Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Previous Z3 owner hankering after a convertible again

First port of call for new members
Jimafblack59

Post by Jimafblack59 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:31 pm

Thanks for letting me join this forum.

I've previously owned a Mazda MX6 and a Z3, but had to part with both due to rust problems. I made the mistake of trying to remediate the MX5 problem but that was money down the drain as it quickly returned (was a respire rather than a proper refurb). When the Z3 started to rust on the rear wheel arches and cills I quickly tidied it up and sold it.

I've looked again at MX-5s and these still seem blighted with the same rust problems unless the car is Waxoiled from new and checked very year.

So looking again at BMW and have always liked the Z4. So read up on most of the common mechanical and electrical issues which many of the cars I've looked at have been addressed.

Would love to get an honest and unbiased view from owners about rust problems and how typical these are in well looked after Z4s. From what I've read the typical problems are rear wheel arches and boot lids, but I might just be getting paranoid about convertibles and rust!!

Thanks again for letting me join the forum,

Jim
Attachments
IMG_4359.jpg
IMG_4359.jpg (177.95 KiB) Viewed 211 times

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:54 pm

Hi Jim, welcome to the forum.

Nice looking Z3, I assume you are looking at an e85 ragtop :driving:
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:23 pm

Hi and welcome Jim. :thumbsup:

You'll fit right in on here with a photo in your first post!

The only rust issues I've read about on the forum relate to some E86 (Coupe) tailgates but it's easy to see with the tailgate open, and rear brake pipes in front of the passenger side rear wheel.

A couple of people have had rusty sumps that end up leaking, but that seems to be more of a problem if the plastic undershild is missing. And wings can rust around the wheelarches if the arch liner doesn't stop water getting to the wings. But they're bolt on panels so not structural.

I'd stick to 6 cylinder ones as for me having a straight 6 is one of the Z4s unique features. 2.2i, 2.5i and 3.0i cost the same to run as they use the same engine just in different sizes. Facelifts use a later generation N52 engine in 2.5i, 2.5Si and 3.0Si spec and again probably all cost the same to run. So if budget allows you might as well go big!

All that relates to the E85 Roadster. The E89 with the folding metal roof is a bit different but I don't think you had those in mind.

Now you just need to find one!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:34 pm

Does this one for the bill - viewtopic.php?f=41&t=129786
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.