Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

A Hope to be Future Z4 Owner

First port of call for new members
Jay-Jay

Post by Jay-Jay » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:14 am

Hi everyone,

Pleased to meet you all, I did post on PistonHeads but MrTidy suggested I come here as well to maybe get some of my questions answered :)

My background is I've sold my daily commute as it was not needed (Mazda6) only did 2500 miles in a year lol
Working from home most of the time now with visits to the office around 12 miles away once or twice a week which will become the norm.

We have a family car which in the guise of a Outlander and we use this when we go out together which means I can finally get something a bit special for myself 8)

Which brings me here, although I'm going to wait a couple of months so I can (save money) test drive and have a very good look around I have my heart set on a Z4 S28i around a 2015/16 plate.

I know I can look at a S20i and get a remap but wondered if there are trim/feature differences between them on the M-Sport spec ?

I'll be using the Z4 all year round, how have others found this ?

From what I've read reliability is pretty good as long as its maintained, seen some really good videos on YouTube from the SimpleCarGuy especially for taking care of the roof, with UK weather should this be done a few times a year or more ?

Does everyone use a BMW dealer for services/repair work etc as I've been with my local garage for long time and would rather use them for any work.

How well does the Z4 stand up with high millage, I'll be looking to keep this car as long as I can, will prob do around 10k per annum
Alpine White E89 28i M Sport

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:00 pm

Jay-Jay wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:14 am MrTidy suggested I come here as well
Oh you don't want to listen to him! What does he know? :poke: :rofl:

Welcome to the forum.

Seems you have done your research already, and reading the relevant posts in here will add to all that.
It seems that the 18i tended to be a lower spec, but there is often little to choose between the 20i and the 28i.
I believe the 28i had slightly bigger front brakes, but plenty on here are running remapped 20i's with standard brakes and no issues, me included.

From previous posts it seems people have often struggled to find the exact 28i they want within an acceptable timescale, so have opted for a 20i and a remap. Indeed there is at least one 18i mapped up to the same level.

Regarding mileage: being newer they have in general not racked up the distances that the E85s have but many are rattling along quite nicely in daily usage. I guess the main future issue could be turbo life, which can be helped by regular oil changes, allowing it to spool down after a run etc.

The latest models had the timing chain issue resolved too, so one less thing to worry about.

Good luck with your search.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Boltz

Post by Boltz » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:27 pm

Jay-Jay, I two years ago was looking for a manual 28i but it was quickly pointed out to me that I could purchase a 18i much cheaper and improve it so I did and lavished some nice upgrades upon it and it’s still come in cheaper than purchasing a 28i. I now have an E89 that is faster than 28i, stops better than a 28i and sounds better than a 28i. If you are getting a 28i you will be paying more because it just had a higher engine tune from factory. 👍
VW Golf GTI Edition 35

Previous E89 18i manual Msport LCI, remapped, 282 bhp 453nm torque, Supersprint exhaust, decatted, stubby, BMW Performance Big Brake Kit, Msport rear valance and diffuser, Inovit 19inch Vector alloys, Msport black grilles.

Jay-Jay

Post by Jay-Jay » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:18 pm

Thanks for the replies, So in essence the 18i, 20i & 28i difference is just the larger brake disks on the 28i, apart from that trim level is the same accross them, so M-Sport on a 18i is the same as a 28i ?

Boltz

Post by Boltz » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:38 pm

Jay-Jay wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:18 pm Thanks for the replies, So in essence the 18i, 20i & 28i difference is just the larger brake disks on the 28i, apart from that trim level is the same accross them, so M-Sport on a 18i is the same as a 28i
Yes the only difference is the 28i has bigger front brakes and is tuned higher, the engines are the same. Spec wise though I have seen Msport 18i cars with all the gadgets and some not so highly specced up. I cannot say whether though an Msport 28i comes as standard with more kit than say the Msport 18i & 28i, perhaps someone will come along later and clarify it.
VW Golf GTI Edition 35

Previous E89 18i manual Msport LCI, remapped, 282 bhp 453nm torque, Supersprint exhaust, decatted, stubby, BMW Performance Big Brake Kit, Msport rear valance and diffuser, Inovit 19inch Vector alloys, Msport black grilles.

Ming

Post by Ming » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:59 pm

I have the 20i mapped up to 28i levels, standard brakes and it's an M - Sport so all the goodies. Fully loaded inside as well and a very nice place to be. Much more choice of 20i and even 18i rather than the 28i which is a rare beast but TBH not worth the large extra initial outlay when you can turn the lower power models up to the same level
I do like to go topless......
....... in my remapped 20i in Valencia Orange with Black Roof :driving:

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:30 pm

Welcome to the forum. :) Good old PH. Kind of killed off by Facebook these days. For matters Z4 Mr Tidy has steered you to the right place. :thumbsup:

I"m bemused that folk think having better brakes less important than power output. It used to be you improved your brakes first, as that is were the biggest gains were for overall performance. :?

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:33 pm

Mechanical spec is the same (with the obvious decision between manual and auto) but the add-ons vary wildly and you will need to decide what you MUST have and what you would LIKE if possible.
For example, I am not bothered with a lot of stuff and it's a keeper, so resale value doesn't faze me. My 20i does not have parking sensors or sat nav, which a lot of people crave. It does have heated seats and a heated steering wheel. The wheel I could live without tbh but the heated seats are excellent. Possibly the first and maybe only thing I would spec if buying it new.
Buying second-hand can limit your choices but that depends on whether you need it now or can hang around for possibly 6 months or more?

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:35 pm

buzyg wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:30 pm I"m bemused that folk think having better brakes less important than power output. It used to be you improved your brakes first, as that is were the biggest gains were for overall performance. :?
To clarify my thoughts.......
I don't decry the advantage of better brakes. My point is that I have not ever felt that I have exceeded the capabilities of the ones that are on it. Therefore from my personal point of view I wouldn't let that sway my decision.
I may be wrong but I think it was PBondar who said he'd upgraded to the 28i brakes and in hindsight would not have bothered.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:12 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:35 pm
buzyg wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:30 pm I"m bemused that folk think having better brakes less important than power output. It used to be you improved your brakes first, as that is were the biggest gains were for overall performance. :?
To clarify my thoughts.......
I don't decry the advantage of better brakes. My point is that I have not ever felt that I have exceeded the capabilities of the ones that are on it. Therefore from my personal point of view I wouldn't let that sway my decision.
I may be wrong but I think it was PBondar who said he'd upgraded to the 28i brakes and in hindsight would not have bothered.
I think it demonstrates well, that we have passed the point of performance that is every day usable in modern sports cars. A half decent fwd hatch will trance most rwd sports car down a typical bumpy twisting B road or country lane. The rest is mainly for show. Which is fair enough. :) :thumbsup: Time to get the roof down. 8)

Ming

Post by Ming » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:45 pm

You'll never outrun a modern Golf GTI in a Z4 on most UK roads. The reason for remapping my 20i is for overtaking grunt and movement off the line. Once I'm up to a decent speed I'll ease off, so don't need massive brakes to slow back down again. If I was driving everywhere with my arse on fire then maybe I'd look at upgrading the brakes but they're absolutely fine for normal spirited driving.
I do like to go topless......
....... in my remapped 20i in Valencia Orange with Black Roof :driving:

Jay-Jay

Post by Jay-Jay » Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:34 pm

Thanks all, learning a lot here !
Reason I was also looking at a 28i was that it comes with the extra power, even if it’s just a remap, for me that means nothing to declare for insurance.
If I got a 20i remap and also in case of any potential warranty depending where I bought, but I’m defo more open to 20i now if I can’t find the 28i with the features I would like.
Cost wise from what I've seen there is not too much of a difference, but i'm unsure how prices and availability will be after lock down officially ends, in my head it will be something like Wacky Racers...

In terms of must have's, I’m not bothered about Sat Nav, I tend to use Waze on unknown journeys but I do like to hear music whilst cruising along, thats one thing I need to test which is the speakers, I’m not expecting harmon kardon levels but if need be I may retro-fit some bass if that is straight forward to do.

If I could buy sooner I so would be :driving: but I need to save the money first and need to test drive, have a good look around which at the moment is very difficult....
I will be travelling to where ever I need to as well to get the right one.

Wind Deflector- Are these a must have and can you keep them in place when you close the roof ?

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:03 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum, also good luck with the search for your perfect z4,
I haven’t driven mine without the wind deflector but from what I’ve read it does stop a lot of wind buffering at higher speeds, no need to remove for operating the roof, heated m sport seats should be high on your list of essentials their great when the weather is a little chilly 😁
Parking sensors are useful although visibility is quite good.
The basic speaker set up isn’t very good so if that’s important to you then try and get the 11 ( I think) speaker set up, it wasn’t too important to me as my hearing is shot and I tend to have the roof down and listen to the straight 6 soundtrack
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:46 pm

Hello and welcome - good luck with the search.

Enough has been said about the four pots but have you should try a 6cyl model?, I doubt you will see much difference in fuel usage but will get that lovely six cylinder sound.

Spec wise, I purchased an Mport Highline 23i which has enough power for me, however, it has all the toys I would want plus a few extra in a sports car that's are not strictly required. The only ones I really needed were heated seats / wind deflector but I also added a smart top for roof opening / closing off the key plus one touch off the interior button and found the folding mirrors a great extra benefit.

I use mine everyday and there are no issues as long as you lose the run flats in winter.
Last edited by Ole gits rule on Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

Post by craig3.2 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:53 pm

Jay-Jay wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:34 pm Thanks all, learning a lot here !
Reason I was also looking at a 28i was that it comes with the extra power, even if it’s just a remap, for me that means nothing to declare for insurance.
If I got a 20i remap and also in case of any potential warranty depending where I bought, but I’m defo more open to 20i now if I can’t find the 28i with the features I would like.
Cost wise from what I've seen there is not too much of a difference, but i'm unsure how prices and availability will be after lock down officially ends, in my head it will be something like Wacky Racers...

In terms of must have's, I’m not bothered about Sat Nav, I tend to use Waze on unknown journeys but I do like to hear music whilst cruising along, thats one thing I need to test which is the speakers, I’m not expecting harmon kardon levels but if need be I may retro-fit some bass if that is straight forward to do.

If I could buy sooner I so would be :driving: but I need to save the money first and need to test drive, have a good look around which at the moment is very difficult....
I will be travelling to where ever I need to as well to get the right one.

Wind Deflector- Are these a must have and can you keep them in place when you close the roof ?
Yes,the wind deflectors can he kept in place with the roof up,but when it starts getting dull/dark,you can't see much through them, lol.

I would say a Wind deflector is a Must have,imo

As others say,try the 6 cylinder models,it gives a Proper sports car sound, nothing against 4 pots,have one in my other car,but in the z,a 6 cylinder is a must for me.
I know there are lots of things on here about upping the power of a 20i to that of a 28i or beyond,as some have gone nuts with bigger turbos,etc etc...
At the end if the day, while they may have 28/30/35i levels of performance,they won't be worth much more than a standard 20i come resale..... whereas a 30/35i etc will go for more.
Each to their own,but you should look at the 6cylinder cars too,as suggested by others too.

Standard brakes are fine for some ,but others prefer better stopping from bigger brakes.
I upped the brakes in my first z,a 3.0, and saw noticeable improvement in stopping, likewise with my current z, although it was more the brake fade after a few hours of very spirited runs, that the Standard brakes were bad for,but for most people,they don't need the extra braking,as well I wouldn't either,in regular driving,it's only when really pressing on and stopping on a dime, repeatedly,that better brakes come into their own....and that's only a handful of times a year for me.

Also,it's not just bigger brakes,that say a 39/35i would have over a 20i,etc but strengthened components like cams,bigger injectors,brakes,etc etc.
Worth looking at all options.
As Chippie says,the 11 speaker stereo is a nice extra to have,ditto heated seats and Satnav,but again,that comes down to personal preference.

Happy searching and test driving, when you are able :driving: :thumbsup:
Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)