Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

First time owner - Finally!

First port of call for new members
Z4ZeeGermans

Post by Z4ZeeGermans » Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:19 am

Hey there fellow Z4 enthusiasts!

After many years, I have bought my first car and a 2003 2.5 Z4 at that! It is such a cool car, can't wait to spend my weekends maintaining it :rofl:

As the current market is a bit crazy all I could find was an example with 109k miles on the clock. Somehow the roof works without any issues and the motor is not relocated. The struts seem to work fine, but they're slightly rusted on the outside. I need to figure out how to integrate a bluetooth to the radio system. The buttons for wing mirror adjustment only works for downward movement... The engine and the brakes are very smooth, no issues with the clutch thankfully.

This is exciting! :D Hello again to all!

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:29 am

Oh man

You broke the cardinal rule

No photo!

Next you’ll be telling us you fitted a stubby aerial!

Welcome though… enjoy your new motor!
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

Z4ZeeGermans

Post by Z4ZeeGermans » Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:38 am

Z4.jpeg
Z4.jpeg (155.33 KiB) Viewed 421 times

It's been like 15 years since I posted on any forum, be gentle :rofl:

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Zedebee » Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:03 am

Welcome to the forum. Don’t worry about the mileage if she’s been well looked after, plenty of higher milers on here. Nice daisies :thumbsup:
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:42 am

Good morning and welcome.
My better half has a 53-plate version of your car, with 102k on it. I don't think the engine mileage is a big issue tbh, but that mileage applied to suspension etc does take it's toll.
In the 16 months we've had ours I've overhauled the VANOS (much smoother running), upgraded the DISA valve for peace of mind, fitted a new expansion tank as the old one started to leak, new water pump (again, it started to leak), new starter motor as the old one died.
A couple of weeks ago I swapped out the rear shocks as it still had the originals on. They looked perfectly ok on inspection, but once off the car they were obviously as much use as two pieces of straw! The handling is vastly improved and I'm now gathering the bits to do the front end.
Sounds like a horrendous list but all these jobs are pretty straightforward and you know an old car is going to need stuff like this.
The good thing is, there's plenty of experience on the forum to help when you need it.
Enjoy your new toy. :thumbsup:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Z4ZeeGermans

Post by Z4ZeeGermans » Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:48 am

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

Yeah I forgot to mention, I already have the expansion tank in mind as I know it'll get fragile over extended period of usage and it's relatively cheap and simple to take care of.

As I said, I've got my hands full. I am arranging my shopping cart for the tools at the moment (you know, a good torque wrench, bits, jacks etc.)

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:58 am

Z4ZeeGermans wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:48 am Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

Yeah I forgot to mention, I already have the expansion tank in mind as I know it'll get fragile over extended period of usage and it's relatively cheap and simple to take care of.

As I said, I've got my hands full. I am arranging my shopping cart for the tools at the moment (you know, a good torque wrench, bits, jacks etc.)
Whereabouts are you?
Some tools you may only use once in a blue moon, so if there's a member nearby who's happy to help out it may save some initial outlay.
Main thing that springs to mind being a decent code reader.

Z4ZeeGermans

Post by Z4ZeeGermans » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:06 am

I'm currently in Grimsby. Though I am looking to move house somewhere in Suffolk soon. #!'^='!£#$! pandemic flung a spanner in all my plans...

And yeah, I downloaded some software (forgot the exact name) for that, and I have a spare laptop just fit for the occasion. All I need I'm hoping is the proper cable now.

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:09 am

Z4ZeeGermans wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:06 am I'm currently in Grimsby. Though I am looking to move house somewhere in Suffolk soon.

And yeah, I downloaded some software (forgot the exact name) for that, and I have a spare laptop just fit for the occasion. All I need I'm hoping is the proper cable now.
Ah!

Well as the better half comes from GY and we are always back there I’ll pop my hand up to help with owt if needed eh?

Plus we only live over in Lincoln so same applies- happy to help-

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

Z4ZeeGermans

Post by Z4ZeeGermans » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:30 am

bigwinn wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:09 am
Z4ZeeGermans wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:06 am I'm currently in Grimsby. Though I am looking to move house somewhere in Suffolk soon.

Ah!

Well as the better half comes from GY and we are always back there I’ll pop my hand up to help with owt if needed eh?

:thumbsup: you got it mate!

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:36 am

Z4ZeeGermans wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:30 am
bigwinn wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:09 am

Ah!

:thumbsup: you got it mate!
And depending where in Suffolk once you move, likewise from me. :D

Z4ZeeGermans

Post by Z4ZeeGermans » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:56 am

Alright, added both of you in my friends list on the forum. :thumbsup: Cheers!

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:20 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

As you posted a photo in your 2nd post I think you'll escape any attention from the photo police! :lol:

Smart looking car too.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black