Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Newbie in anticipation for 35is or 35i

First port of call for new members
Zforbes

Post by Zforbes » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:49 pm

Hi all,

I've joined this forum looking for some expert advice and opinions for my next move in the car market. I'm currently driving an audi A5 3.0 oilburner with a remap. I have owned this for 4 years now, not by choice but I've spent the last 3 years renovating my home so stuck with practicality and a shortage of funds. Just hit the big 50 and a 3 car family so looking for some fun motoring. I'm up in Lancashire's Ribble Valley surrounded by excellent roads and beautiful countryside. :D

I also like to tinker and get my hands dirty, Im in the engineering trade, office based thesedays but have access to typical toolroom machinery and space to work if need be. If anybody needs any bits / mods making let me know, I can help :thumbsup:

I'm now looking to get back in a beemer and my choice is a Z4, E89 hopefully a 35is if I can get my hands on a nice motor within my budget, 2nd choice would be a 35i but i think manual box would be the drivers choice - please let me know if my thoughts are following your experiences. My budget is up to £13k so not many Is's around in my price range but Im happy to wait for the right car.

I've been looking though buyers advice on what to look for when it comes to kicking tyres, further help, guidance, advice opinions welcome.

Thanks

Mark (Zforbesy)
E89 sDrive 35is Titan Silver Kansas Black Leather

lyricalgangsteruk

Post by lyricalgangsteruk » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:59 pm

Sounds similar to me!

47 yr old, kids now up and about, re-married after grim divorce and looking to get back in the fold.

Looking for 35i or 35is sometime next year, and have made contact with potential seller on this site :wink:

He knows who he is haha

Good luckk in your search, cos I can't wait for next year :D

Zforbes

Post by Zforbes » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:13 pm

:D Time for the mid life crisis, I've lasted 3 years longer (or had kids 3 years later) Daughter at uni and wife long term working from home so use of a car is easy.

Best place to start the search is with fellow enthusiasts :thumbsup:

IRD

Post by IRD » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:37 pm

All 3.5is cars are auto so if you are determined on a manual box it will have to be a 3.5i or a 3.0i. Good luck with your search. :thumbsup:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:42 pm

Welcome to the forum Mark. :thumbsup:

If you haven't read it already you might want to take a look at this thread posted by a 35i owner who has had a couple of 35is models:- viewtopic.php?f=23&t=124798

The 35is has a bit more power as standard but they all have the DCT gearbox so if you prefer manual you'll need to find a 35i. But as both have the same turbo'd engine more power is just a remap away!

I left it late to begin my Z4 journey as I was 55 - still I'm so glad I got there in the end!

Happy hunting. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:57 pm

Similar to you, got a Z4 at 50 last year then changed it for a 35iS a couple of weeks ago.

I love mine and am just getting used to it but I haven’t seen any iS’s at your budget. As mentioned earlier a 35i is manual if your that’s your preference and a remap away from more power than an iS.

Good luck with your search and the information and guidance on here is invaluable :thumbsup:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Zforbes

Post by Zforbes » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:58 pm

IRD wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:37 pm All 3.5is cars are auto so if you are determined on a manual box it will have to be a 3.5i or a 3.0i. Good luck with your search.
    Yeah, I've done my homework :D someone on autotrader dreaming they have the only manual but nothing other than his advert says its an is. should be taken off :guns:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... 5is&page=1

If its a 35i what’s the thought auto or manual? No compromise with the 'is' cars as the extra horses and exclusivity makes me want the ultimate e89

gadgetJunky72

Post by gadgetJunky72 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:01 pm

I've had 4 x 35i and 1 x 35iS and the iS wasn't that much faster than the 35i in the real world. 2 differences that may or may not be important to you is that iS models have adaptive dampers as standard and the exhaust has a slightly nicer sound. I've had a 35i with adaptive suspension, but it's a rare option. I also still found even in the stiffer setting on the adaptive dampers the 35i and 35iS car still wasn't that flat in the corners. so it might be better to get a 35i and change to coilovers.

I'm still deciding what to go for for my 7th Z4. If I did go for an E39 then I think a 35i is better value for money.

Zforbes

Post by Zforbes » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:05 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:57 pm Similar to you, got a Z4 at 50 last year then changed it for a 35iS a couple of weeks ago.

I love mine and am just getting used to it but I haven’t seen any iS’s at your budget. As mentioned earlier a 35i is manual if your that’s your preference and a remap away from more power than an iS.

Good luck with your search and the information and guidance on here is invaluable
    There was one last week on Autotrader - was advertised by a trader near Edinburgh but sold within the week whilst I was contemplating :headbang:

It appears to have been purchased by another trader (mainstealer) and readvertised for £16k

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... 83473965?m

It is the same car as I checked the history on cazana :headbang: :headbang:

Zforbes

Post by Zforbes » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:19 pm

gadgetJunky72 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:01 pm I've had 4 x 35i and 1 x 35iS and the iS wasn't that much faster than the 35i in the real world. 2 differences that may or may not be important to you is that iS models have adaptive dampers as standard and the exhaust has a slightly nicer sound. I've had a 35i with adaptive suspension, but it's a rare option. I also still found even in the stiffer setting on the adaptive dampers the 35i and 35iS car still wasn't that flat in the corners. so it might be better to get a 35i and change to coilovers.

I'm still deciding what to go for for my 7th Z4. If I did go for an E39 then I think a 35i is better value for money.
    That's good info - thanks

If I went for a manual 35i a remap would be on the cards, the is isn't as much of a gain and I'm unsure whether a remap on an auto is a wise decision. My a5 remap (manual) as been the best money I've ever spent and totally transformed the car from being boring to being acceptanble

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:26 pm

Zforbes wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:05 pm
    Argyll Andy wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:57 pm Similar to you, got a Z4 at 50 last year then changed it for a 35iS a couple of weeks ago.

Good luck with your search and the information and guidance on here is invaluable
    There was one last week on Autotrader - was advertised by a trader near Edinburgh but sold within the week whilst I was contemplating :headbang:

It appears to have been purchased by another trader (mainstealer) and readvertised for £16k

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... 83473965?m

It is the same car as I checked the history on cazana :headbang: :headbang:
    I bought mine within hours of it being advertised as in the right spec/decent mileage they don’t hang around long

Not keen on main dealers either but I bought mine from a main dealer as an AUC car, which is what that one you’ve linked is now being sold as.

Re the car you missed out on, I’d have been put off by no heated seats, no iDrive and looks like a basic stereo (which I had in my last one and was severely disappointed and can be costly to upgrade) no parking sensors and possibly other desirables missing.

Some of these might not be important to you but in the top of the range models they make a difference in both purchase price and resale appeal.

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
      G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
      E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
      E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Zforbes

Post by Zforbes » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:58 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:26 pm I bought mine within hours of it being advertised as in the right spec/decent mileage they don’t hang around long

Not keen on main dealers either but I bought mine from a main dealer as an AUC car, which is what that one you’ve linked is now being sold as.

Re the car you missed out on, I’d have been put off by no heated seats, no iDrive and looks like a basic stereo (which I had in my last one and was severely disappointed and can be costly to upgrade) no parking sensors and possibly other desirables missing.

Some of these might not be important to you but in the top of the range models they make a difference in both purchase price and resale appeal.
      This is the info I'm looking for - it was the spec that made me consider until it was too late. Thanks for the input, valuable info :thumbsup:

IRD

Post by IRD » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:10 pm

Zforbes wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:58 pm
      IRD wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:37 pm All 3.5is cars are auto so if you are determined on a manual box it will have to be a 3.5i or a 3.0i. Good luck with your search.
      Auto v manual. It depends who you talk to. I have a 3.5is and love it. Others on the Forum wouldn’t touch any sort of auto. The only way you will know what suits you is to drive both.
      Yeah, I've done my homework :D someone on autotrader dreaming they have the only manual but nothing other than his advert says its an is. should be taken off :guns:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... 5is&page=1

If its a 35i what’s the thought auto or manual? No compromise with the 'is' cars as the extra horses and exclusivity makes me want the ultimate e89

Zforbes

Post by Zforbes » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:28 pm

Thanks IRD,
      Never had an auto so new territory, fancy trying it but would have to be the is model.

From all the wonderfall feedback im getting a lot closer to understanding what is right for me - yes I want the ultimate in the is but only if the spec is right - 13k, hmm :?

Im now thinking at upto £13k 35i nice spec and colours also manual are most likely in my budget (including the cost of the remap :evil: )

gadgetJunky72

Post by gadgetJunky72 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:01 am

Re. tuning a 35i. as it's a turbo car I'd say you'd get some pretty good gains. I'm not really into modding but I've done a stage 1 remap on a few of my cars and IMHO I don't think that level of tuning stresses the engine or gearbox much. Stage 2 is another ball game.

I would have used this on my last 35i if I hadn't have sold it: https://mhdtuning.com

This thread is making me want to buy another 35i now.