Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Partial Newbie

First port of call for new members
tiglon

Partial Newbie

Post by tiglon » Sat May 08, 2021 2:18 pm

Hi All,

I joined a couple of years ago to seek help when I bought what was probably the least well cared for example of a 2 litre E86 in existence. Sadly, it didn't last long. Previously I had a 2011 30i manual in space grey with poverty spec that I absolutely loved, but had to sell due to (as they say on Autotrader adverts) a change in circumstances.

I'm very lucky to have now had the opportunity to become a Z owner again with this 35iS bought from Argyll_Andy (sorry, not sure how to actually tag another forum member). It took a 2 hour train journey, 2 hour flight and 3 hour bus journey to pick the car up then a 500 mile drive home (through sunshine, rain and snow) over a couple of days - completely worth it! The car has clearly been loved and looked after and Andy is possibly the nicest bloke you'll ever meet. Thank you Andy, it was a much better experience than buying from Sytner!

Some think I'm crazy to travel so far for a car, but I could have waited years to find another example in the same condition with the same spec all wrapped up in glorious Valencia Orange. I did have some modifications in mind, firming up the suspension (anti roll bars, stiffer control arms or even coilovers) and playing with the aesthetics (black or dark grey powder coated wheels, possibly black wing mirrors and roll hoops) but I'm loving it as it is so for now I'm going to wait and see how I feel in 6-12 months time.

The only downside is the behaviour of other people on the roads when you're driving an orange sports car. On the drive home I had someone in a beaten up early 2000's Bentley who decided he needed to smash his foot to the floor to tailgate me for 10 seconds after I went past him on the motorway at about 70mph, and a kid in a modified diesel 1 series coupe who seemed to want to race me, plus a few more. Generally I just pull over and be the grown up, but every now and then (with a clear road ahead) it's difficult to resist disappearing into the distance when someone is stuck to your rear end. I'm tempted to debadge to make it ever so slightly more discreet, but it's still orange so that might be a waste of time...

You've seen plenty of photos of this sensational car before, so here's just one of her in her new home.

Will
Attachments
Welcome Home
Welcome Home
20210508_110939.jpg (280.94 KiB) Viewed 808 times
2014 E89 35is Valencia Orange 788M wheels (M2 Competition), E90 M3 control arms, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, MHD Stage 1

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Partial Newbie

Post by mr.tourette » Sat May 08, 2021 2:30 pm

hopefully the tight fisted scot left you more than fumes for the drive home :rofl: very nice motor.. happy days :thumbsup:
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

tiglon

Partial Newbie

Post by tiglon » Sat May 08, 2021 2:42 pm

mr.tourette wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:30 pm hopefully the tight fisted scot left you more than fumes for the drive home :rofl: very nice motor.. happy days :thumbsup:
:rofl: it was cleaned and filled up the day before, he couldn't have been further from the stereotype! Even threw in the Auto Glym cleaning products.
2014 E89 35is Valencia Orange 788M wheels (M2 Competition), E90 M3 control arms, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, MHD Stage 1

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Partial Newbie

Post by buzyg » Sat May 08, 2021 2:49 pm

You have yourself a good Z4 their. Enjoy. :driving:

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Partial Newbie

Post by Ole gits rule » Sat May 08, 2021 3:12 pm

Very nice car - love the colour and spec :thumbsup:
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Zed Baron

Partial Newbie

Post by Zed Baron » Sat May 08, 2021 3:38 pm

mr.tourette wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:30 pm hopefully the tight fisted scot left you more than fumes for the drive home :rofl: very nice motor.. happy days :thumbsup:
:rofl:

Zed Baron

Partial Newbie

Post by Zed Baron » Sat May 08, 2021 3:39 pm

tiglon wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:18 pm Hi All,

I joined a couple of years ago to seek help when I bought what was probably the least well cared for example of a 2 litre E86 in existence. Sadly, it didn't last long. Previously I had a 2011 30i manual in space grey with poverty spec that I absolutely loved, but had to sell due to (as they say on Autotrader adverts) a change in circumstances.

I'm very lucky to have now had the opportunity to become a Z owner again with this 35iS bought from Argyll_Andy (sorry, not sure how to actually tag another forum member). It took a 2 hour train journey, 2 hour flight and 3 hour bus journey to pick the car up then a 500 mile drive home (through sunshine, rain and snow) over a couple of days - completely worth it! The car has clearly been loved and looked after and Andy is possibly the nicest bloke you'll ever meet. Thank you Andy, it was a much better experience than buying from Sytner!

Some think I'm crazy to travel so far for a car, but I could have waited years to find another example in the same condition with the same spec all wrapped up in glorious Valencia Orange. I did have some modifications in mind, firming up the suspension (anti roll bars, stiffer control arms or even coilovers) and playing with the aesthetics (black or dark grey powder coated wheels, possibly black wing mirrors and roll hoops) but I'm loving it as it is so for now I'm going to wait and see how I feel in 6-12 months time.

The only downside is the behaviour of other people on the roads when you're driving an orange sports car. On the drive home I had someone in a beaten up early 2000's Bentley who decided he needed to smash his foot to the floor to tailgate me for 10 seconds after I went past him on the motorway at about 70mph, and a kid in a modified diesel 1 series coupe who seemed to want to race me, plus a few more. Generally I just pull over and be the grown up, but every now and then (with a clear road ahead) it's difficult to resist disappearing into the distance when someone is stuck to your rear end. I'm tempted to debadge to make it ever so slightly more discreet, but it's still orange so that might be a waste of time...

You've seen plenty of photos of this sensational car before, so here's just one of her in her new home.

Will
Congratulations on your new car (in a great colour) and I bet it was a great journey home :thumbsup:

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Partial Newbie

Post by Argyll Andy » Sat May 08, 2021 4:18 pm

It was lovely to meet you and Charlie too Will. The sale was easy as you can get, very straightforward and you were a pleasure to deal with and I’m glad you felt the same way :thumbsup:

I’m delighted you thought the journey was worthwhile and are happy with the car. I hope you enjoy many happy miles in it :driving:

People are just drawn to the beauty of the VO and that’s why they want to get so close to you :wink: as you’ve mentioned, unfortunately for them if you decide to make them a disappearing dot in the rear view mirror there’s plenty of scope for you to do so. I was tempted to debadge when I got it but as was pointed out to me, it’s one of the very few VO 35iS’s so maybe not to dilute that by taking the badges off of it. I thought about that and agreed with that sentiment. Your car now, your choice whatever you decide to do :thumbsup:

I hope the weather clears up for you to get the roof down and get out and enjoy that glorious sounding engine

All the best

Andy

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

Partial Newbie

Post by Argyll Andy » Sat May 08, 2021 4:19 pm

mr.tourette wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:30 pm hopefully the tight fisted scot left you more than fumes for the drive home
    Emmm you can :censored: :censored: off :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
      G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
      E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
      E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Nictrix
      Lifer
      Lifer

Partial Newbie

Post by Nictrix » Sat May 08, 2021 4:43 pm

Congrats both :thumbsup:
      E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Zforbes

Partial Newbie

Post by Zforbes » Sat May 08, 2021 7:26 pm

Congratulations on the new car, I'm sure you'll love it and negotiating a private deal I'm sure suits both of you but they may be some others jealous of the exclusivity. Well done 👍

Now then Andy, you encouraged me and others into 35is ownership so got to say I'm surprised you've parted company with your P&J, I'm assuming that you have got your eye on something else.

So Andy what is going take the place instead?
      E89 sDrive 35is Titan Silver Kansas Black Leather

Mr Tidy
      Legend
      Legend

Partial Newbie

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun May 09, 2021 8:35 pm

Freat news - two happy forum members so a forum car stays on the forum!

And VO looks stunning. :thumbsup: Even if it may make others jealous. :lol:
      Coupes because stunning!
      Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
      Gone - Montego Blue
      Gone - Ruby Black

KeithRT

Partial Newbie

Post by KeithRT » Mon May 10, 2021 7:53 am

Welcome back to the community!

ronk
      Lifer
      Lifer

Partial Newbie

Post by ronk » Tue May 11, 2021 3:18 pm

Well that came from the blind side!
      Sound like a good straight forward sale for all concerned :thumbsup:

Tiglon.
      In my opinion you did the right thing travelling for the car you wanted. I travelled to Hungerford from Durham for my first Z4 because it was the right one - it belongs to a friend now.
      You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
      So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

tiglon

Partial Newbie

Post by tiglon » Tue May 11, 2021 6:50 pm

Always worth travelling for the right thing. I've travelled hundreds of miles for a sub-£1k MR2 Roadster before, so this was pretty sensible in comparison. Good excuse to visit Scotland for the first time ever as well!