Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Hello! New member - still awaiting a Zed

First port of call for new members
Trumpetdude

Post by Trumpetdude » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:52 pm

Hey folks,
Enjoyed reading through the posts so far. Lovely pics and cars out there!

I'll be in the market for an E89 2.0i M sport (hopefully) in a few months so I'm doing my research now. I'm not scared of getting my hands dirty either so the tech pages will come in handy! It'll be a daily hence the smaller engine.

I'm trying to find out how well the 2.0 engines remap? I've got Superchips / Bluefin map on my old Passat and I've had no issues. Is there a preferred map folks are using?

Anyway, looking forward to hanging out.. I've ye to update my garage / signature so for now his is what we've got in the stables.

Mitsubishi PHEV Outlander
VW B6 passat estate, (Bluefine remap)
VW t5, (non converted - non camper 🤘)
BMW r1100s
HD Iron 883

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:56 pm

Welcome!!

Look forward to photos when you get your new motor: most will tell you on here to go 6 cylinder goodness over 4?

Just dont get them started on whippy vs stubby aerial

:rofl:

Stuart
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:56 pm

Welcome and good luck with your search.
Delve deeper and you'll find many articles on remaps.
The 18, 20 and 28 all use the same engine with different mapping, so that may help widen your search.
I and several others have a pretty safe 270-280 bhp map, of which there are several purveyors. Tbh, for me its the improved torque and its wider range that make the most difference.
Given one or two bad experiences that have befallen other members, I'd highly recommend going to a rolling road to have it done.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Trumpetdude

Post by Trumpetdude » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:28 pm

Hey guys, cheers for the replies. I've no shame in a 4 pot at all. Whilst I'd love a 6, (it maaay yet happen) 15k+ miles a year would be a more hefty fuel bill that the smiles would balance out.

biZ4rreMids

Post by biZ4rreMids » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:32 pm

Hi and welcome.

As said above 280bhp and 400+ nm of torque is easily and safely available through a remap. I used a company with a rolling road system and the graph below shows the before and after power and torque numbers.
Attachments
F6184079-2441-4A52-B164-2D506442F806.png
F6184079-2441-4A52-B164-2D506442F806.png (380 KiB) Viewed 569 times
Speed Yellow Porsche Boxster S
Previous:
Melbourne red 2016 20i MSport with a few subtle mods
Titanium Silver 2004 3.0SE with run flats

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:50 pm

Welcome to the forum. Happy hunting. :)

PointedMarlin

Post by PointedMarlin » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:40 pm

Hi & welcome

Good luck with the search :thumbsup: :driving:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:00 pm

Hi and welcome. :thumbsup:

For a daily driver I can see why a 4 cylinder makes more sense. In any case after a remap it'll be more powerful than the 6 cylinder 30i!

Good luck finding the right Z4.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:07 pm

Hello and welcome, the 6cyl is pretty economical - I can get 40+ on a run and low 30's mixed.

Not certain how much better a 4 pot is - Good luck with the search :thumbsup:
Last edited by Ole gits rule on Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:33 pm

Trumpetdude wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:52 pm I'm trying to find out how well the 2.0 engines remap?
Hello and welcome. As said above, if you are looking to remap it is easily done for little money, low risk and transforms the 18i and 20i. The 28i with 245bhp is what BMW intended the N20 to be out of the box, but for marketing reasons "de-tuned" it for the 20 and 18. Therefore, if you are looking to remap, don't discount the 18i as long as it is specced with what you want. I have an 18i which I've had mapped by Superchips (remap-kings now as superchips went bust and were taken over by them) and it is a world apart from the standard; it's the torque more than the headline BHP figure.
Good luck with your search, there are many good E89s out there which have been used as summer toys all their life. :thumbsup:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Trumpetdude

Post by Trumpetdude » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:19 pm

Thanks folks. I'm not in a massive hurry so I'll have time to look at all the options, it took my 3 years to find the right van :lol:!

Apart from cruise control for me, are there any must haves you folks wouldn't be without? I've noticed that the auto seems to be more efficient than he manual on paper... Any thoughts there?

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:13 pm

Trumpetdude wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:19 pm Thanks folks. I'm not in a massive hurry so I'll have time to look at all the options, it took my 3 years to find the right van :lol:!

Apart from cruise control for me, are there any must haves you folks wouldn't be without? I've noticed that the auto seems to be more efficient than he manual on paper... Any thoughts there?
Heated seats is a must have - makes the car more usable in the colder months for year round topless motoring :thumbsup:
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Trumpetdude

Post by Trumpetdude » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:29 pm

So, the jury is still out. I'm right on the edge now of of 2.0i Z or 3 series convertible because diesel :(. Decisions decisions! I know where the smiles are to be found... Am I really too tight to deprive myself of roadster fun?! :driving: :o :roll:

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:36 pm

Trumpetdude wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:29 pm So, the jury is still out. I'm right on the edge now of of 2.0i Z or 3 series convertible because diesel :(. Decisions decisions! I know where the smiles are to be found... Am I really too tight to deprive myself of roadster fun?! :driving: :o :roll:
If you need the economy then the 3 series but the 4 is more of a purest car so it depends on the way the car is used, I have a Corsa to run round in so the zed is a weekend toy but if I needed a decent car to do more mileage then a 4 series vert would be my choice :thumbsup:

Trumpetdude

Post by Trumpetdude » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:14 am

Ole gits rule wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:36 pm
Trumpetdude wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:29 pm So, the jury is still out. I'm right on the edge now of of 2.0i Z or 3 series convertible because diesel :(. Decisions decisions! I know where the smiles are to be found... Am I really too tight to deprive myself of roadster fun?! :driving: :o :roll:
If you need the economy then the 3 series but the 4 is more of a purest car so it depends on the way the car is used, I have a Corsa to run round in so the zed is a weekend toy but if I needed a decent car to do more mileage then a 4 series vert would be my choice :thumbsup:
yeah, good point on the 4 series, a bit more current all round I suppose, we don't need that amount of space which is why I initially (and still do really) want the Z4. I'll take a look at at the 2 series convertible too, so many options! (got to be rwd!).