Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Loud noise as roof unlatches from top of screen

First port of call for new members
E89MX63

Post by E89MX63 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:33 am

Hello, have noticed a loud clunking/banging noise occurs when roof unlatches during opening on my 2013 E89. Noise seems to be coming from area where the front lip of the roof meets the top of the windscreen on driver's side where the latches are located. Hard to say if it has always been there since purchase last June, or if it is getting worse. Hopefully someone might be able to advise if this is normal, and if not, how to cure/maintain. Many thanks!

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:29 am

It’s probably just the latches unlocking, try spraying some white grease on them
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

E89MX63

Post by E89MX63 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:44 pm

Thanks Chippie - I try that and post if that cures the problem.

E89MX63

Post by E89MX63 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:09 pm

Just to advise as promised, I bought some WD40 White Lithium Grease spray and applied very carefully to latch pin assemblies. I have a feeling that the noise was being caused by the driver's side conical roof pin end being withdrawn from the corresponding part at top of windscreen. Applying the grease seems to have cured the problem, so many thanks for the advice which is very much appreciated.

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:49 pm

E89MX63 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:09 pm Just to advise as promised, I bought some WD40 White Lithium Grease spray and applied very carefully to latch pin assemblies. I have a feeling that the noise was being caused by the driver's side conical roof pin end being withdrawn from the corresponding part at top of windscreen. Applying the grease seems to have cured the problem, so many thanks for the advice which is very much appreciated.
Splendid! :thumbsup:

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:56 pm

Thanks for reporting back with getting it sorted 👍
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather