Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Newbie looking at the E89

First port of call for new members
Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:22 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:11 pm It’s not high miles for a Focus
I do hope that wasn't a dig :lol:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:23 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:11 pm
Smash wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:05 pm That’s the one, called today and had a 20 minute chat with the seller who was really knowledgeable about Z4’s, had so much time to go over things. Good point re the wind deflector didn’t spot that. The rims are a bit scruffy In places but the car he said is in very good condition, the previous owner was very meticulous about keeping up the history. Hmm either I get the train up and have a look at £100 a ticket or he said he would deliver to me for double that.
Ash for me I’d say it’s at top money given the mileage. It wouldn’t necessarily put me off if maintained well but the selling on could be challenging. It’s not high miles for a Focus or 3 series but a Z4 yes, it’s in the higher bracket.

As Pondrew said I’d be looking for videos and detailed paperwork before doing anything. I’d also be spending the £100 on a train ticket every time before getting it delivered. If you’re standing there at their premises with plenty of time to look round it, go for a coffee to think etc it’s easier to walk away than when there’s a delivery driver anxious to get it off their flatbed and onto the next job.

I also know you’ve said you’d prefer it wasn’t white but if I was in your position I’d be having a serious conversation about this and seeing if a middle ground could be found price wise.

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=129380

If you can cope without iDrive you could be spending another £500 for almost half the mileage and a year newer car. Factor in your train ticket and wheel refurb and you’d be parting with the same amount of money :thumbsup:
I think its defo top money, be better at £9k which is where the majority of dealer Z4 are at that mileage but again without checking everything is ok on those hard its hard to say what is right or wrong

Andy, that is seriously good advice I was not looking at white as Ash did not want one but I reckon 30% of the cars for sale are white and it offers a much wider choice, but as you said to me - its a compromise and would you be better off waiting for the right car as you may not be happy. I know its different as I have a zed and want a VO 35iS and Ash just wants a i6 version :thumbsup:

The other option is upping the budget slightly, you would be surprised the difference a grand or two could make on mileage / spec :)
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:24 pm

Pondrew wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:22 pm
Plenty of room for shovels in the back f that wagon :D
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:34 pm

Pondrew wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:22 pm
Of course not, yours isn’t high mileage :wink:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Smash

Post by Smash » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:36 pm

Massively appreciate all your comments, it helps and with decisions. Just probably not a good time to buy as the prices are summer inflated. I’ll hold off.... budget remains under 10k, colour not white oh and must be Manual 23i... idrive would like it but not a deal breaker if a bargain comes along without. I do really like the m sport styling though.

Ole gits rule
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:38 pm

Smash wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:36 pm Massively appreciate all your comments, it helps and with decisions. Just probably not a good time to buy as the prices are summer inflated. I’ll hold off.... budget remains under 10k, colour not white oh and must be Manual 23i... idrive would like it but not a deal breaker if a bargain comes along without. I do really like the m sport styling though.
    Thats is the issue right now - just be patient and something will pop up - I was like you but had to wait a little while to get what I wanted in budget but I quite like the white so was probably easier for me :thumbsup:

Just a comparison to Jo's car cost wise - https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... asc&page=4

Pondrew
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:50 pm

Smash wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:36 pm Massively appreciate all your comments, it helps and with decisions.
    It can get a little overwhelming though on here as we can be a little "too helpful" at times. Re: the idrive. I didn't want it and didn't get it, but wish I had. The BMW "professional" system (no screen and all done through the radio display) is pretty outdated and a PITA to operate. As my car is only a summer toy I didn't think it would matter, but it bloody does. Took me about 3 hours to get my wife's USB music stick to not just loop one album. It depends on what you want the car for I suppose but the Idrive is far superior.
    There are loads of 23is out there (they were the most common E89 bought in the UK by miles). Agree with the Msport, it makes the car IMO and 19" wheels add that extra touch. They are good cars and your budget will find a good one. Good luck :thumbsup:
    All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
    E89 20i Now fully dried
    Mazda3 sold

Smash

Post by Smash » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:57 pm

Pondrew wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:50 pm
    Smash wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:36 pm Massively appreciate all your comments, it helps and with decisions.
    It can get a little overwhelming though on here as we can be a little "too helpful" at times. Re: the idrive. I didn't want it and didn't get it, but wish I had. The BMW "professional" system (no screen and all done through the radio display) is pretty outdated and a PITA to operate. As my car is only a summer toy I didn't think it would matter, but it bloody does. Took me about 3 hours to get my wife's USB music stick to not just loop one album. It depends on what you want the car for I suppose but the Idrive is far superior.
    There are loads of 23is out there (they were the most common E89 bought in the UK by miles). Agree with the Msport, it makes the car IMO and 19" wheels add that extra touch. They are good cars and your budget will find a good one. Good luck :thumbsup:
    I get where you are coming from. It practically is the car in Manchester in that spec with better mileage that I’m after. Always buy what you really want first time, nothing worse than regrets.

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:02 pm

Smash wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:57 pm I get where you are coming from. It practically is the car in Manchester in that spec with better mileage that I’m after. Always buy what you really want first time, nothing worse than regrets.
    You will get what you want with patience.

Re no regrets I don’t seem to be able to keep them long enough to get any :rofl:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)

Ole gits rule
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:05 pm

You will get what you want with patience.

Re no regrets I don’t seem to be able to keep them long enough to get any :rofl:
      [/quote]

Im like that with wives :rofl: :rofl:

Pondrew
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:25 pm

Smash wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:57 pm I get where you are coming from. It practically is the car in Manchester in that spec with better mileage that I’m after. Always buy what you really want first time, nothing worse than regrets.
      Agreed. If you've waited so far then give it a couple of months and the "summer tax" will wear off for convertibles, so they will start to reduce in cost and your budget will suddenly go a lot further. I don't know your reasons for wanting a 6 pot, but the 18i and 20i 4 pots are within budget and can be easily made to give much more grunt for very little money as they are turbos. They may not be as "silky smooth" as a 6 but you can make the engine do a lot more. Just food for thought :thumbsup:

F31 320i. Good car.
      E89 20i Now fully dried
      Mazda3 sold

Smash

Post by Smash » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:36 pm

Pondrew wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:25 pm
      Agreed. If you've waited so far then give it a couple of months and the "summer tax" will wear off for convertibles, so they will start to reduce in cost and your budget will suddenly go a lot further. I don't know your reasons for wanting a 6 pot, but the 18i and 20i 4 pots are within budget and can be easily made to give much more grunt for very little money as they are turbos. They may not be as "silky smooth" as a 6 but you can make the engine do a lot more. Just food for thought :thumbsup:
      I’ve driven both the 6 pot and 4 pot turbo and the reason I mainly want the z4 is that 6 pot engine, they are both great but it’s the linear smooth drive that I like more and sound too. You are right though there is lots of well priced 20i variants about, suppose it’s like buses you’ll get loads of 23i’s flood the market next... I've just got to wait... but it’s very difficult.

Pondrew
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:48 pm

The anticipation can be half the fun though. Once you've bought one, that's gone. A bit like women, no matter how gorgeous they are someone somewhere is sick to the back teeth of them! :lol:

F31 320i. Good car.
      E89 20i Now fully dried
      Mazda3 sold

Ole gits rule
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:54 pm

I’ve driven both the 6 pot and 4 pot turbo and the reason I mainly want the z4 is that 6 pot engine, they are both great but it’s the linear smooth drive that I like more and sound too. You are right though there is lots of well priced 20i variants about, suppose it’s like buses you’ll get loads of 23i’s flood the market next... I've just got to wait... but it’s very difficult.
      [/quote]

Thats why I bought my 6cyl - not a speed freak just loved the smooth delivery and it sounds awesome when moving along :thumbsup:

Something will turn up for certain and they can be used in cold weather with the roof down, just need the butt warmers and wind deflector, turn up the heating and away you go :D

Argyll Andy
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:23 pm

Smash,

You seen this one Ash? Reasonably well spec’d, decent mileage and mot history looks ok. Only thing might be basic stereo and no iDrive

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... esc&page=1