Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Unwanted Attention

First port of call for new members
bleatoid

Unwanted Attention

Post by bleatoid » Mon May 10, 2021 7:05 pm

Hi All

Done a forum search for this topic and not turned up much - interested in any views / experiences.

We're pretty likely to get a new / nearly new Z4 for the missus in the very near future - been for a recce, got a test drive booked later this week. She's been scooting about in MX5's for the last 15 years and loves them - time to step up before we're too old to get into something sporty.

Anyway - my lingering concern is the unwanted attention a beautiful Z4 might attract - never had a problem with lady in MX5 syndrome - but is the Z4 a step into dodgy envy unwanted attention territory from idiots - both on the road, and when parked out and about? They seem to be pretty rare around here at least.

Anyone had a problem in this dept?

Any views welcome - and I'll post up pics when we become bona-fide members as it were.

Thank in anticipation.

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Unwanted Attention

Post by Ole gits rule » Mon May 10, 2021 7:28 pm

Regards boy racers, just ignore then - your cars only goes as fast as you want when you want.

There are loads of nice cars about which people are jealous of and the MX5 could be classed as one of those - I have never had an issue but I am an old fart in an e89. :rofl:

if you are going to worry about driving or parking the car it could spoil the enjoyment of owning a great car - my view, go for it and enjoy the ride and enjoy answering the questions you will get as your driving a rare car :D
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

M1k3yC

Unwanted Attention

Post by M1k3yC » Mon May 10, 2021 7:48 pm

I've had very occasional mild verbal abuse and a few people try and race me. I've also had quite a few compliments on the car and they easily outweigh the negative sentiment. You'll be fine - it's not as if it's a Ferrari.
2022 Hyundai Kona N - greyhound transport
2018 F56 Mini JCW
2016 MX-5 2.0 Sport Recaro
Gone to a good home: 2007 E86 3.0Si Sport

Wyldie85

Unwanted Attention

Post by Wyldie85 » Mon May 10, 2021 7:50 pm

None whatsoever. People are usually curious because they don't know what the car is but Ive only ever had compliments and interest from people so far.
2006 Silver grey 2.5si Convertible - Sold
2006 ///M Convertible - Sold
2019 Mercedes C300 AMG Line Premium Plus Estate
2019 San Francisco red M40i inc Tech & Comfort packs

ori

Unwanted Attention

Post by ori » Mon May 10, 2021 8:22 pm

I generally get people commenting on what a nice car it is.
Other day with roof down had a bus driver stop and talk to me about how much he loves it and asked what engine it has etc….

Dodgy areas I put the roof up, but I would do that with an mx5 too.

I would be more worried about wearing a nice watch.

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Unwanted Attention

Post by firebobby » Mon May 10, 2021 8:50 pm

I have had a couple of times where people have shouted some abuse, I returned the compliment :D
I have also had people comment on the car and asking what it is, just buy it and enjoy :thumbsup:
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Unwanted Attention

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon May 10, 2021 9:05 pm

Well first off wlecome to the forum. :thumbsup:

I don't know about new/nearly new Z4s but I've had 3 over the last 7 years and never had any negative attention - although even my first was over 7 years old when I bought it.

From time to time people want a bit of fun at traffic lights and now and again I've been in the mood to join in, but it usually ends with a thumbs-up - never any aggro.

And a few people have wanted to know a bit more about what my car is.

So if you want one just get one. I doubt a Z4 will attract any more unwanted attnetion than any other new/nearly-new car.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Obs-Com

Unwanted Attention

Post by Obs-Com » Tue May 11, 2021 9:33 am

Never had any significant issues. In fact all the attention in the G29 has been very positive and complimentary, more than any car I’ve had previously. Possibly because (in my case) the M40i First Edition looks particularly unusual (and stunning) in the matte orange.

My previous M2 in Long Beach Blue was an entirely different experience and was a big part in it going. A lot of unwanted attention and my wife (who had to drive it occasionally) got to the point where she was worried about racers driving close behind her.
2011-14: E89 2.3sDrive
2014-16: E89 35is - Valencia Orange X2 (gone but not forgotten)
2016-17: F33 440i
2017-17: E85 2.5si
2017-19: F87 M2 - Long Beach Blue DCT (Stunning)
2019-23: G29 M40i First Edition (more stunning than the M2)
2023-??: G23 M440i

jamesditchy

Unwanted Attention

Post by jamesditchy » Tue May 11, 2021 9:51 am

I've owned 2 over 6 years and not received any negative incidents and I live in a city. I also like a drink and leave my car overnight in various places and never had any issues :thumbsup:

DMike

Unwanted Attention

Post by DMike » Tue May 11, 2021 2:47 pm

I’ve had a e85 for 15 years now and never received any negative comments that I’d remember. Occasional curious contacts and compliments at gas stations or car parks, kids pointing and commenting to their parents (convertibles aren’t that common here) etc. The zed blends quite well, it’s a small sporty one but not a flamboyant supercar.
2005 Z4 3.0i Sterling grey

tiglon

Unwanted Attention

Post by tiglon » Tue May 11, 2021 6:45 pm

In a Space Grey Z4? Nothing negative ever. In a Valencia Orange Z4? The odd person trying to race me, but no major problems.

It helps that I live in between a McLaren 720s (I think) and a Bentley Continental Supersports, so if anyone's going to be singled out as a show off car w*nker, it won't be me!

If you like the car, get it... screw what anyone else thinks or does.
2014 E89 35is Valencia Orange 788M wheels (M2 Competition), E90 M3 control arms, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, MHD Stage 1

bleatoid

Unwanted Attention

Post by bleatoid » Tue May 11, 2021 7:32 pm

Thanks for all the helpful replies folks - all very reassuring - much appreciated.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Unwanted Attention

Post by buzyg » Tue May 11, 2021 7:49 pm

bleatoid wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:05 pm Hi All

Done a forum search for this topic and not turned up much - interested in any views / experiences.

We're pretty likely to get a new / nearly new Z4 for the missus in the very near future - been for a recce, got a test drive booked later this week. She's been scooting about in MX5's for the last 15 years and loves them - time to step up before we're too old to get into something sporty.

Anyway - my lingering concern is the unwanted attention a beautiful Z4 might attract - never had a problem with lady in MX5 syndrome - but is the Z4 a step into dodgy envy unwanted attention territory from idiots - both on the road, and when parked out and about? They seem to be pretty rare around here at least.

Anyone had a problem in this dept?

Any views welcome - and I'll post up pics when we become bona-fide members as it were.

Thank in anticipation.
First off, Welcome to the forum.

We have had a few Mx5's in the household. Currently my wife has a mk3.75 and she loves it. Truth be told it gets far more unwanted attention than my Z4 ever has. It's been deliberately dented and scratched thrice. Currently 3 small identical dents in the bonnet that could only have got there by some one whacking it with something. First world problem at least it Keeps the local body shop in work. The problem is where she has to park it for work. middle of pleb land, if I'm allowed to generalize for a moment on the local population. Old story of your not allowed to have something nice I haven't got I guess. The current dents are hardly noticeable unless your cleaning the car, so we may leave them there this time and hope the culprits are happy they have one over on us.

As for the Z4 only dent's it's had in 10 years of my ownership is one supermarket dent, never know who did that and it's dumb ass owner leaving the hand brake off and modifying a neighbours wall. The Zed won that one. :D

Carol M
Lifer
Lifer

Unwanted Attention

Post by Carol M » Tue May 11, 2021 8:41 pm

I used to get it a bit in my zed but just ignored it. (Had it worse in my M3 and Boxster though)
Mostly I got told what a nice car it was.

Marche

Unwanted Attention

Post by Marche » Wed May 12, 2021 1:59 pm

Hello!
I got mine 2 months ago so i don't have much experience, but so far I noticed that the BMW f32 (420d, mineral gray, m sport, m performance parts, red leather) that I owned up until recently got way much attention. :D
I think people don't notice it much because it's an "old BMW", and not many people know what it really is and how rare it is.
But i got a couple of curious and "wtf is that?" looks and head turns.
And boy racers... They like to tailgate. Ignore them and let them go away as soon as possible. They are usually overconfident and a danger to others as well to themselves...

When in town, I usually park it on a visible and lit place. Just reduce the chance of vandalism.

Good luck!