Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Newbie with E89 power steering problems

First port of call for new members
Zforbes

Post by Zforbes » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:43 am

I've had this light ping up a few times over the bank holiday weekend, my battery is 10yrs old and although no issues with starting or anything I have had a few pings regarding battery drain so I've ordered a new battery for collection this aft.

The plan is - collect battery, read steering codes, fit battery, register, clear codes and see if it makes a difference.

Whilst I live in hope, I honestly expect to get the warning light again and get it refurb'd by ECUTesting
E89 sDrive 35is Titan Silver Kansas Black Leather

wanatkinson

Post by wanatkinson » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:40 am

Well, I've just replaced the battery (voltage was ok but needed charging - since I'd just driven several hundred miles and the alternator checked out, I just replaced it) and the steering problem is still there. I'll need to phone my BMW garage and see what they say. I'll mention refurb by by ecutesting but it's still going to be painful (I don't have the space, tools or inclination to do it myself...).
2011 E89 23i manual - "augmented" audio - Blue with cream leather.

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:44 pm

Here you go...problem fixed..simple..

https://www.ecutesting.com/common-fault ... ack-motor/

Owdgit

Post by Owdgit » Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:07 pm

I doubt a BMW dealer will do the refurb.
For me the turnaround was roughly a week from sending to getting the motor back, sent on Monday back in the car Friday. You could be hard pushed to find a dealer or indy that will tie up a part of their workshop for that length of time.
Not sure if you can get a refurb unit in advance and return yours for a credit afterwards?
The removal and refitting is fairly straightforward if you're confident with a bit of spannering.
Depending on where you live you may be able to find someone on here that could help, the offer of some 'refreshments' as an incentive or a donation to the forum?
I would be happy to help with instructions and the use of my tools and garage after all the advice and help I've gotten from here, I'd get you doing the work yourself so you gain experience.
I like to think I'm an optimist.

2010 Grey Z4 E89 N52 3.0 with stuff
2018 VW Arteon 2.0tsi daily workhorse
2020 KTM 1290 Superduke GT

Sllimc

Post by Sllimc » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:51 pm

Hi I have the electric steering fault and I am looking to remove the motor and send it to ecutesting. The video on removal is good but how about refitting and getting the correct belt tension. Or is it pre set due to no movement in the bolts
Craig
2011, 23i, Red with Black leather

Zforbes

Post by Zforbes » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:27 pm

Sllimc wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:51 pm Hi I have the electric steering fault and I am looking to remove the motor and send it to ecutesting. The video on removal is good but how about refitting and getting the correct belt tension. Or is it pre set due to no movement in the bolts
I think that is why they mention marking the position of the rotation when releasing tension, just wind it back to the marks :thumbsup:

Sllimc

Post by Sllimc » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:13 pm

Thanks for the comment. I have just watched the video again and you can see the tension change, may have been more obvious if the motor bolts had still been in place
Craig

Zforbes

Post by Zforbes » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:17 pm

Sllimc wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:13 pm Thanks for the comment. I have just watched the video again and you can see the tension change, may have been more obvious if the motor bolts had still been in place
:thumbsup:

Not always obvious at first sight - good luck with the removal :thumbsup:

Sllimc

Post by Sllimc » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:19 pm

Also I have been looking at the space on the sub frame can the motor be removed without removing the rack from the car.
Craig

Zforbes

Post by Zforbes » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:34 pm

Sllimc wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:19 pm Also I have been looking at the space on the sub frame can the motor be removed without removing the rack from the car.
Yes, you need to be on axle stands or lifted via jacking points somehow, doesn't have to be too high as long as you can drop the undertray and access the bolts / locking rings. Be careful though to release it far enough so it comes out without damaging the helix gear you was worried about the tension. Once up in the air allowing for movement of the wheels should be off in 20-30 mins.

Dont try on ramps though you'll need the wheels to be free :thumbsup:

Owdgit

Post by Owdgit » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:29 am

Hiya, just sent you a PM
I like to think I'm an optimist.

2010 Grey Z4 E89 N52 3.0 with stuff
2018 VW Arteon 2.0tsi daily workhorse
2020 KTM 1290 Superduke GT