Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Newbie looking at the E89

First port of call for new members
Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:48 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:23 pm Smash,

You seen this one Ash? Reasonably well spec’d, decent mileage and mot history looks ok. Only thing might be basic stereo and no iDrive

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... esc&page=1
Saw that one yesterday and didnt point it our as no iDrive and Se spec :D
Last edited by Ole gits rule on Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Smash

Post by Smash » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:56 pm

Ole gits rule wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:48 pm
Argyll Andy wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:23 pm Smash,

You seen this one Ash? Reasonably well spec’d, decent mileage and mot history looks ok. Only thing might be basic stereo and no iDrive

Saw that one yesterday and dint point it our as no iDrive and Se spec :D
Yep I did, was on the fence about it, lovely looking and great mileage but to me the price seems a bit top end for an SE.

Smash

Post by Smash » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:59 pm

This was forwarded to me earlier. An SE but with idrive and lowish mileage.
https://www.tbowlesvehiclesales.co.uk/u ... oor-10127/
Thoughts?

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:06 pm

Smash wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:59 pm This was forwarded to me earlier. An SE but with idrive and lowish mileage.
Thoughts?
Looks clean and tidy, nice colour and interior - has the toys you want at the right price and mileage.

You can change the wheels if you want so its just the sport bit, I think you should have a conversation with the dealer and go from there :thumbsup:

Although its the same price as the black one
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:15 pm

Smash wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:59 pm This was forwarded to me earlier. An SE but with idrive and lowish mileage.
Thoughts?
:rofl: Ash, you’re bloody confusing me now :rofl: . That’s the same mileage, model and price as the one I linked :wink:

For me if you’re asking for thoughts I’m going to compare both these cars

Grey one, small wheels, iDrive, SE heated seats, parking sensors no wind deflector, old style indicators, no mention of service history

Black one, 18” refurbed 294’s, no iDrive, MSport heated seats, parking sensors, wind deflector, old style indicators, good service history

My choice would be the black one because, upgraded wheels, better seats, and wind deflector. Possible spend, upgrade stereo £500, upgrade indicators £120 total spend £620

Grey one, upgrade wheels £700+, wind deflector £150 ish, indicators £120 total spend £970.

Which brings us back to where we’ve been a few times. If you’re going to buy a car like this and do the upgrades your £11k spend would get you into a newer lower mileage MSport with everything you want in it

All imo :thumbsup:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Smash

Post by Smash » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:23 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:15 pm
    Thoughts?
    :rofl: Ash, you’re bloody confusing me now :rofl: . That’s the same mileage, model and price as the one I linked :wink:

Grey one, small wheels, iDrive, SE heated seats, parking sensors no wind deflector, old style indicators, no mention of service history

Black one, 18” refurbed 294’s, no iDrive, MSport heated seats, parking sensors, wind deflector, old style indicators, good service history

My choice would be the black one because, upgraded wheels, better seats, and wind deflector. Possible spend, upgrade stereo £500, upgrade indicators £120 total spend £620

Grey one, upgrade wheels £700+, wind deflector £150 ish, indicators £120 total spend £970.

Which brings us back to where we’ve been a few times. If you’re going to buy a car like this and do the upgrades your £11k spend would get you into a newer lower mileage MSport with everything you want in it

Fantastic, see I just do not see these things you’ve just mentioned and it helps me to get my head around the hundreds of things added on as extras or missing. I’m used to cars with 2 specs. I can be very indecisive as you can see, I’ve saved up for years so just want to make the right decision.

Ole gits rule
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:31 pm

Smash wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:23 pm
    Thoughts?

Fantastic, see I just do not see these things you’ve just mentioned and it helps me to get my head around the hundreds of things added on as extras or missing. I’m used to cars with 2 specs. I can be very indecisive as you can see, I’ve saved up for years so just want to make the right decision.
    Its the right thing to wait, but maybe chuck a wanted ad in the relevant section on here.

Andy is spot on, I would be taking the black one out of the two but he also stopped me buying a 35i just for the sake of it as it would not have been the colour or spec I wanted and then I would be looking to sell it to get what I wanted.

You want Msport with the toys then you should be looking for a highline Msport but you need to stretch your budget a little, as soon as you start adding stuff on you will soon be on £11 or £12k very quickly :|

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:48 pm

Smash wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:23 pm
    Thoughts?

Ash, the first thing is it’s your money which you’ve saved hard for and your prerogative to be as indecisive and fussy as you want :thumbsup:

Also as you know by now most of our comments are lighthearted and a bit tongue in cheek.

As Sean said I stopped him buying one last week because it wasn’t what he really wanted. This is also probably why your getting more things thrown at you as possibles because your criteria is more fluid.

One thing you maybe want to do is sit down with a bit of paper and list the absolute musts, the would like and the not arsed things and you will be able to discount cars immediately. A quick look, no X, Y or Z, onto the next one.

Another thing that could make the world of difference is if you decide to save for another 6 months to allow you to increase your budget slightly. That may open up a whole new batch of cars for you.

You not wanting a white car, again I completely understand, even though I said out the two id pick the black one, I wouldn’t want a black car because of the hassle of keeping it clean :lol: but one of the best buys around just now is the white Highline I linked the other day, but like Sean you’d be buying something which wasn’t really what you wanted so I’d say don’t even consider it.

Throwing in a bit of a curveball, without knowing details of the car, but since you’ve been considering higher mileage ones, this maybe something you want to check out when more details become available :thumbsup:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255013545599 ... 5013545599

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)

Smash

Post by Smash » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:09 am

All good advice, will write down all the things I want in the car and then I can put it in here. I like the light hearted nature of the forum, seems a lot of good folk here and I’m always in for a bit of a fun. Black dirty car I can live with... just, but a white dirty car eww no.

mr.tourette
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:19 pm

Id take sports seats over i drive any day of the week.. Wouldn't want a black interior tho.. I admire your patience smash, I'd also take se suspension over msport, personally I think all you need in a weekend toy is heated sports seats, and a decent stereo. I went from a fully loaded msport e85 to a fairly lightly specced e89 and the only toy I really missed was the 10 speaker system in the e85 so spent a bit of time sorting that and now love the car despite a lack of trinkets.
      I think the above advice is good, make a list of absolute musts (hint.. Put heated msport seats at the top :D)
      Another list of nice to have and just find a car that covers the musts, any extras are a bonus.. Hope you find a car you love soon :thumbsup:
      if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Argyll Andy
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:28 pm

Ash, hits most of your points, including MSport and budget with a bit of wriggle room in price to upgrade the stereo

Decent mileage and service history.

No iDrive or parking sensors but as Mr Tourettes says, all important heated M seats, no wind deflector but I’ve a spare one kicking around that I will sell you :lol:

PointedMarlin

Post by PointedMarlin » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:11 pm

Ash, just to say I totally agree with a list of non negotiables

One I had my list it was easy to actually wait then pounce when I saw what I wanted I knew I wanted it plus when your comparing specifics you know if it’s a good price or not because you are comparing a much smaller cross section of variety rather than say 2 cars that are both z4’s but completely different specs & milages then thinking the 5k difference makes the more mileage lower spec car look attractive - if you get what I mean

I think the advice you are getting about what hidden extras you might encounter is useful so you might see a car & maybe call a dealer or individual to book a test drive but link the ad here so you can have guys point stuff out to help you negotiate on the price when you get there

Pondrew
        Lifer
        Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:19 pm

Again, everyone has their own list of "must haves" which are different from others, which makes advice threads even more confusing :D

As an all weather car I can see heated seats being a priority (and a resale help) , but we never use ours. I would say as a practical "must have" PDC front and rear before anything else. E89s are a pig to see out of with a looong bonnet and stubby arse.

Once you have decided on your spec and physically view cars, remember to check that everything works correctly, especially roof and check the battery area and general boot area for signs of water ingress. These are complicated cars and some repairs can be very costly as well as bloody infuriating. The forum can help immensely with these though. :thumbsup:
        All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
        E89 20i Now fully dried
        Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
        Mazda3 sold
        Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Pondrew
        Lifer
        Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:30 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:28 pm No iDrive or parking sensors but as Mr Tourettes says, all important heated M seats, no wind deflector but I’ve a spare one kicking around that I will sell you

Not keen on the car but I like his/her house! :lol:
        All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
        E89 20i Now fully dried
        Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
        Mazda3 sold
        Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Argyll Andy
        Lifer
        Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:52 pm

Pondrew wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:30 pm
        Argyll Andy wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:28 pm No iDrive or parking sensors but as Mr Tourettes says, all important heated M seats, no wind deflector but I’ve a spare one kicking around that I will sell you

Not keen on the car but I like his/her house! :lol:
        The only way we’d get in there is if we were robbing it :lol:

It doesn’t matter if you like the bloody car or not, it’s not for you :poke: