Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

A Hope to be Future Z4 Owner

First port of call for new members
craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

Post by craig3.2 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:27 pm

As some say,look at cost of buying a 20i m sport for example, or an equivalent 28 or 30/35i, and the cist difference of that against buying a 20i, and upping Brakes,adding a few mods possibly,and a Remap, exhaust,etc ,and whatever else takes your fancy.

Lots if options :D
Last edited by craig3.2 on Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:08 pm

Jay-Jay wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:14 am Hi everyone,

Pleased to meet you all, I did post on PistonHeads but MrTidy suggested I come here as well to maybe get some of my questions answered
Hi and welcome - hopefully you've had some useful feedback from E89 owners. :thumbsup:
enuff_zed wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:00 pm Oh you don't want to listen to him! What does he know? :poke: :rofl:
With the obvious odd exception! :P

Happy hunting!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Jay-Jay

Post by Jay-Jay » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:14 pm

Thank you kindly, loads of info here and didn't realise how many you tube channels for the z4 as well, it has quite the fan club world wide!

For now i just need to prep so when the time comes i know what im looking for, as can imagine sports cars will be very very popular after lockdown
Alpine White E89 28i M Sport

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:24 pm

My 2p worth :D

If you are looking for a 4 pot (N20) and are not too bothered about toys (i drive etc), the 18i and 20i are MUCH better value for money than the 28i. The 28i is quite rare used therefore people who are selling them seem to think they command a premium.

The 28i does come with larger front brakes from the factory, however, as someone (on here) pointed out to me; brakes are not about bhp they are about momentum. The car, whether it be a 18i, 20i, or a 28i, weigh the same in the same trim. When you apply the brakes you are not applying power (hopefully), so the braking force will be the same requirement for all the above at the same speed. OK, so theoretically if you have a 18i or 20i which has been re-mapped, it has a higher top speed, therefore your (potential) momentum will be higher. This is only relevant if you intend to hard brake from 140 mph plus! :D If you were to "upgrade" the standard discs and pads it will always be better anyway.

I would say find a car you like, with the mileage you like, in the colour you like, M sport because they look better and will be easier to sell and ignore the badge reference.

I have an 18i M sport that I have had re-mapped (280bhp for £279) and it is a f*cking laugh-and-a-half! Old fashioned hooligan performance with the famous BMW lack of turbo lag. It cost me £4K less than the equivalent 28i.

Also get a manual, they are a real driver's car and the gearbox is as sweet as a nut. If you really want a slushbox, get a 6 pot.

Unfortunately the "summer tax" has kicked in now for drop tops :(
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Jay-Jay

Post by Jay-Jay » Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:44 pm

All feedback is very much appreciated, im not fussed now about the 18i to the 28i now as I've learned more, 6pot would be nice but will be out of budget, plus extra car tax, insurance

Was looking at auto as for my commute in town there is a lot of start, stop which is a pain at the best of times.
As always reading on a forum you see more of the issues than the good, i can do the basics with car maintenance bur after seeing all the roof issues with rewiring and soldering it has made me worry a little if im honest

Boltz

Post by Boltz » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:37 pm

Jay-Jay all makes all models of cars have issues and go to their associate forums and you will see these common issues. If you go looking at another make and model of convertible I bet there will be roof problems. Just go get yourself an E89 and enjoy it.😀
VW Golf GTI Edition 35

Previous E89 18i manual Msport LCI, remapped, 282 bhp 453nm torque, Supersprint exhaust, decatted, stubby, BMW Performance Big Brake Kit, Msport rear valance and diffuser, Inovit 19inch Vector alloys, Msport black grilles.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:25 pm

Jay-Jay wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:44 pm As always reading on a forum you see more of the issues than the good
The E89 is not a problematic car. Yes, if you buy a convertible and park it in the rain all year it will probably get water ingress (name a convertible that doesn't). Mechanically they are good; you will always find issues with any car if you look hard enough. There are many posts on here mentioning how fragile the big alloys are, this can be said for any manufacturer who put big (non-forged) wheels on their cars (MB, Audi even Honda).

The E89, depending on model, is actually a very good used buy ATM. The 35i and 35is are expensive but look what they cost new! :o

Mr Boltz' car is for sale and has everything you have said you require (except auto). As it is a "forum car" that should give better peace of mind as car forum members tend to care about their cars.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:51 pm

The issue with forums is that most people visit / join as they have an issue they are trying to resolve, very few people actually join if they have no interest in forums to say their car is running great.

All cars will have issues, I park my Z4 outside all the time and have had no issues through this winter with water ingress, the Z4 is a great car in fact the e89. gives the best of both worlds, coupe and roadster at the touch of a button.

If you really want a Z4 then buy one and enjoy the car, do not worry about what MAY go wrong, if you think like that you will never buy a used car and should stick with new for the warranty.

I purchased from a dealer and bought a 36 month warranty for peace of mind and I hope I never have to use it.

Boltz car looks absolutely stunning in the for sale advert but there are plenty around at dealers if you really need an auto.
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Jay-Jay

Post by Jay-Jay » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:33 pm

Some good wisdom there ole git, for sure this is the most I've spent on a car, and i will enjoy it and cherish it :driving:
I have bought thing's forward too, looking to start searching to buy from mid April now, want to try and not get caught by summer time prices!

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:05 pm

Jay-Jay wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:33 pm Some good wisdom there ole git, for sure this is the most I've spent on a car, and i will enjoy it and cherish it :driving:
I have bought thing's forward too, looking to start searching to buy from mid April now, want to try and not get caught by summer time prices!
Thanks - just my thoughts but in general the straight 6 engines are solid so no major issues with the car
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Boltz

Post by Boltz » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:07 pm

Ole gits rule wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:05 pm Boltz car looks absolutely stunning in the for sale advert but there are plenty around at dealers if you really need an auto.
Looks like I am going to pay you some salesman commission 😂
VW Golf GTI Edition 35

Previous E89 18i manual Msport LCI, remapped, 282 bhp 453nm torque, Supersprint exhaust, decatted, stubby, BMW Performance Big Brake Kit, Msport rear valance and diffuser, Inovit 19inch Vector alloys, Msport black grilles.

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:16 pm

It is one of the cleanest looking cars I have ever seen, it would be a tight call between you and true blue, wish I could spend the time detailing mine to that extent :)

Boltz

Post by Boltz » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:06 pm

Ole gits rule wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:16 pm It is one of the cleanest looking cars I have ever seen, it would be a tight call between you and true blue, wish I could spend the time detailing mine to that extent
I wonder if I drop my Zed at TruBlu’s he will give it the once over for me with his new found detailing skills
VW Golf GTI Edition 35

Jay-Jay

Post by Jay-Jay » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:31 pm

Ole gits rule wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:16 pm It is one of the cleanest looking cars I have ever seen, it would be a tight call between you and true blue, wish I could spend the time detailing mine to that extent :)
I've seen Boltz car ad, it looks veey mint and obviously has been extremely well looked after, hope you find a buyer soon :thumbsup:

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:42 pm

Boltz wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:06 pm
Ole gits rule wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:16 pm It is one of the cleanest looking cars I have ever seen, it would be a tight call between you and true blue, wish I could spend the time detailing mine to that extent
I wonder if I drop my Zed at TruBlu’s he will give it the once over for me with his new found detailing skills
Sorry, I am number one in that que :D