Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Finally (hopefully) able to get a zed at last

First port of call for new members
Ozyboyross

Post by Ozyboyross » Tue May 25, 2021 3:14 pm

Well around a year ago I was looking at a Z4 and was active on here asking questions and keeping my eye on the classifieds but due to works location, commuting etc the planets didn't align and I bought a Mini Cooper S, now although fun, ive never really "fallen" for it, so as I now do like 6 miles a day, and could walk/cycle if needed, Im going to take advantage of the current market and sell it for £11k to a dealer and get out of the PCP hole ive fallen into while its worth more than my outstanding finance amount. (only paid £12k last year for it)

Im really excited about getting a zed finally! id love the newer hard top (e89 I think), but I think that might be a stretch too far so more than likely an E87

Ill be looking for anything with a big straight 6 in it, and will have around £4k ish to spend, do you think its do able? or will I get a dog? I could spend more if needed, im just trying to stick to a budget for once haha
Currently Zedless but hopefully not for long!

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Zedebee » Tue May 25, 2021 3:24 pm

Welcome to the forum. You should be able to get a 2.2 or 2.5 roadster (E85) for that money or maybe an early 3.0. Be prepared to spend a bit of money on preventative maintenance as cheaper cars may look nice but won’t have had the money spent on them.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

Ozyboyross

Post by Ozyboyross » Tue May 25, 2021 3:28 pm

Zedebee wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:24 pm Welcome to the forum. You should be able to get a 2.2 or 2.5 roadster (E85) for that money or maybe an early 3.0. Be prepared to spend a bit of money on preventative maintenance as cheaper cars may look nice but won’t have had the money spent on them.
Thanks mate, ive been itching for a zed for a long time now

How much would I need to spend to get a well sorted trouble free 2.2 or 2.5 then? think id be after a roadster as lovely as the coupe is to look at, they are out of my budget

How much is a well sorted 3.0? as that would be my preference if I could stretch to one.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Tue May 25, 2021 3:39 pm

Hello. From what I've seen with regard prices, you will struggle to find a decent 6 cylinder E85 for £4k. You may find a few cars for that sort of money but I, for one, would be wary. You said E87, so not sure if you are looking at the roadster E85, or tintop coupe E86? If the latter you are very unlikely to find anything for that budget.
You will easily get a half decent 2L 4 cylinder E85 for 4k. I would say more like £5-6k for a 2.2 or 2.5. Then £6k plus for a 3 litre. Just a rule of thumb, IMO.
The bargain Z4 at the moment is definitely the later E89 23i with the 2.5 straight six. They are going for as little as £6k. More than you want to spend but a bargain for what you get IMO.
Keep an eye on the for sale on here; there has been a constant stream of all variants lately. Good luck with whatever you decide :thumbsup:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Ozyboyross

Post by Ozyboyross » Tue May 25, 2021 4:54 pm

Pondrew wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:39 pm Hello. From what I've seen with regard prices, you will struggle to find a decent 6 cylinder E85 for £4k. You may find a few cars for that sort of money but I, for one, would be wary. You said E87, so not sure if you are looking at the roadster E85, or tintop coupe E86? If the latter you are very unlikely to find anything for that budget.
You will easily get a half decent 2L 4 cylinder E85 for 4k. I would say more like £5-6k for a 2.2 or 2.5. Then £6k plus for a 3 litre. Just a rule of thumb, IMO.
The bargain Z4 at the moment is definitely the later E89 23i with the 2.5 straight six. They are going for as little as £6k. More than you want to spend but a bargain for what you get IMO.
Keep an eye on the for sale on here; there has been a constant stream of all variants lately. Good luck with whatever you decide :thumbsup:
Hiya,

Thanks for the advice, I could push to £6-7k if needs be, I’m just trying to spend less if I can, I don’t really want a 2.0 tbh (sorry to any owners) but I think I’d find it very underpowered after what I’ve had before!

I meant e85 you are correct, I would love a coupe but they are a lot more!

If I ever see an e89 for £6k I’d have there hand off! I’d love that shape!

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Tue May 25, 2021 5:09 pm

Ozyboyross wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 4:54 pm If I ever see an e89 for £6k I’d have there hand off! I’d love that shape!
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... ars&page=1
Only a quick example to show it is just about do-able!
You would get a good 23i for £7k privately IMO
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Tue May 25, 2021 5:19 pm

Pondrew wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 5:09 pm
Ozyboyross wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 4:54 pm If I ever see an e89 for £6k I’d have there hand off! I’d love that shape!
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... ars&page=1
Only a quick example to show it is just about do-able!
You would get a good 23i for £7k privately IMO
That is cheap but big mileage at 136k - a few have gone for £6k but more when people are desperate to sell from what I have seen.

Anything with sensedble mileage on an e89 is £8k upwards.

Good luck with the search, but if you cango to £6k then that should get a really nice e85 or bide your time and go to £7k for an e89 with 90k plus miles - they are out there :thumbsup:
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Tue May 25, 2021 5:48 pm

Ole gits rule wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 5:19 pm That is cheap but big mileage at 136k
Agreed. It was only to show the OP it is possible (ish). I just looked for the cheapest 23i on AT. Everything on eBay seems a lot more ATM.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Tue May 25, 2021 6:39 pm

Pondrew wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 5:48 pm
Ole gits rule wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 5:19 pm That is cheap but big mileage at 136k
Agreed. It was only to show the OP it is possible (ish). I just looked for the cheapest 23i on AT. Everything on eBay seems a lot more ATM.
Yep - everything is much more at the moment on all three main sites, must be summer premium (well almost) :D
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Tue May 25, 2021 6:43 pm

Have you seen this one, nice mileage and in budget - missing heated seats though - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194154101686 ... Swvr9gq4ZM

If you want an e89 - I am sure a deal can be done on one of these https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... BMW&page=2

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... BMW&page=4

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Tue May 25, 2021 7:06 pm

Ole gits rule wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 6:39 pm must be summer premium (well almost)
Must be. Our Z4 has done 0.00 miles since March 'cos it hasn't stopped p*ssing it down; and it's been freezing cold. :o

Ole Gits Rule wrote: "If you want an e89 - I am sure a deal can be done on one of these"

You're now doing an AA . OP stated £4k budget, within an hour you've got him up to £8k! :lol: :lol:

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue May 25, 2021 7:20 pm

Welcome to the forum, and hopefully Z4 ownership soon!

Good luck with your search. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Tue May 25, 2021 7:30 pm

Pondrew wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 7:06 pm
Ole gits rule wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 6:39 pm must be summer premium (well almost)
Must be. Our Z4 has done 0.00 miles since March 'cos it hasn't stopped p*ssing it down; and it's been freezing cold. :o

Ole Gits Rule wrote: "If you want an e89 - I am sure a deal can be done on one of these"

You're now doing an AA . OP stated £4k budget, within an hour you've got him up to £8k! :lol: :lol:
I am sure he said he could go to £7k if need be - I could do an AA and push the op to £10k :rofl:

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Tue May 25, 2021 8:03 pm

Pondrew wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 7:06 pm You're now doing an AA .
Ole gits rule wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 7:30 pm I could do an AA
How do you pair know he’s not in the RAC :poke:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Pondrew
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Tue May 25, 2021 8:16 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:03 pm How do you pair know he’s not in the RAC
    Boom boom. Are you here all week? :lol:
    And will you two stop hi-jacking other people's genuine threads? I'm going to call you the Belarussians from now on (sorry can't spell the president's name) :D

F31 320i. Good car.
    E89 20i Now fully dried
    Mazda3 sold