Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Thinking about buying a Z4 e85

First port of call for new members
Rldee007

Post by Rldee007 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:39 am

Hi all,

Also been a Alfa guy buy fancy a change.

I want a e85 3.0 ideally with heated seats.

Is rust a real issue on these cars from a cosmetic and safety perspective?
I have never seen or noticed bet read a fews things.

I want is a ball park figure for mechanically sound car with good body work?
Are there any rare colours?
I want to personalised slightly but nothing too mad. Maybe racing stripes.

I expect I will do anything between 6k to 12k miles per year.

I currently have a Guilia Velcoe which is generally faster but I miss the wind in the hair. I use to have a Spider 939 but got rid of it because we had a child. Then realised I never have more than me and the dog in the car at a time. Really miss that car but they are more expensive then Z4's generally and in 18 months time we might be moving to another country.

Anyother advicd would be great please!

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:46 pm

Hi Ridee007,

I am also an Alfa guy and have had 3 yes 3 939 Spiders, a 07 plate 2.2JTS and then a lovely 2.2LE back when they were launched and that was a great car - looks were amazing even if it was not the best drivers car.

Earlier this year after losing my job and company car I purchased a 2.4 JTDm as I also missed the wind in the hair motoring, big mistake with that as it was not a patch on the LE so swapped out for an e89 - great cars with a superb engine and easily getting 35mpg from a 2.5L straight six.

Cant help on the e85 but someone with more knowledge will be along shortly to advise.

Welcome to the forum.
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

M340

Post by M340 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:12 pm

Rldee007 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:39 am I want a e85 3.0 ideally with heated seats.
FYI there are two 3.0s....the original M54 engine with 230BHP and the later, facelifted cars badged 3.0Si, which has the N52 and 265BHP. A 2.5Si might also be an option as thats a facelifted car with 218BHP. All have strengths and weaknesses :thumbsup:
Is rust a real issue on these cars from a cosmetic and safety perspective?
Not really a big issue for Z4s. Plenty of cared for cars that won't have any
I want is a ball park figure for mechanically sound car with good body work?
All depends on engine, spec and mileage. At the moment, From £3.5k for a high mileage 3.0 with an auto box up to £6-9k for a good, low mile manual 3.0Si. £5k should get you something that hits the mark. People will tell you a good 3.0 or 3.0Si is less than that but finding one is another matter :D
Are there any rare colours?
Yes, and rare 'Individual' interiors too...here is the full database (EDIT: ah, for Z4M and 3.0Si only):

http://perso.numericable.fr/tonyz4c/ind ... EiUCcrVr6c
I want to personalised slightly but nothing too mad. Maybe racing stripes.
Each to their own.... :o :D

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:10 pm

Welcome to the Forum. :)

White and Sepang spring to mind as quite rare on an E85.

Worcester_spoon

Post by Worcester_spoon » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:49 pm

Man, really fancy a 939 3.2V6. Would look great sat alongside the zed!
03 Z4R 3.0i/Silver/custom quad/330d brake upgrade/LSD/G-Power supercharger/FIC 365cc injectors/Severn Tuning map

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:28 pm

Rather get the LE much better spec than the 3.2 and will be worth more in the long run and not that much slower in reality
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:07 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

The only corrosion that seems to happen is the rear brake pipes at the rear end of the plastic cover that is a bit in front of the paseenger side rear wheel.

Most Roadster owners look for heated seats, and if you can find a car with them the optional M-Sport seats are very sought after (they are standard on Facelift Sport models). Standard spec was a bit mean so the heated seats, cruise control, Bi-Xenons, rear parking sensors and the multi-function steering wheel were all options which is worth bearing in mind if any of those are "must haves".

When you look at one make sue the roof motor works properly both up and down. BMW fitted the motor where it is prone to ending up in a pool of water from the roof drains, but there are a few people who can relocate them into the boot to avoid that issue and can sometimes revive dead motors.

Merlot and Toledo Blue are fairly rare colours because BMW only offered them on the earlier pre-facelift models (the facelift was in 2006). There were a few "Individual" optional colours like Ruby Black.

Good luck finding the right one. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Rldee007

Post by Rldee007 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:10 pm

Thank you.

I think the 2.4 Alfa Spider when remapped is much better then the 2.2 from speed and reliability. I also thought the Alfa has better interior build quality then the e85.
I would love the 3.2 but too manly silly faults which are expensive yo fix and also they are 12k plus at the moment.

My main car is a Guilia Veloce.

I expect I'll put somewhere between 6k to 12k miles over a year and a bit. I am not too put off by mileage (90k to 130k ish) if the car appears to be mechanically sound, good service history, body in f good condition

I have drove a 3.0 and thought it was great.

I think I would be happy with a 2.5si too. I'm on the fence 2.5.

So based upon that how much should I spend as a ball park figure per each model?

If I am honest I want a yellow one if possible.

I have been looking at e85s for a while now.

Rldee007

Post by Rldee007 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:23 pm

Also 3.0 v 3.0si what sort of price would you expect to pay for a half decent one of each?
Also based upon what I have previously said?

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:20 pm

916 spider maybe £4k although the 939 Spider is £8k upwards from what I have seen in the market.

e85 could be £3k but again for both it will depend on mileage / condition / spec etc.