Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Newbie looking at the E89

First port of call for new members
Smash

Post by Smash » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:28 pm

Ole gits rule wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:48 pm The thing is that you should negotiate a deal before you travel and it is based the car being as described - get the video walk arounds sorted etc. That is how Pondrew purchased his sight unseen and he seems pretty happy and I am sure a few other have done the same on here such as True Blue.

I think your biggest issue is the wish list and what is achievable within budget right now, there are cars out there that meet your criteria but they are at £11k to £12k so you may have to compromise on spec or mileage or increase the budget.
The wish list can be cut back especially if price is right. I have around 9 cars on a watch list (Over budget) which weirdly haven’t sold in the past 2 weeks (sales might be slowing... maybe) now if these prices drop I can pounce or If they need to make end of month figures I can make an offer, it may work.

Btw how much is one of them oem wind deflectors? I notice only 1 in 3 cars for sale come with one.
[/quote]

Thats the thing, just keep watching and see what happens but they are not selling as they are over priced possibly - there is a DSB Msport Highline for £13 with 71k miles on, I paid £10k for a white one 8 months ago - so overpriced.

The issue will be cutting back on spec - will you be happy or is better to spend more and have want you want long term?

The thing is with the wind deflector, they come in three pieces, the section between the headrest and the pieces in the roll over hoops.

The centre piece is probably £200 (used) but you will need the brackets at £20 each I think (ebay) - the roll over hoop bits are £50 each I think.

Andy has a spare one hanging around he offered to sell you if needed. :thumbsup:
[/quote]

I’ll cut back on that wish list for sure to get a cheaper car. I mean some garages have cars only £500 over what I feel they are worth, so it won’t be long before one turns up.

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:32 pm

I’ll cut back on that wish list for sure to get a cheaper car. I mean some garages have cars only £500 over what I feel they are worth, so it won’t be long before one turns up.
[/quote]

Then I would be making offers on them at what you think they are worth, they can only say ys, just leave the offer on the table.

I would do that with three or four and tell them all what you have done - see what happens
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:26 pm

Smash wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:18 pm Ok a small list to start with of what I am looking for in my first E89

The absolute must list.
23i Manual
Not White
Under 10k price

Now the list of items that I would like to have in the car, being that more of these extras the car has the more likely I would go to the top of my budget.
Idrive
Parking sensors back and front
Wind deflector
Foldable wing mirrors
M Sport Styling
Under 70k miles
Sports Seats
Upgraded Stereo, (only knew bout this from the recent comments)
Not that faux wood trim if can be helped
(oh and not that adaptive suspension, heard it is very expensive if it goes wrong)

It's a big ask but I'm sure something will come close. Big fan of black cars / silver ok, is there 2 versions of silver? / red and navy ok too. Not so keen on brown but I have driven one with black rims and it wasn't too bad in that combo.

Would ultimately like some sort of warranty post purchase whether private warranty or a trade warranty (from dealer), so advice on this would be great.

The 2 black E89s from the other day mentioned would have been fine, the MSport with 93k and the Black SE with 58k but to me I would only offer 9k for each but that's my personal thoughts and again price is key.

For instance if you posted a black M Sport with most of the kit above and it had 80k miles and was 7.5k then I will be interested.

You now can see that I am very fussy but that's what I am and I can wait.
Ash, that’s good you’ve come up with this :thumbsup:

I’ve said it before, be as fussy as you want, it’s your hard earned so you want to get it right, all it may do is narrow the pool you’re fishing in :thumbsup:

A couple of observations from this, and subsequent posts made.

IMO to meet all/most of your criteria in a 23i may well prove to be difficult. It’s not that your wants are ridiculous it’s just that the 23i’s were entry level when they came out, that subsequently meant a lot of them were poorly spec’d and the ones that weren’t either won’t meet your criteria or will be outwith your budget.

My 23i came with cloth seats! The previous owner got a cracking deal on a set of MSport seats and retro fitted them. Cloth seats but parking sensors, who ticks that on the options list :headbang:

MSport spec will give you the styling and the seats but as you’re finding it comes at a premium too.

IDrive also isn’t commonly found on 23i’s either and even if it is it doesn’t mean it’s got the better stereo system, it could still have iDrive and the base stereo.

Folding mirrors, can’t recall too many 23i’s with this, I just used to fold mine in manually. The faux wood can be swapped out or wrapped just factor the cost in. There’s a full set of silver trim on eBay for £195

Adaptive suspension isn’t something that I think I’ve ever seen on a 23i for sale.

The mileage could also be an issue, an under 70k MSport with a higher spec would be some find under £10k IMHO

The wind deflector again was an option often not ticked but as Sean says you’ll pick one up 2nd hand and I do have complete one that I offered you. Allow approx £200 for everything you need. The current roll hoops will have the hoops marked on the inside to allow you to drill the existing ones rather than buy new.

Re the ones your keeping an eye one and aren’t selling I don’t see them dropping any time soon, summer’s really still to start so the dealers won’t be desperate to sell yet. But, as Sean says I’d be making offers at what you want to pay, all the can say is yes or no.

Re distance buying I can’t remember the last time I hadn’t tied up the financial side of a deal before making arrangements to travel. These were all on the basis that the car was described accurately and there were no surprises. I’m actually in the process of buy a car 400 miles from home just now and have everything organised including transportation for the car once the seller provides some more information and proof of a few things. If these things aren’t provided or satisfactory I’ll just walk away, I’ve told the seller this. So don’t feel you’re committed if you travel. Just make it quite clear to the seller you expect full disclosure before deciding what to do.

Nictrix had a cracking black 60k 23i that was in excellent condition, completely pampered and you’d have struggled to find a cleaner one, but…….. it didn’t have iDrive, or an updated stereo iirc but he had to drop the price to £9k to shift it and that was before the prices started rising.

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Smash

Post by Smash » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:20 am

Thanks Andy for your message, as in my wish list if I had half that list I would be happy, the only stipulation is 23i, Manual and not white. As stated the 2 x black versions m sport and SE for sale at 10k are both fine but it’s just my head telling me I might find better... maybe I’m wrong

Zed Baron

Post by Zed Baron » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:39 am

Ash, I wanted low mileage, bmw fsh, auto, idrive, pdc and heated seats, white/black leather interior (easy to maintain) and naturally aspirated. The only car I could find that was near enough to what I wanted was a SE. The M sport seats eventually turned up as well as a M sport steering wheel with the newer paddle shift, with selling my existing parts its been relatively inexpensive and easy to upgrade and I'm pleased with the results. If I keep the car I'll do a bit more (Ive had it 7 years this year), even after all that time it feels fun.
    20200813_205330.jpg
    20200813_205330.jpg (104.36 KiB) Viewed 332 times
    Last edited by Zed Baron on Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:40 am

Smash wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:20 am Thanks Andy for your message, as in my wish list if I had half that list I would be happy, the only stipulation is 23i, Manual and not white. As stated the 2 x black versions m sport and SE for sale at 10k are both fine but it’s just my head telling me I might find better... maybe I’m wrong
    Ash, could you link both those cars again so I know what ones you’re meaning :thumbsup:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
      G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
      E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
      E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Nictrix
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:26 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:26 pm
      Smash wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:18 pm Ok a small list to start with of what I am looking for in my first E89

The absolute must list.
      23i Manual
      Not White
      Under 10k price

Now the list of items that I would like to have in the car, being that more of these extras the car has the more likely I would go to the top of my budget.
      Idrive
      Wind deflector
      Foldable wing mirrors
      M Sport Styling
      Under 70k miles
      Sports Seats
      (oh and not that adaptive suspension, heard it is very expensive if it goes wrong)

It's a big ask but I'm sure something will come close. Big fan of black cars / silver ok, is there 2 versions of silver? / red and navy ok too. Not so keen on brown but I have driven one with black rims and it wasn't too bad in that combo.

Would ultimately like some sort of warranty post purchase whether private warranty or a trade warranty (from dealer), so advice on this would be great.

The 2 black E89s from the other day mentioned would have been fine, the MSport with 93k and the Black SE with 58k but to me I would only offer 9k for each but that's my personal thoughts and again price is key.

For instance if you posted a black M Sport with most of the kit above and it had 80k miles and was 7.5k then I will be interested.

I’ve said it before, be as fussy as you want, it’s your hard earned so you want to get it right, all it may do is narrow the pool you’re fishing in :thumbsup:

IMO to meet all/most of your criteria in a 23i may well prove to be difficult. It’s not that your wants are ridiculous it’s just that the 23i’s were entry level when they came out, that subsequently meant a lot of them were poorly spec’d and the ones that weren’t either won’t meet your criteria or will be outwith your budget.

My 23i came with cloth seats! The previous owner got a cracking deal on a set of MSport seats and retro fitted them. Cloth seats but parking sensors, who ticks that on the options list :headbang:

MSport spec will give you the styling and the seats but as you’re finding it comes at a premium too.

IDrive also isn’t commonly found on 23i’s either and even if it is it doesn’t mean it’s got the better stereo system, it could still have iDrive and the base stereo.

Folding mirrors, can’t recall too many 23i’s with this, I just used to fold mine in manually. The faux wood can be swapped out or wrapped just factor the cost in. There’s a full set of silver trim on eBay for £195

Adaptive suspension isn’t something that I think I’ve ever seen on a 23i for sale.

The mileage could also be an issue, an under 70k MSport with a higher spec would be some find under £10k IMHO

The wind deflector again was an option often not ticked but as Sean says you’ll pick one up 2nd hand and I do have complete one that I offered you. Allow approx £200 for everything you need. The current roll hoops will have the hoops marked on the inside to allow you to drill the existing ones rather than buy new.

Re the ones your keeping an eye one and aren’t selling I don’t see them dropping any time soon, summer’s really still to start so the dealers won’t be desperate to sell yet. But, as Sean says I’d be making offers at what you want to pay, all the can say is yes or no.

Re distance buying I can’t remember the last time I hadn’t tied up the financial side of a deal before making arrangements to travel. These were all on the basis that the car was described accurately and there were no surprises. I’m actually in the process of buy a car 400 miles from home just now and have everything organised including transportation for the car once the seller provides some more information and proof of a few things. If these things aren’t provided or satisfactory I’ll just walk away, I’ve told the seller this. So don’t feel you’re committed if you travel. Just make it quite clear to the seller you expect full disclosure before deciding what to do.

Nictrix had a cracking black 60k 23i that was in excellent condition, completely pampered and you’d have struggled to find a cleaner one, but…….. it didn’t have iDrive, or an updated stereo iirc but he had to drop the price to £9k to shift it and that was before the prices started rising.
      The cars are out there, its just finding a good one. Everything on your list was on our old car other than the idrive. As Andy has said our old one almost fitted the bill for you and hes almost bang on with the spec of it, it didnt have the top stereo but didnt have the basic one either, it was the 11 speaker setup.
      So in my opinion everything on your list is extremely doable with the only problem possibly the idrive. I doubt if anybody would have specced adaptive suspension on a 23i as already said so that shouldnt be a problem either.
      Lots of 23i's were sold without the idrive. If you havnt had it you wont miss it. We have it in our 35i now and have only used it to store music, most smart phones will have a better satnav on them and there is plenty of add on hardware that enables you to play music directly from your phone as well. you could always go down the route of adding one of the aftermarket screens that a few members have installed.
      E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Smash

Post by Smash » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:28 pm

Zed Baron wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:39 am Ash, I wanted low mileage, bmw fsh, auto, idrive, pdc and heated seats, white/black leather interior (easy to maintain) and naturally aspirated. The only car I could find that was near enough to what I wanted was a SE. The M sport seats eventually turned up as well as a M sport steering wheel with the newer paddle shift, with selling my existing parts its been relatively inexpensive and easy to upgrade and I'm pleased with the results. If I keep the car I'll do a bit more (Ive had it 7 years this year), even after all that time it feels fun.20200813_205330.jpg
      That’s a lovely looking interior and kudos for keeping it 7 years that shows it must be good.

Nictrix
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:30 pm

Smash wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:28 pm
      Zed Baron wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:39 am Ash, I wanted low mileage, bmw fsh, auto, idrive, pdc and heated seats, white/black leather interior (easy to maintain) and naturally aspirated. The only car I could find that was near enough to what I wanted was a SE. The M sport seats eventually turned up as well as a M sport steering wheel with the newer paddle shift, with selling my existing parts its been relatively inexpensive and easy to upgrade and I'm pleased with the results. If I keep the car I'll do a bit more (Ive had it 7 years this year), even after all that time it feels fun.20200813_205330.jpg
      That’s a lovely looking interior and kudos for keeping it 7 years that shows it must be good.
      We also had our 23i for 7 years so dont think you will get bored of it because its not the fastest

Smash

Post by Smash » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:33 pm

[/quote]

Ash, could you link both those cars again so I know what ones you’re meaning :thumbsup:
      [/quote]

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... amp;page=1

And

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313560933895 ... SwCdRgwca4
      Last edited by Smash on Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smash

Post by Smash » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:36 pm

Nictrix wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:26 pm
      Argyll Andy wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:26 pm

The absolute must list.
      23i Manual
      Not White
      Under 10k price

Idrive
      Wind deflector
      Foldable wing mirrors
      M Sport Styling
      Under 70k miles
      Sports Seats

The cars are out there, its just finding a good one. Everything on your list was on our old car other than the idrive. As Andy has said our old one almost fitted the bill for you and hes almost bang on with the spec of it, it didnt have the top stereo but didnt have the basic one either, it was the 11 speaker setup.
      So in my opinion everything on your list is extremely doable with the only problem possibly the idrive. I doubt if anybody would have specced adaptive suspension on a 23i as already said so that shouldnt be a problem either.
      Lots of 23i's were sold without the idrive. If you havnt had it you wont miss it. We have it in our 35i now and have only used it to store music, most smart phones will have a better satnav on them and there is plenty of add on hardware that enables you to play music directly from your phone as well. you could always go down the route of adding one of the aftermarket screens that a few members have installed.
      If it’s a bargain then to hell with the idrive. I mean I have seen M Sports without idrive and they would be ok at the right price of course.

Nictrix
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:49 pm

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... esc&page=1
      Im sure this one has been discussed before but cant remember the issues.
      It has everything you are looking for, the downsides for me which would all be fixable are the black wheels dont suit it, the red bars behind the grills, the steering wheel needs a scrub, the aftermarket discs look cheap and the bonnet looks like it may need adjusted properly.
      Dont see why you couldnt get it cheaper than the advertised price.
      Cant believe the price increases since last year on these.

Smash

Post by Smash » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:02 pm

Nictrix wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:49 pm https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... esc&page=1
      Im sure this one has been discussed before but cant remember the issues.
      It has everything you are looking for, the downsides for me which would all be fixable are the black wheels dont suit it, the red bars behind the grills, the steering wheel needs a scrub, the aftermarket discs look cheap and the bonnet looks like it may need adjusted properly.
      Dont see why you couldnt get it cheaper than the advertised price.
      Cant believe the price increases since last year on these.
      Yes this was 10k a few months back then 10.5k now 10.8k. Car spec perfect but I’ve got a red flag on this one. Thanks for looking though.

Ole gits rule
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:26 pm

Here is one due in so no idea on what it looks like but under budget has iDrive - https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... ce&page=26
      M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
      2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Smash

Post by Smash » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:47 pm

Ole gits rule wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:26 pm Here is one due in so no idea on what it looks like but under budget has iDrive - https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... ce&page=26
      Thanks, I’ll keep an eye out for the photos.