Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

NEW owner - E86

First port of call for new members
Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

NEW owner - E86

Post by Zedebee » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:49 pm

Phippy wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:26 am Thanks for the tips Zedebee, I will keep an eye out for you!
Will add the callipers to the list for when i overhaul the suspension, although now raises the question of what colour?
...My logical side is saying black, but yellow might be quite eye catching.
Yellow on black would certainly be eye catching; whatever floats your boat. Personally I did mine black, but I prefer low key. I did try a copper/bronze colour but it looked awful. I think a classic red calliper on a black car looks good, there are several examples on here.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

Phippy

NEW owner - E86

Post by Phippy » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:04 pm

It sounds more dramatic than it really is... my start point was a cheap MX5 i could mess about in, no regrets though as i know a Mazda would never put the same smile on my face!

E type is also stunning, did you ever get a chance to drive one? Tbh anything with a long bonnet and a cab over the rear wheels is going to be a head turner!

I didn't realise the carbon black was duel tone until i went to see it and it looked completely different to the photos - thought i was buying a black car and turned up to see a blue car :rofl:

I think i will end up going black Zedebee, the idea of yellow is nice.... just think it might be a bit taccy.
2008 BMW Z4 3.0SI Sport Coupe
2013 VW T5.1 Camper - Built not bought

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

NEW owner - E86

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:44 pm

No I've never driven an E-Type, but maybe that is a good thing going by the age-old phrase "never meet your heroes"!

I was glad my car came with red brakes calipers, and the struts behind the kidney grilles had been painted to match.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Phippy

NEW owner - E86

Post by Phippy » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:00 pm

It’s probably the epitome of that phrase as well!

How are you enjoying the M? Assume it’s not your daily driver? I’d like to try one one day but hard to justify the extra cost when (as far as I read on here) the E86 is 90% of the car anyway...

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

NEW owner - E86

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:37 pm

I'm loving the M but you're right it isn't my daily! I've had a 330i for daily duty for a couple of years that has the same N52 engine as a 3.0Si.

I always reckoned the 3.0Si was about 80% of the M for 50% of the money, and even now I've had the M over a year I still think that.

But I went to look at an M in June 2019 that I talked myself out of buying. Then a few months later I went to look at one a mile from home for a forum member who was over 150 mles away. The trader stuck the trade plates on fired it up and said he'd see me later, so I did 15 miles unaccompanied and just loved it. But it had done about 100K miles and was black with black, my least favourite colour combination.

Anyway mine was advertised for a tempting price that December because it had to be gone before Christmas and after 5+ years of 3.0Sis I just couldn't resist. :lol:

I know paying double for about another 20% of the ownership experience seems extravagant, especially as the M is much higher maintenance, but at my age I figured if I was ever going to have one I'd better get on with it.

So if you want to avoid more budget creep I'd suggest avoiding driving an M. :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Phippy

NEW owner - E86

Post by Phippy » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:42 am

haha thats some very good advice! :thumbsup:

I do love the look of the twin exhaust and front bumper, subtly so much more aggressive, although only cosmetic I could never bring myself to convert a non M to look like an M. And 20% is a decent amount more car if you ask me, also comes with the hardcore diver image as well.

Maybe one day I'll have one but afraid they will be on pretty high miles (and even more expensive) by then! Unless i get lucky and find one like yours thats been preserved.. have you been on any track days in it or is it just for weekend fun?

Hows the maintenance costs too? tad higher than the 3.0 i'm guessing?

SCOTTY L

NEW owner - E86

Post by SCOTTY L » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:52 pm

Hi there and welcome from a fellow coupe owner :thumbsup:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

NEW owner - E86

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:54 pm

Phippy wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:42 am Maybe one day I'll have one but afraid they will be on pretty high miles (and even more expensive) by then! Unless i get lucky and find one like yours thats been preserved.. have you been on any track days in it or is it just for weekend fun?

Hows the maintenance costs too? tad higher than the 3.0 i'm guessing?
It's just a bit of excitement for when I'm in the mood. Years ago I used to go on track days with a mate and he always said he would never take anything he couldn't afford to bin, and his words have stuck with me!

Maintenance costs are probably at least double for an M, but it's only money and you can't take it with you. :lol:

Anyway keep enjoying your Coupe as much as is currently possible. :driving:
Coupes because stunning!
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Vijay

NEW owner - E86

Post by Vijay » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:10 pm

Welcome to the mad-house!
2007 Z4 3.0Si Coupe, Carbon Black, 53K on clock & counting...
Mineral White M240i

SCOTTY L

NEW owner - E86

Post by SCOTTY L » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:23 pm

Hi there and welcome to the fourm. :!: :thumbsup: