Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Afternoon all - Z4 35i owner

First port of call for new members
PixelPeepZ4

Post by PixelPeepZ4 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:39 pm

Timmyboybunter wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:34 pm Sorry, that was me being a muppet - don't need a green tick, just need a tick.

Treading carefully as I don't claim to be an expert, but that tick means you should be able to update both the Nav firmware and the maps yourself.
you are more than in credit, muppet status is miles off lol

so, do you have any links to reliable locations for firmware and maps please?
E89 35i SDrive DCT - Deep Blue Metallic / Ivory White Nappa [thread]
2017 i3 REx (94 Ah) - Black Metallic / Loft Interior

Jollyjoiner

Post by Jollyjoiner » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:28 pm

PixelPeepZ4 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:31 pm
Jollyjoiner wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:16 pm Hello and welcome.
I'm sure will have loads of fun with the 35i, mine puts a grin on my face lol.
So what mods you thinking of then ?
Thank you, and yes, smiles everytime i even just look at it.. :)

Mods..

i prefer to fly under the radar (maybe the wrong car choice then lol) where possible and i still want a car that looks respectable if i want to take the missus out.

focus for now will be getting the car back to original glory - like the few switches and buttons where some of the black plastic has started to peel, then look at the suspension.

if parts are worn i will be looking at upgrading them with decent aftermarket kit, i don't want it lowered/stanced or any of that nonsense (no offence to anyone that's into that...) but i want an everyday usable car - i call it OEM+

I've seen that the current tyres on mine are the OE (050) runflats - as soon as they're down to 2mm i'll get them swapped out for some non-RFs, will hunt on the forum for recommendations - i have 18" wheels and i don't want that to change, think the ride is reasonable and hate anything too crashy.

I'd like to update the nav with something i can at least put a full postcode into, and maybe a retrofit DAB tuner if possible.

Removing that stupid mobile phone cradle from the arm rest and have something usable there - it's not like the Z4 is brimming with storage as it is, seems strange to lose some prime real estate with a big chunky lump of plastic.

Maybe get the speakers upgraded - after quality not quantity

Maybe have the yellow halogen DRL circles replaced for whiter led style if possible.

i figure a year or so getting that lot slowly sorted... then i might be used to the power.. so a remap will be on the cards :)

I'd also like to research a remote exhaust cut out - something where i can make it really sing (when i want) and keep it 'normal' when i don't want attention.

that's the plan for now.

Of course, money, job, missus, and just life in general might have different ideas, i'll just have to play it one mod at a time :)
Yeah getting shot of the runflats is a good idea, makes the car feel better.
I put mine on a set of eibach pro springs and the car feel nice, still firm but not shake ya teeth firm.

Here's mine on 19's and eibachs, just subtle changes I think, oh and a stage 1 map
Z4 new wheels.jpg
Z4 new wheels.jpg (179.58 KiB) Viewed 1023 times
2009 35i DCT silver
SLT mapped to 365bhp :)

Huzee4

Post by Huzee4 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:01 pm

Every time I see your Zed Jollyjoiner I want to wrap my roof ..... :thumbsup:
Steve

E85 2.5 SE Maldives blue
E89 20i Estoril blue
E89 35iS Alpine White ( Current Zed )

Jollyjoiner

Post by Jollyjoiner » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:05 pm

Huzee4 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:01 pm Every time I see your Zed Jollyjoiner I want to wrap my roof ..... :thumbsup:
Hahahaha do it do it :evil:
2009 35i DCT silver
SLT mapped to 365bhp :)

Huzee4

Post by Huzee4 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:09 pm

Jollyjoiner wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:05 pm
Huzee4 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:01 pm Every time I see your Zed Jollyjoiner I want to wrap my roof ..... :thumbsup:
This is from an old post by a forum member can’t recall who sorry but it’s been in my photo library for quite a while, I’d love to do this ....
Attachments
07BD4E20-085D-4127-93B1-B65ADE30C2AD.jpeg (240.91 KiB) Viewed 1014 times
Steve

E85 2.5 SE Maldives blue
E89 20i Estoril blue
E89 35iS Alpine White ( Current Zed )

Timmyboybunter

Post by Timmyboybunter » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:30 pm

PixelPeepZ4 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:39 pm so, do you have any links to reliable locations for firmware and maps please?
It's worth a bit of general knowledge gathering.

Nav software can be downloaded from BMW, put on a USB stick and updated.

You then need a FSC code which must be input when updating maps - I bought a 'lifetime' code from Ebay for $9, which allegedly means I don't need to enter it again next update time.

Finally, you need the maps - either in CD/DVD format as Silverstar suggested, or again stuck on a USB drive (which must be formatted in a certain way, and the files present in the correct foldet structure). I grabbed a copy off the ever helpful internet, but the formal answer is you need to pay for it. Not hard to find though.
2012 VW Passat 1.4 Tsi Estate
2005 Mercedes CLK 55 AMG
2015 E89 BMW Z4 sDrive35iS (sold)
2010 E89 BMW Z4 sDrive30i (sold)
2003 E85 BMW Z4 3.0 (sold)

PixelPeepZ4

Post by PixelPeepZ4 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:23 am

Timmyboybunter wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:30 pm It's worth a bit of general knowledge gathering.

Nav software can be downloaded from BMW, put on a USB stick and updated.

You then need a FSC code which must be input when updating maps - I bought a 'lifetime' code from Ebay for $9, which allegedly means I don't need to enter it again next update time.

Finally, you need the maps - either in CD/DVD format as Silverstar suggested, or again stuck on a USB drive (which must be formatted in a certain way, and the files present in the correct foldet structure). I grabbed a copy off the ever helpful internet, but the formal answer is you need to pay for it. Not hard to find though.
Yeh, sorry, i wasn't very clear with that - i don't mind paying, i don't expect or even want it free :)

so to make sure i understand..

I have a CIC unit ?
as i have the word premium in my existing map code i can only get maps that are premium?
Firmware (like the OS) from BMW only ? any idea on links / cost please?
MAPS from anywhere really but will need an FSC code which can be bought from ebay - ?

i think i only need detailed help on the firmware stage - sorry for all the silly questions :/ just want to make sure i'm not being conned by paying for something thats a scam/not compatible. thank you for all your help so far!

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:32 am

Jollyjoiner wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:05 pm
Me too as mine is silver so seeing yours I know exactly what it’ll look like :rofl:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Zed Baron

Post by Zed Baron » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:16 pm

Hi on your sat nav screen, bottom left corner (from memory) you will see a circle with an i, if it has a tick through it then you can update the software through the usb drive in the glove box. The latest update requires a 64gb pen drive and takes about 15/20 minutes to upload. I took the car for a drive so I didn't drain the battery, once loaded it will ask for the FSC code. The first time I did it, I upgraded from 2009 to 2017 - no problem.

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:28 pm

I got my updated maps and lifetime FSC code from here:

https://www.satnavishop.co.uk/2020-2-bm ... -656-p.asp

They sent me 3 CDs by post and the FSC code by email.
    2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

PixelPeepZ4

Post by PixelPeepZ4 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:56 pm

Silverstar wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:28 pm I got my updated maps and lifetime FSC code from here:

thats really helpful, thank you! - 2 questions..

are the CDs for the head unit or are you expected to copy them onto a USB
    if the CDs are for the head unit, does it automatically recognise they are updates and auto install or is there a special / hidden menu to start the process ?

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:35 pm

PixelPeepZ4 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:56 pm
    Silverstar wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:28 pm I got my updated maps and lifetime FSC code from here:

thats really helpful, thank you! - 2 questions..

are the CDs for the head unit or are you expected to copy them onto a USB
    if the CDs are for the head unit, does it automatically recognise they are updates and auto install or is there a special / hidden menu to start the process ?
    They are for the head unit, just insert and it starts the download. At some point it will ask for the FSC code, when it does enter it. I think doing it via the CD way is a bit slower than perhaps the USB stick or some other way but it works and is easy enough. I have the tick symbol in my navigation screen but the online shop recommended the CD route for whatever reason. Also the CDs that came were genuine BMW ones.
    2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

PixelPeepZ4

Post by PixelPeepZ4 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:43 pm

Silverstar wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:35 pm They are for the head unit, just insert and it starts the download. At some point it will ask for the FSC code, when it does enter it. I think doing it via the CD way is a bit slower than perhaps the USB stick or some other way but it works and is easy enough. I have the tick symbol in my navigation screen but the online shop recommended the CD route for whatever reason. Also the CDs that came were genuine BMW ones.
    you are a superstar, thank you - going to order these this afternoon :)

PixelPeepZ4

Post by PixelPeepZ4 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:34 pm

New nav postal update ordered... wish me luck :)

PixelPeepZ4

Post by PixelPeepZ4 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:22 am

Update on the nav upgrade, and a massive thank you to all that gave advice.

CIC unit with the little tick in the bottom left of the map - this means i can upgrade maps on my own without the need for the stealership (result!)
    Ordered a USB stick and activation code from here for £39.99.

Arrived 2 days later on a 32gb thumb drive. Frustratingly, no activation code inside. i wondered if the code was included inside the loader config so, optimistically, i went out to the car once i'd got home.

17:40 - sit in car, full of hope and promise, insert USB stick in glovebox socket...

CIC recognises the update! - do i want to proceed? HELL YEHHHHH!!!

CIC: "please enter your activation code"

me: "sob..."

I send a frustrated email to the supplier, knowing that they've probably all gone home for the evening/not checking work emails.

i get a reply back within 8 minutes, RESULT!! - here we go ... new maps baby!!

reply: "We will send your code through later"

me: "what is later?! - its already 18:30 by now and i'm getting frustrated, why didn't they just send the damn code with the stick?! - i reply and ask them that very question.

i get another reply,"some people get the wrong map file and we have to be sure their unit recognises it before we generate the FSC code as this can't be refunded"

grrrrr. fair enough.

I sit in the car on the driveway like a chump for the next 30 minutes waiting for my code. Nothing. I go indoors, with the right hump. Other half called me a spoilt brat, "just got that car you really wanted and now you're sulking because you don't have up to date maps?!" - she had a point.

I then make a statement... "I don't care what time it is, if i still have clothes on when that activation code comes through, i'm going out to the car and doing it!"

She rolls her eyes at me.

Anyway... 22:10 and the code arrives in my inbox!!

RIGHHHHTTTT, off to the car, bye!

all is good, it picks up the update, accepts the code and off we go..

One slight snag.. it was taking on average 30secs per 1% update - i calculated total time would be 50 minutes ish - far too long to be sitting there with the ignition on and no engine running.

Our neighbours have two small children and our driveway runs down the side of the house, it's kind of enclosed so it wouldn't be cool for me to just sit there with the engine idling for that time, not to mention no good for the car.

So, i let it get to 40% and then i went for a (very) slow drive.

Coming up to 98% i pulled into the local M&S/BP near me and waited patiently for the completion.

To show my dedication to the cause, please note the time in the top right of the display

I know it's just a nav update, but in these odd times, i was really looking forward to my first mod/fix on the new car.

Sorry for rambling lol :)