Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Newbie looking at the E89

First port of call for new members
Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:04 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:52 pm It doesn’t matter if you like the bloody car or not, it’s not for you
I keep forgetting it not all about me. :lol:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:16 pm

Smash wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:09 am All good advice, will write down all the things I want in the car and then I can put it in here. I like the light hearted nature of the forum, seems a lot of good folk here and I’m always in for a bit of a fun. Black dirty car I can live with... just, but a white dirty car eww no.
Ash, everyone is giving advice and pointing our cars as they know you want one, so we all want you to find one you are happy with.

When I bought mine, I spent a month just doing research and knew that I had a criteria I would not deviate from even if I was 80% of the way there with a car, I just knew I would regret buying something not right from past experience, that's why I had a chat with Andy a week or so about a 35i I was looking at, for me wrong colour and less spec than my current car so why bother as I cant use the extra power in reality.

For me I wanted Msport spec with 3 main things, iDrive, heated seats and a wind deflector (I have had many vert so know these are a god send), anything beyond that was a bonus.

Based on the research I did I knew if an Msport Highline came up in budget and with what I thought was sensible mileage, I was going for it as long as it was not black or silver.

This is what you must do and just be patient or extend that budget a little which will give you more options.

If you think the black one is the right car, go for but negotiate hard based on others for sale in the market and tell the guy he is overpriced and may struggle to sell or just watch and when he drops the price (assuming it does not sell), pounce.

You can see cars with 130k miles at £7k so at 10k per annum you have four years to get to that level with the black one.

The most important thing, its your money and how you spend it is up to you and you have to live with what you buy.

PS - white cars actually hide the dirt quite well and years ago my misses said it was posers colour now she's loves the zed in white :rofl:
Last edited by Ole gits rule on Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:30 pm

Based on your higher mileage black one - https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... ance&page=

Bit of a marmite colour though but has heated sport seats and idrive and is 30i

Or there is this one -- https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... ce&page=26

Could be SE or Msport - no pics yet to tell
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Smash

Post by Smash » Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:26 am

Thank you all for these comments, I’ve just got back from a friends wedding, also acted as taxi service for the stragglers (Great fun finding houses in the country in the dark with drunken passengers not knowing where they live). Up again at 6am for the touring cars at Snetterton so I’ll have a good read tomorrow when I’ve got a bit of time, certainly some good points from what I’ve briefly read but need sleep..... Appreciate it guys I’ll message back tomorrow properly.

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:43 pm

Smash wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:26 am Thank you all for these comments, I’ve just got back from a friends wedding, also acted as taxi service for the stragglers (Great fun finding houses in the country in the dark with drunken passengers not knowing where they live). Up again at 6am for the touring cars at Snetterton so I’ll have a good read tomorrow when I’ve got a bit of time, certainly some good points from what I’ve briefly read but need sleep..... Appreciate it guys I’ll message back tomorrow properly.
This one seems sensible if you can live with Auto plus its a 30i so a decent price /mileage and spec - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124770469516 ... SwkS1gxfpE

23i manual with no iDrive, heated seats and PDC are there with 69k miles - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164911157088 ... SwYwNgxiJC

Smash

Post by Smash » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:50 pm

Ole gits rule wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:43 pm
Smash wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:26 am Thank you all for these comments, I’ve just got back from a friends wedding, also acted as taxi service for the stragglers (Great fun finding houses in the country in the dark with drunken passengers not knowing where they live). Up again at 6am for the touring cars at Snetterton so I’ll have a good read tomorrow when I’ve got a bit of time, certainly some good points from what I’ve briefly read but need sleep..... Appreciate it guys I’ll message back tomorrow properly.
This one seems sensible if you can live with Auto plus its a 30i so a decent price /mileage and spec - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124770469516 ... SwkS1gxfpE

23i manual with no iDrive, heated seats and PDC are there with 69k miles - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164911157088 ... SwYwNgxiJC
Both nice but sadly both too much. I've done my list on my phone and I'll put it on here in a bit. I am going to be resolute, mainly on price but will want a bargain and can wait. be back in bit.

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:57 pm

I thought your price limit was £10k - there is normally a little bit of negotiation and a compromise to be had, and for the sake of a few hundred quid you could be close to what you want :D

Smash

Post by Smash » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:18 pm

Ok a small list to start with of what I am looking for in my first E89

The absolute must list.
23i Manual
Not White
Under 10k price

Now the list of items that I would like to have in the car, being that more of these extras the car has the more likely I would go to the top of my budget.
Idrive
Parking sensors back and front
Wind deflector
Foldable wing mirrors
M Sport Styling
Under 70k miles
Sports Seats
Upgraded Stereo, (only knew bout this from the recent comments)
Not that faux wood trim if can be helped
(oh and not that adaptive suspension, heard it is very expensive if it goes wrong)

It's a big ask but I'm sure something will come close. Big fan of black cars / silver ok, is there 2 versions of silver? / red and navy ok too. Not so keen on brown but I have driven one with black rims and it wasn't too bad in that combo.

Would ultimately like some sort of warranty post purchase whether private warranty or a trade warranty (from dealer), so advice on this would be great.

The 2 black E89s from the other day mentioned would have been fine, the MSport with 93k and the Black SE with 58k but to me I would only offer 9k for each but that's my personal thoughts and again price is key.

For instance if you posted a black M Sport with most of the kit above and it had 80k miles and was 7.5k then I will be interested.

You now can see that I am very fussy but that's what I am and I can wait.

PointedMarlin

Post by PointedMarlin » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:25 pm

https://www.miramarcars.co.uk/used-cars ... 3310833680

If your interested tell Adam that Sam Hardman let you know about this one - I brought mine from him. Decent bloke

Smash

Post by Smash » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:32 pm

PointedMarlin wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:25 pm https://www.miramarcars.co.uk/used-cars ... 3310833680

If your interested tell Adam that Sam Hardman let you know about this one - I brought mine from him. Decent bloke
Thanks for the heads up, always nice to have recommendations.

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:37 pm

Ok a small list to start with of what I am looking for in my first E89

The absolute must list.
23i Manual
Not White
Under 10k price

Now the list of items that I would like to have in the car, being that more of these extras the car has the more likely I would go to the top of my budget.
Idrive
Wind deflector
Foldable wing mirrors
M Sport Styling
Under 70k miles
Sports Seats
(oh and not that adaptive suspension, heard it is very expensive if it goes wrong)

It's a big ask but I'm sure something will come close. Big fan of black cars / silver ok, is there 2 versions of silver? / red and navy ok too. Not so keen on brown but I have driven one with black rims and it wasn't too bad in that combo.

Would ultimately like some sort of warranty post purchase whether private warranty or a trade warranty (from dealer), so advice on this would be great.

The 2 black E89s from the other day mentioned would have been fine, the MSport with 93k and the Black SE with 58k but to me I would only offer 9k for each but that's my personal thoughts and again price is key.

For instance if you posted a black M Sport with most of the kit above and it had 80k miles and was 7.5k then I will be interested.

[/quote]

Hi Ash,

Nothing wrong with being fussy and having a list of wants, I was no different.

IMHO that's a tough ask for £9k before the current situation with car pricing rising and then the summer premium on verts also weighing in.

I have a feeling something will have to give and it will be mileage / spec based on achieving the target price and that may still be at the top of your budget, seems to me missing out on Gwest's e89 was an issue as it would have been 90% there based on your requirements.

There is two versions of silver - one is actually gold and don't let anyone tell you any different, adaptive suspension was only on the 35iS as standard and not many cars had it as an extra as it was not a cheap option.

Smash

Post by Smash » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:11 pm

Ole gits rule wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:37 pm Ok a small list to start with of what I am looking for in my first E89

The absolute must list.
23i Manual
Not White
Under 10k price

Idrive
Wind deflector
Foldable wing mirrors
M Sport Styling
Under 70k miles
Sports Seats

Hi Ash,

IMHO that's a tough ask for £9k before the current situation with car pricing rising and then the summer premium on verts also weighing in.

I have a feeling something will have to give and it will be mileage / spec based on achieving the target price and that may still be at the top of your budget, seems to me missing out on Gwest's e89 was an issue as it would have been 90% there based on your requirements.

There is two versions of silver - one is actually gold and don't let anyone tell you any different, adaptive suspension was only on the 35iS as standard and not many cars had it as an extra as it was not a cheap option.
[/quote]

All very true and sadly I do not live in in an area where I can just pop in and try to do a deal. If I arrive in say Manchester / Leeds the seller knows I am almost 90% there to complete due to the journey I've made and that's really annoying as I believe if local I hopefully would get a few quid off or just walk out.

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:27 pm

Hi Ash,

[/quote]

All very true and sadly I do not live in in an area where I can just pop in and try to do a deal. If I arrive in say Manchester / Leeds the seller knows I am almost 90% there to complete due to the journey I've made and that's really annoying as I believe if local I hopefully would get a few quid off or just walk out.
[/quote]

The thing is that you should negotiate a deal before you travel and it is based the car being as described - get the video walk arounds sorted etc. That is how Pondrew purchased his sight unseen and he seems pretty happy and I am sure a few other have done the same on here such as True Blue.

I think your biggest issue is the wish list and what is achievable within budget right now, there are cars out there that meet your criteria but they are at £11k to £12k so you may have to compromise on spec or mileage or increase the budget.

Smash

Post by Smash » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:41 pm

Ole gits rule wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:27 pm Hi Ash,

[/quote]

The thing is that you should negotiate a deal before you travel and it is based the car being as described - get the video walk arounds sorted etc. That is how Pondrew purchased his sight unseen and he seems pretty happy and I am sure a few other have done the same on here such as True Blue.

I think your biggest issue is the wish list and what is achievable within budget right now, there are cars out there that meet your criteria but they are at £11k to £12k so you may have to compromise on spec or mileage or increase the budget.
[/quote]

The wish list can be cut back especially if price is right. I have around 9 cars on a watch list (Over budget) which weirdly haven’t sold in the past 2 weeks (sales might be slowing... maybe) now if these prices drop I can pounce or If they need to make end of month figures I can make an offer, it may work.

Btw how much is one of them oem wind deflectors? I notice only 1 in 3 cars for sale come with one.

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:48 pm

[/quote]

The wish list can be cut back especially if price is right. I have around 9 cars on a watch list (Over budget) which weirdly haven’t sold in the past 2 weeks (sales might be slowing... maybe) now if these prices drop I can pounce or If they need to make end of month figures I can make an offer, it may work.

Btw how much is one of them oem wind deflectors? I notice only 1 in 3 cars for sale come with one.
[/quote]

Thats the thing, just keep watching and see what happens but they are not selling as they are over priced possibly - there is a DSB Msport Highline for £13 with 71k miles on, I paid £10k for a white one 8 months ago - so overpriced.

The issue will be cutting back on spec - will you be happy or is better to spend more and have want you want long term?

The thing is with the wind deflector, they come in three pieces, the section between the headrest and the pieces in the roll over hoops.

The centre piece is probably £200 (used) but you will need the brackets at £20 each I think (ebay) - the roll over hoop bits are £50 each I think.

Andy has a spare one hanging around he offered to sell you if needed. :thumbsup: