Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Excited to join the Z4 owners club! However very anxious about first e85 purchase.

First port of call for new members
Devonport

Excited to join the Z4 owners club! However very anxious about first e85 purchase.

Post by Devonport » Sat May 29, 2021 9:55 am

Hi everyone!
Have enjoyed browsing some subjects on this forum, particularly those relating to e85 and some of the problems encountered by owners. Have always been encouraged by the friendly / non judgemental response of fellow owners.

On the verge of taking the plunge and purchasing my first Zed (e85) budget on the smaller side (3k-3.5k) literally couldn't me more excited and apprehensive at the same time !

I was keen to hear some opinions on the importance of the roof motor being in its original state and location? Or buying one that's not working 😕? What costs am I likely to be looking at to fix this issue (new motor and relocation?)

I've seen a listing of a z4 which states the microswitch for the shelf at the boot needs fixing ? Without scowering the net I'm not sure what this means ?

Is there anything else I really need to be more concerned about? Or am I just being O.T.T 🤷‍♂️ (YOU CAN SAY YES)

LOOKING forward to posting pics of my Zed ... eventually !

:Devonport:

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Post by inkey$ » Sat May 29, 2021 10:11 am

Welcome along and yes; you’re being slightly paranoid but then I’d also say its good to look out for these things and do you due diligence on a car (and a forum is a greta place for that). You’ll read about motor relocations, springs breaking, various other gremlins of course, but then these things are written about because they happen sometimes and you don't hear about the many many more where they don't happen.

For what its worth, my advice - as somebody thats owned 4 x E85/86 Z4’s in various guises - is to visit the forum buyers guide checklist (link below) and get the best and most honest example you can that has decent history with the money you have. Buying from the forum will help you achieve that, and putting up a wanted ad here will certainly get you a few message from people thinking of selling. The added bonus is you’ll likely have a forum history for the car too.

Speaking specifically the roof motor relocation - depends on where its parked and how worried you are. If it fails then a replacement is pretty easy to get hold of and you just relocate as and when it dies.

Check springs (they break but are super cheap/easy to replace) and of course look for any leaks. More info here if you really want to get detailed with your checklist.

viewtopic.php?t=21281

The most important thing is enjoy! Its just a car, they’re pretty robust things - even at nearly 20 years old - and easily fixed if it goes wrong.

Good luck with your search!
Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

davidmudley12

Post by davidmudley12 » Sat May 29, 2021 10:18 am

Devonport wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 9:55 am I've seen a listing of a z4 which states the microswitch for the shelf at the boot needs fixing ? Without scowering the net I'm not sure what this means ?

:Devonport:
The micro switch is a cheap part that can sometime fail / break, it tell the car whether the storage compartment for the roof (in the top of the boot) is in the up or down position. If it is up I.e. tucked away for more boot capacity it won’t let the roof go down. Naturally, if it doesn’t work you can’t lower the roof.

It sounds like a good price negotiation point but in reality it’ll cost you peanuts to replace and for yourself.

Here’s a guide that’ll help you get a sense of what it is and what’s involved in replacing it: https://www.bmwrepairguide.com/bmw-z4-c ... ch-repair/

There are likely to be good guides on the forum too if you search.

Good luck and enjoy the buying and driving process.
Current cars: 2006 3.0si E85 Sapphire Black, cruise, MFSW.
BMW 535d Touring (F11)
Skoda Fabia 1.2
BMW S1000XR

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sat May 29, 2021 10:44 am

Welcome to the forum. The original design for the roof motor location was poor. The after market relocation to the boot, that many have done, is more reliable long term, if it's been done right. Hope you find a decent car for your budget. :)

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Sat May 29, 2021 11:45 am

Hello and welcome - hope you find a great car.

There are a few people on here such as Number 5 (Alan) who will relocate your roof motor quite reasonably - just depends where you are located if that is a worry :thumbsup:

Buy one and enjoy it - worrying about the car will cause you to not enjoy owning a fun car which is what it is all about :D
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sat May 29, 2021 12:03 pm

Regarding the roof motor is somebody came tried to negotiate the price down because it's still in it's original location I would tell them where to go. My car is 15 years old and the original motor is still working fine. I know it's an issue but not that big a deal. The roof men move them for £150-£200 so not huge expense if you are not up to the job yourself.

Only thing ! personally wold avoid is the 2.0i, not because it's a 4 port, but because of the engine problems they seem to suffer with (mainly EML lights). If you can get a 6cyl then you won't regret it, they are all good.

Devonport

Post by Devonport » Sat May 29, 2021 12:10 pm

Thanks for all these replies!

Definitely some sound advice there :)

Feeling very welcomed and can relax and enjoy this experience a little more 😂

Cheers all !

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sat May 29, 2021 12:51 pm

Devonport wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 12:10 pm Thanks for all these replies!

Definitely some sound advice there :)

Feeling very welcomed and can relax and enjoy this experience a little more 😂

Cheers all !
Welcome aboard. Agree with all the above.
Why not stick a 'wanted' on the forum, specify basically what you are looking for and your budget.
Then if any forum member is thinking of selling they'll know you're looking. They won't always think to check the Newbie section.
And of course your level of mechanical knowledge/confidence will make a difference. If you don't mind getting your hands dirty and are willing to listen and learn then you can do a lot of the fixes yourself.
I bought my missus a 2.5i auto Valentine's present last year. Since then I've learned how to fit new front calipers and discs, overhaul the VANOS and DISA valve and am now lining up a suspension refresh. I got the car for £2600 with 98k on the clock and it's still purrs along nicely.
Happy hunting. :thumbsup:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat May 29, 2021 8:24 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum, and also your search for your E85. :thumbsup:

If your user name is a clue to your location Number 5 (Alan) near Bristol will be your nearest forum member for relocating the roof motor, and dead ones can sometimes be revived! Roof operation is just another feature to check when you are doing the usual checks on a prspective purchase.

Happy hunting!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Sat May 29, 2021 8:34 pm

Great to see when the Z, whose design will be coming up for 20 years old soon, are still stirring the souls of the upcoming generations :thumbsup:

Good luck & hunting :driving:
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

Devonport

Post by Devonport » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:19 pm

Made the jump.... 8)
Picking her up in a couple of days !
Went for the 2.5
2004 - 86k miles
I'll let you know how big the smile is on my face when I drive her the 60 miles back home !!
Attachments
20210606_182449.jpg
20210606_182449.jpg (205.62 KiB) Viewed 536 times

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:30 pm

Devonport wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:19 pm Made the jump....
Picking her up in a couple of days !
Went for the 2.5
2004 - 86k miles
I'll let you know how big the smile is on my face when I drive her the 60 miles back home !!
Well done, that looks cracking with the CSL rep wheels. You got that for £3.5k? If so, very well done.
Actually, edit that. It has a stubby aerial. That reduces values by about £2k! :thumbsup: :D
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

clarker63

Post by clarker63 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:37 pm

Pondrew wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:30 pm Actually, edit that. It has a stubby aerial. That reduces values by about £2k!
but conversely I am told its the best power/buck performance mod you can buy.. :fuelfire:

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:43 pm

Devonport wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 9:55 am edit that. It has a stubby aerial.
You on the Sherry? That’s not a stubby on that car

OP, congratulations, lovely looking car and wheels suit it well. Enjoy your drive home and you’ll definitely have a smile on your face :driving:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Pondrew
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:07 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:43 pm You on the Sherry? That’s not a stubby on that car
    I'm not but think you may be!. Those things behind are RAILINGS :lol:

It may be a "whubby", I'll give you that :D
    All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
    E89 20i Now fully dried
    Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
    Mazda3 sold
    Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!