Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

First port of call for new members
Tzahrkiya

Post by Tzahrkiya » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:25 am

Hi everyone, new member, just picked up my z4 yesterday.

Came from an audi tts with 315bhp 425nm of torque but was just finding it too boring to drive. Yes it was fast and nimble but it just felt like a big go-kart and wanted to get something you can actually drive.

I picked up a 2012 z4 2.0 20i msport in space grey with 49k miles on it and is a really clean car, needs a detail right enough but spent all day out in it yesterday and I am loving it, even have the sunburn to prove it haha (need to buy a hat).

Let the modding commence, after a detail of course lol.
IMG_20210612_153343.jpg
IMG_20210612_153343.jpg (274.47 KiB) Viewed 938 times

PointedMarlin

Post by PointedMarlin » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:48 am

Hi & welcome

Lovely looking car you’ll get kudos for posting a pic in your first post :thumbsup:

There are loads of threads on modding in the e89 section depending upon how far down the rabbit hole you want to go & how handy you are at stuff like that

I’m still a noob myself having only picked mine up a month ago & barely done 100 miles in it. I also came from Audi ( but not a TT)

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:31 pm

Welcome if you want a long list of mods just ask :thumbsup: :driving:

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:02 pm

A very fine looking Z4. Welcome to the forum. :)

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:21 pm

Hi and welcome
Nice looking Zed you have, in the best colour I might add :D
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

Reamesy

Post by Reamesy » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:38 pm

Stunning car. Welcome to the forum :driving:
Currently; 2011 E89 23i SDrive M Sport Highline Titan Silver
Previously;
2014 SLK250CDI AMG Sport
2012 E89 SDrive 2.0 M Sport. White
2011 Audi TT Quattro
2006 Z4 2.5 Sport
2013 420D coupe
2002 Z3 2.2 Sport
1996 Z3 1.9

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:04 pm

Hi and welcome - bonus points for a photo too. :thumbsup:

Your car looks great too!

You mention modding - how long until you get a remap? :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Haggisman

Post by Haggisman » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:34 pm

Welcome to Z ownership and a the forum. Plenty advice on here on how to rob the wallet with ‘improvements’ for the E89. The fun begins.
2003 Toledo Blue 3.0 E85 Manual
2008 Volvo V50 - Dog Car
2020 Kia Sportage GT - Her Indoor’s Car
1995 Dakar Yellow M3 E36 Race Car - Sold
2009 Vauxhall Astra VXR - Sold
2003 350Z well modded - Sold
1992 911 RS - Sold and still in mourning

Tzahrkiya

Post by Tzahrkiya » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:44 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone...

With regards to modding I`m not a stranger to it, I had a pug 207gt before the audi and went mental on modding that, took it up to being one of the top 5 quickest in uk with a healthy stage 4 remap at 247.4 bhp and around the 260nm of torque mark. Then I moved onto the audi tts and only really added an induction kit, uprated the bov and custom exhaust with a stage 1 315bhp 425nm torque.... had the pug for 6 or 7 years, the audi didnt even last 2 before I got bored with it...

So I`m not going down a mega rabbit hole with the z4 but I do intend to do some mechanical and some asthetic mods, I already have a little wishlist on ebay that appears to be growing quickly haha :p
but first of all even though it was recently serviced I`m still gonna get it serviced again, more for piece of mind and I already clocked the belt at the front needs replacing sooner rather than later.

But in terms of what I have planned:
mechanical:
custom exhaust (defo)
stage 1 remap (defo)
replace run flats with real tyres (defo)
uprate bov? (not looked into this)
cold air induction? (not really looked at this either)
asthetic:
detailing and paint correction
black kydney grills
roof wrapped
retro indicators (wrapped if cant get them black)
stubby ariel
rear/side/front lips (not 100% sure on these yet)
boot lip spoiler (defo not a bgwing)
wheel colour change (the silver is nice but possible black to compliment and tie in the rest of what i have planned visually)
wind deflector (probably custom make this)

thats all I can think of just now anyway lol,, took a few more pics today after a quick wash...
z4sidestock.jpg
z4sidestock.jpg (219.52 KiB) Viewed 844 times
z4frontstock.jpg
z4frontstock.jpg (182.7 KiB) Viewed 844 times
z4diagstock.jpg
z4diagstock.jpg (241.49 KiB) Viewed 844 times

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:54 pm

If it's a manual add removing the Clutch Delay Valve to the list!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:47 pm

hello and welcome, nice looking zed :thumbsup:
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

jabber
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jabber » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:53 pm

Hi and welcome :thumbsup:
Z less again
14 E89 Z4 2.0 msport grey gone now
10 E89 Z4 3.0 Black auto now. Very sadly gone
Gone 04 E85 z4 3.0 Maldives blue smg

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:45 pm

For an N20 the BOV and alternative air intake generates noise but little if no benefit..plus increases engine wear..

A 200 cell cat would help the exhaust tone and improve performance…a custom exhaust just makes a noise…

All IMHO..but I’ve been there..

You can buy gloss black post LCI repeaters.. :thumbsup:

Stubby is really bad news..but you knew that :tumbleweed: :rofl:

Tzahrkiya

Post by Tzahrkiya » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:33 am

Pbondar the upgrade to the bov I would be tempted to go for would be gfb dv+, not actually for the noise but the pug had one before I moved to a forge recirc and the audi had one too I cant fault them, its more a piece of mind thing as you replace any components in the existing bov with metal ones removing the any chance of things like a diaphram splitting. Air intake I am not overly fussed about to be honest, as you say theres little to no performance gain on these anyway.
With exhausts when I say custom I am not talking about an ebay special, I had my audi done at stainless creations (falkirk) and asked to be able to hear it on tick over, have a bit of gruff when you put the foot down and no drone, I got exactly what I asked for so I will be going back there again for full turboback custom with sports cat.
Struggling to find the repeaters in anything other than chrome without a largely added price tag, easier to buy them at the avg price and just wrap them and yes I know stubbys are crap, I dont listen to anything other than the actual car when I`m driving tbh. If I do it`ll be a cd/phone playlist, not the radio.

On a sidenote: I want to get the hinges etc greased back up on the roof and have lithium grease coming today, I watched a vid the other day and it was mentioned about putting the roof into "maintenance mode"? Anyone know/tell me how to do this as struggling to find anything about it.

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:46 am

Tzahrkiya, all copied :thumbsup:

I think for the N20 there is only one decent sport cat from Evolution works..

Not being addicted to extra noise I found the sports cat added a nice bass well rounded tone to the exhaust..you may want to try that part first and see how you get on? :thumbsup:

BOV wise of course you should do what you have good experience off...I'm just not aware in my last 4-5 years of N20 twiddling with any issues with the standard BOV..

I was fortunate my OE gloss black repeaters were same-ish price as chrome ones..

Of course on the E89 the presence of a stubby or whippy make little difference as there are several other aerials secreted around the body of the car..I likewise have a serious audio system with around 500 CD/6000 tracks loaded into my USB and ipod systems.

In terms of lubrication the offical advice is don't..but many people have with ast least placebo level positive responses.. :tumbleweed:

The simplest thing is to motor the roof into one of about three positions and apply lubricants as you see fit in those positions..

So roof pack together but up, boot lid fully up and clamshels stowed and any other interim position to get to the points you missed! :thumbsup: