Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New member/owner with some upgrade plans (Any advice is appreciated)

First port of call for new members
Tomko

Post by Tomko » Fri May 07, 2021 11:41 am

Hi everyone,

Recently came into ownership of a 2007 E86 3.0si (130k miles on the clock) after countless days of looking at them. As lovely as the car is in its current state, it could do with some sprucing up in a few areas with some necessary maintenance updates and cosmetic changes to make look new and more to my taste.

I decided to make a spreadsheet of all the bits I want/need doing to it over time with a priority attached to each item. Would love to throw it into here incase anyone has any suggestions/advice etc. — new to the Z4 world so anything and everything is appreciated.

Some things to note:
- suspension is corroded and need to be replaced sooner rather than later
- there is a small oil leak coming from the engine (runs fine and fluids look fine so I'm hoping it's nothing major)
- drivers side window doesn't go down that half inch when I open the door, making it not seal totally flush
- still on original clutch. There's no slip and feels fine but will need changing soon
- seals around most of the car look like they could do with replacing + there are gaps in windshield ones (which drives me nuts)
Attachments
Z4 e86
Z4 e86
Z4_e86_small.png (1.63 MiB) Viewed 605 times
Spreadsheet
Spreadsheet
Screenshot 2021-05-07 at 11.13.58.png (110.03 KiB) Viewed 605 times

gadgetJunky72

Post by gadgetJunky72 » Fri May 07, 2021 11:51 am

Welcome to the forum. that's very organised. i too had a list but everything ended up being priority 1 :D

rjhl64

Post by rjhl64 » Fri May 07, 2021 11:58 am

Welcome, I purchased something similar back in April last year with 150k on mine, one of the many things i did was run the car thru BMW INPA software to look at historic and current fault codes. Alternate to add to your list a good diagnostic reader if you dont wish to go down the route of loading the BMW INPA software on a laptop (which can be a pain in the ar5e), i also loaded the TIS manual onto the laptop (kind of helps).

:thumbsup:
BMW Z4 SI SPORT Automatic / E86 coupe

Tomko

Post by Tomko » Fri May 07, 2021 12:28 pm

rjhl64 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:58 am Welcome, I purchased something similar back in April last year with 150k on mine, one of the many things i did was run the car thru BMW INPA software to look at historic and current fault codes. Alternate to add to your list a good diagnostic reader if you dont wish to go down the route of loading the BMW INPA software on a laptop (which can be a pain in the ar5e), i also loaded the TIS manual onto the laptop (kind of helps).
Thanks! And yeah that's not a bad idea. I was actually looking at a Carly OBD reader for checking fault codes as they seem decent from looking about online. Might check out the whole laptop thing but will likely steer away from it if it's too much of a pain.

Tomko

Post by Tomko » Fri May 07, 2021 12:29 pm

gadgetJunky72 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:51 am Welcome to the forum. that's very organised. i too had a list but everything ended up being priority 1
Haha, I feel you. This list must have changed at least 20 times as I want it all and I want it now but budget won't allow it :'(

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Fri May 07, 2021 12:32 pm

40 quid for a stubby :o are you buying it from Dick Turpin :lol:
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Fri May 07, 2021 12:34 pm

For the sanity of the forum I'm sat here with a calculator and not much to do at work so....that comes to £11069 :D

Tomko

Post by Tomko » Fri May 07, 2021 12:48 pm

mr.tourette wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:34 pm For the sanity of the forum I'm sat here with a calculator and not much to do at work so....that comes to £11069 :D
Trying to not look at that total haha. It's a few pennies but spread across a year or two shouldn't be toooo dreadful. I don't intend on this one going anywhere anytime soon either.
mr.tourette wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:32 pm 40 quid for a stubby :o are you buying it from Dick Turpin :lol:
With the stubby, I need to get a whole new arial unit as it's stuck and I won't be able to get it out without snapping it off. Wish I could just buy a screw on... but looks like I'm screwed with that ;)

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Fri May 07, 2021 12:53 pm

That makes a but more sense then :thumbsup:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri May 07, 2021 1:29 pm

Welcome to the madhouse. Certainly the most effective place for spending other people's money. :D
However, rather than spend any, let me be the first to help you save a little.
Tomko wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:48 pm With the stubby, I need to get a whole new arial unit as it's stuck and I won't be able to get it out without snapping it off. Wish I could just buy a screw on... but looks like I'm screwed with that ;)
The car is already trying to show you what a wrong move it would be to dispense with the illustrious whippy. Leave it where it belongs.
Hey, you've bought a roadster that's had a roof welded on to hide the aerial from your view anyway, so what does it matter. :poke: :D
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Tomko

Post by Tomko » Fri May 07, 2021 1:53 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:29 pm Welcome to the madhouse. Certainly the most effective place for spending other people's money. :D
However, rather than spend any, let me be the first to help you save a little.

The car is already trying to show you what a wrong move it would be to dispense with the illustrious whippy. Leave it where it belongs.
Hey, you've bought a roadster that's had a roof welded on to hide the aerial from your view anyway, so what does it matter. :poke: :D
Thanks for the welcome!

Hah, I imagine they welded a roof on purely just to hide the thing :lol: . But no, I do actually quite like the RC car look it gives the car, only issue is it's quite frayed and looks like someone's tried to remove it with a set of pliers at some point in its life. Getting another whippy to replace it is an option but no less of a cost option.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun May 09, 2021 8:11 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum, and also to Coupe ownership. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Zedebee » Sun May 09, 2021 9:44 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum. With what you spent on the car and what’s on your to-do list that’s near on twenty grand. You could have got a mint Z4MC for that. I wouldn’t bother with the add-ons and just enjoy what you’ve got.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

pilch

Post by pilch » Mon May 10, 2021 9:05 am

Welcome from a another newbie :thumbsup:

Can save you £150 on your steering wheel retrim, I had a previous cars steering wheel done at Royal Steering Wheels and it was half the amount you've budgeted plus it was an exemplary job :wink:

Tomko

Post by Tomko » Wed May 12, 2021 3:56 pm

Zedebee wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:44 pm Hi and welcome to the forum. With what you spent on the car and what’s on your to-do list that’s near on twenty grand. You could have got a mint Z4MC for that. I wouldn’t bother with the add-ons and just enjoy what you’ve got.
Fair comment and in all honestly it did make me do a double take at the list to pick out items that I think are essential for me to change, which did help me get the cost of everything I 'need' down to around 6k. Half of that is updating things that are needed to keep the car running. Did get it at a decent price being aware of some things needing changing though, thankfully.

I find it too easy to get ahead of myself when it comes to things on 4 wheels, so I appreciate the comment ;)