Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Newbie with E89 power steering problems

First port of call for new members
Gilbster

Post by Gilbster » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:02 am

Hi everyone,
I have a 59 plate E89 and the power steering warning light has recently started to (intermittently) illuminate and the power steering intermittently completely stops working. It's been diagnosed with a code D516 "Message Error Terminal Status, Receiver Electronic Power Steering Transmitter CAS" and "D507 PT CAN Communication Fault".
The car had been standing unused for a couple of months and the battery had gone very but not completely flat. Could this have had an effect on the power steering unit? Or is it more likely a coincidence?
BMW have quoted approximately £2k for a new motor if it needs it but I was thinking of refurbing mine with someone like ECU testing. Apart from the fact I don't know how to find the part number on said unit, I wanted to ask if there is likely to be a more simple cause for it playing up and if there an easier fix than sending off for a refurbed unit?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:32 am

I would start by replacing the battery, have it registered to the car and clearing any fault codes, check the electrical connections on the power steering and see if the fault returns
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

Gilbster

Post by Gilbster » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:38 pm

Thanks Chippie. That sounds like a good place to start. What exactly do you mean by "have it registered to the car"?
Thanks again!
G

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:49 pm

Gilbster wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:38 pm Thanks Chippie. That sounds like a good place to start. What exactly do you mean by "have it registered to the car"?
Thanks again!
G
The e89 cars require replacement batteries to be registered to the car, it changes the charging algorithms.
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Gilbster

Post by Gilbster » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:58 pm

Thanks Smartbear. That is very much appreciated! At the risk of sounding like a complete novice (which I obviously am) how would I go about that? Sorry if I sound like an idiot. I'm very new to all things Z4 but happy to learn from those who know about these things!
Cheers,
G

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:23 pm

Gilbster wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:58 pm Thanks Smartbear. That is very much appreciated! At the risk of sounding like a complete novice (which I obviously am) how would I go about that? Sorry if I sound like an idiot. I'm very new to all things Z4 but happy to learn from those who know about these things!
Cheers,
G
Bmw will do it for you whilst emptying your wallet simultaneously, some halfords can do it or you can buy the Carly app etc which has the capability to register the battery.
If you state your location someone maybe willing to do it for you :?
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

Stuartt

Post by Stuartt » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:24 pm

If your in the AA they have the capability to register a new battery when they fit one. If not then a bmw independent should be able to. Even dare I say it at risk of getting struck down 😱 some Halfords can do it when they fit a battery but will charge you handsomely to do it.
It’s more common now as the cars with stop/start have to be.

Stuart
2004 3.0i SE Roadster , GONE to a good home :thumbsup:
2010 e89 35i Sdrive M sport. GONE for salvage :cry: but has been reborn

2014 e89 35is M-Sport Design Pure Traction 😈😈😈

Gilbster

Post by Gilbster » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:07 pm

Wow! This is fantastic advice. Thanks ever so much everyone! I'm in Waterbeach, about 6 miles north of Cambridge. The dealership nearby are quite expensive, as they are elsewhere I'm sure (although to be fair, they have been quite helpful in the past).
I just checked the battery to see if the connections are firm, which they are but there seems to an inordinate amount of condensation in the battery compartment. There's a puddle of moisture under the battery and condensation on various wires and components. Is this normal?
I'll set to and dry that all out as soon as possible. Is the power steering wiring visible in this compartment and therefore possible to check at that end as well as checking at the steering rack end?
Thanks again everyone!

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:19 pm

Gilbster wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:07 pm Wow! This is fantastic advice. Thanks ever so much everyone! I'm in Waterbeach, about 6 miles north of Cambridge. The dealership nearby are quite expensive, as they are elsewhere I'm sure (although to be fair, they have been quite helpful in the past).
I just checked the battery to see if the connections are firm, which they are but there seems to an inordinate amount of condensation in the battery compartment. There's a puddle of moisture under the battery and condensation on various wires and components. Is this normal?
I'll set to and dry that all out as soon as possible. Is the power steering wiring visible in this compartment and therefore possible to check at that end as well as checking at the steering rack end?
Thanks again everyone!
That condensation probably isn’t condensation but a leak! I’d get that fixed ASAP or you’re going to be in a world of pain.
There’s plenty on e89 leaks here if you use the search function :thumbsup:
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

Gilbster

Post by Gilbster » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:25 pm

Oh bloomin' eck! I'll check that out when I get back from work. Food for thought for the rest of the day! :(

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:30 pm

The water in the boot may be due to a leaking seal, I had to take the one off that runs around the top edge of the boot, clean it and reseal, this seams to be a common problem with the e89, I think they also leak from the rear lights, you could try a search for water in boot
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

Paul Morgan

Post by Paul Morgan » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:27 pm

Hi Gilbster,
I have the same steering problem on my 2013 z4 that you posted about a few months back. Please can you tell me if you sorted the problem and if so how? I note you are in Waterbeach, I am in Cambridge.
Paul.

Paul Morgan

Post by Paul Morgan » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:38 am

Hello, I am a Z4 owner with the same steering problem you posted about earlier in the year. I am interested to know if you were able to resolved the problem and if so how? i would be grateful for any help you an offer. Thanks

wanatkinson

Post by wanatkinson » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:44 pm

I’ve just developed this exact problem! Same error code (D516). Have to assume a new battery fixed the OP’s problem. Mine must be at least 4 years old and has given me warnings before. It happened while driving 200 miles towards Scotland though so you might expect some charge to be available. It was also a very warm day.
2011 E89 23i manual - "augmented" audio - Blue with cream leather.

Owdgit

Post by Owdgit » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:10 am

There's a few threads on here about the steering fault.
Even after replacing the battery the fault returned and I ended up removing the motor and sending it off to ecu testing.
There's instructions/details of how to do it on here.
A lot cheaper than going to bmw and a lifetime warranty on the repair.
I like to think I'm an optimist.

2010 Grey Z4 E89 N52 3.0 with stuff
2018 VW Arteon 2.0tsi daily workhorse
2020 KTM 1290 Superduke GT