Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Hello Hello!

First port of call for new members
msportpanda

Hello Hello!

Post by msportpanda » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:44 pm

Hello everyone,

Joining this forum to get some more info about E85/86's.

I'm a long time BMW fan, having had straight 6 manual 3 series' since my second car. There is just something about the configuration that just appeals to me and I feel lost when I don't have one in my life!

It's been about 3 months since my last BMW fix and I have the opportunity to get myself into another. I'm currently deciding between a 330Ci and a Z4 3.0 manual. I'm trying to be around the 4/5k range, but looking at Z4C's and lci Z4R's budget creep has started to set in!

I have never driven or even been near a Z4 before so it would be good to get owners opinions on what they're like to drive and live with. I don't need practicality or seats etc, this'll be purely a fun car for Sunday mornings and will be replacing my MX5 that's sadly too rusty to save after I went to the effort to buy all the parts to turbo it!

I had a 330ci lci last year and it was genuinely one of the most brilliant cars I've had the pleasure of owning. Loved everything about it and it was a great steer too but the Z4 seems like it could be the ultimate way to enjoy the manual straight 6 package.

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Hello Hello!

Post by Ole gits rule » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:53 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum, great cars to drive and a world away from an MX5, you will be surprised by how economical they are to boot.

Good luck with the search, there is a few on here for sale in the classified so take a look as forum cars are normally well looked after :thumbsup:
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

brillomaster

Hello Hello!

Post by brillomaster » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:04 pm

if you've had a 330ci you'll be 95% of the way there (assuming it was an E46) as the running gear is very similar to an E85 Z4 - same engines, same brakes, same gearbox, same wheels...

i think the only noticeable difference (other than the obvious) is that a Z4 has electric steering, as opposed to most E46 3 series which are hydraulic? arguably hydraulic is better, unfortunately... but the z4 is still fine, just lacking the almost perfect steering that an E46 has.

Also, i find that driving a Z4 you feel very far back - you're basically sitting on the rear axle, and have a loooooong bonnet stretching out in front of you. Feels like the nose is darting about way in front of you, and you then follow it. also if you get a slide on, it very much feels like you are moving sideways, rather than the car pivoting behind you. that said, the E85 Z4 is a very compact car, so dead easy to place on a road and park.

and now they are very affordable indeed - get one, you wont regret it!

Wyldie85

Hello Hello!

Post by Wyldie85 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:55 pm

Wonderful. They’re low slung and have a long bonnet but you soon get used to it. They’re comfortable and surprisingly frugal and practical for a two seater sports car. A great way to enjoy the straight six performance and sound. Go and get one! :thumbsup:
2006 Silver grey 2.5si Convertible - Sold
2006 ///M Convertible - Sold
2019 Mercedes C300 AMG Line Premium Plus Estate
2019 San Francisco red M40i inc Tech & Comfort packs

1000rr

Hello Hello!

Post by 1000rr » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:15 pm

They are brilliant. Little outlay for a fabulous car.
The e85 are ridiculously good value for money, and for little outlay for small improvements, are epic.

E89 are coming down in price too, and again are ridiculous value for money.

They all have aged very well, timeless design too.

Brilliant cars IMO.
Sterling 3.0, Bentley burgundy leather, Aeros..
Ducati Supersport S

Will I am.123

Hello Hello!

Post by Will I am.123 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:55 pm

Hi Msportpanda if you want some thing to put a smile on your face & give you tremendous feeling of well being the Z4 3 Ltr is for you...In fact I've got two !!!but have advertised one on Buy & Sell Forum..

Haggisman

Hello Hello!

Post by Haggisman » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:18 pm

E85 all the way as a fun car. 330ci ‘s are nice but for a weekend car it has to be the Z4
2003 Toledo Blue 3.0 E85 Manual
2008 Volvo V50 - Dog Car
2020 Kia Sportage GT - Her Indoor’s Car
1995 Dakar Yellow M3 E36 Race Car - Sold
2009 Vauxhall Astra VXR - Sold
2003 350Z well modded - Sold
1992 911 RS - Sold and still in mourning

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Hello Hello!

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:34 pm

Firstly welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

For a year or so I had my 2nd 3.0Si Coupe and an E90 330i as a daily, so the same N52 engine in a different body.

But the Z4 just felt so much more special every time I drove it, was noticeably quicker and sounded much better. The 330i was a good car, but very refined, whereas the Z4 felt more like a sports car.

I think you'd notice the same sort of difference between your 330Ci and a 3.0i Z4 that both use the M54 engine.

So good luck with your search!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Hello Hello!

Post by buzyg » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:57 pm

Welcome :) . Had a few mx5s on the drive. Love them to bits. We currently still have a mk3.75. Much lighter car and the chassis is very different from any Z4. Z4 has far stiffer springs and you can't see the near side front of the car from bihind the wheel. Makes it a fun challenge to drive down a twisty switch back road, but in quite a different way to the soft yielding chassis of a standard mx5. If yours had a turbo then the Z4 is also going to feel slow, but with a far more linier delivery. The Z4 is more grown up and a great weekend car with a bit more room in the boot for weekends away too: :driving: :thumbsup:

Happy hunting. :D