Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4 Build

First port of call for new members
jamesdi

Z4 Build

Post by jamesdi » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:16 am

Hi all.

Not quite new here but bought a 2003 E85 Z4 3.0i SMG Flappy-paddle last year. Will be going forced induction (turbo) so decided I should make a progress/build thread...

Just finished installing a full new Powerflex suspension kit (all new Powerflex rubber bushes, subframe mounting bushes, adjustable rear control arms etc etc... OEM engine mounts, droplinks and top mounts as Powerflex don't make them...) Every suspension part is basically new now and I'm lowered on H&R springs on konis with 19inch wheels. I have had it aligned on Z4M settings and its ok and firm just now...

However, the whole driving experience is ruined by few issues I'm having, and I would also like to discuss a few topics in detail.

Firstly, and most of all, the power steering doesn't work properly. I get a steering wheel symbol with exclamation mark on the dashboard and the sport mode button is always permanently on. After driving for roughly 30-45mins the power steering comes back on and the car feels light and great again and I can switch sport mode on and off as normal now.

Secondly, when I move the SMG gear selector to any other gear, like D or R, the N light always stays on with whatever gear I select (If I put car in D, both N and D will illuminate?) Car drives fine however. Is this telling me something?

Thirdly, drivers window doesn't go up or down correctly. When I press window button, the window only drops a tiny bit and I can hear the wire spooling around behind the doorcard. Sounds like the runners arent working correctly? I will take the door cards off and investigate this weekend...

These are the main issues I want fixed for now so I can at least get a feel for the car and enjoy it before I start the turbo work. I'd be grateful if anyone can offer any advice or point in the right direction. I will update this thread as I go along.

Cheers

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Z4 Build

Post by markplant » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:55 am

The window issue is the regulator,
You can either get a complete new unit or a repair kit
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Z4 Build

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:01 pm

Well firstly welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

It sounds like you have an interesting project started so it will be interesting to see how you get on. But you can still post a photo of your car (we like photos on here)!

Anyway maybe this thread will help with your window problem:- viewtopic.php?f=3&t=84373

And this one may be useful for your steering issue:- viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127648&p=1834429&hi ... g#p1834429

Good luck getting your car as it should be. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black