Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

A quick howdy with a quick question.

First port of call for new members
Bufort

Post by Bufort » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:45 am

So, Howdy.

I'm looking for the right coupe (E86) to buy asap, and here's my question that might help me choose: Does the satnav screen that only some cars have, offer any other additional features over the cars without? I wouldn't be using it for satnav anyway (use google maps on my phone), so are there any other benefits? Im guessing that the other features in the car, such as radio and air con etc. already work without the screen, so does it just act as a screen to show you which settings you have on those, or something else more exciting that I can only dream of? (probably not).

Thanks

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:44 pm

Welcome to the forum.

E86 is a great choice too - but you could say I am biased. :roll: If it's a 3.0Si you are after mine (that doesn't have Sat Nav) is for sale in the classifieds!

But only because I bought an M Coupe last month, which does have Sat Nav but I'm only just getting to grips with it, and so far it seems that operating the radio is made more complicated with the Sat Nav than without! But if you have the top of the range Carver stereo system it gives you a graphic equaliser to play with.

It also offers a few extra functions on the OBC, like being able to re-set the average fuel consumption and average speed, and the ability to set a speed limit (that I doubt anyone has ever used). :lol:

And if the car also has Bluetooth it might have a bit more telephone functionality, although having no experience of an E86 with Bluetooth I cannot really say.

There is also a TV function, but it looks like it may not have been available in all countries and I've no idea if I have it. :oops: Even if fitted it only works when stationary anyway, but you can keep the audio while on the move.

But to be honest I would have been quite happy if my M didn't have it - I mean a 10+ year old Sat Nav is pretty obsolete, and some on here prefer the smoother look of the top of the dash without it.

Personally I wasn't bothered either way.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:53 am

Hi and welcome to the forum. :)

Don,t bother with the Sat Nav. It's hopeless and the screen will stop flipping at some point. Plus it's extra weight and spoils the line of the dash. The screen does provide an interface for the phone, but you can sort after market solutions that are far better than what BMW provided. So a no from me. :thumbsdown:

I have Sat Nav BTW. :cry:

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:26 am

You absolutely MUST have that screen... it tells you what altitude you are at. Fascinating.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Bufort

Post by Bufort » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:50 pm

ph001 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:26 am You absolutely MUST have that screen... it tells you what altitude you are at. Fascinating.
SOLD!

Bufort

Post by Bufort » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:59 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:44 pm But to be honest I would have been quite happy if my M didn't have it - I mean a 10+ year old Sat Nav is pretty obsolete, and some on here prefer the smoother look of the top of the dash without it.
Thanks. Seems like it's not really worth looking for if you're not using it for the satnav then. Yes I did see your ad, but it appears to have gone now, sell it over the weekend? It did catch my eye, but I think i'm after a grey one now.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:28 pm

Bufort wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:59 pm Thanks. Seems like it's not really worth looking for if you're not using it for the satnav then. Yes I did see your ad, but it appears to have gone now, sell it over the weekend? It did catch my eye, but I think i'm after a grey one now.
No, I haven't sold it but my advert has expired.

I'll be putting on Auto Trader and back on Gumtree soon.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Keyper

Post by Keyper » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:31 pm

buzyg wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:53 am Hi and welcome to the forum. :)

Don,t bother with the Sat Nav. It's hopeless and the screen will stop flipping at some point. Plus it's extra weight and spoils the line of the dash. The screen does provide an interface for the phone, but you can sort after market solutions that are far better than what BMW provided. So a no from me. :thumbsdown:

Rubbish :fuelfire: , I love my SatNav however he’s right about the flip issues lol :thumbsup:
2004 E85 2.5i Sterling Grey - Now Gone
2010 E89 35i Titanium Silver

Bufort

Post by Bufort » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:18 pm

Keyper wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:31 pm

Rubbish :fuelfire: , I love my SatNav however he’s right about the flip issues lol :thumbsup:
He's right about it being out of date though, plus it doesn't give you live traffic info like Google maps though, does it?

Keyper

Post by Keyper » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:52 pm

Bufort wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:18 pm
Keyper wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:31 pm

He's right about it being out of date though, plus it doesn't give you live traffic info like Google maps though, does it?
ok nothing beats Google maps for sure, however mine does have TMC and it does work, it told me a road was closed and offered an alternative route which i ignored haha and got stuck.

However it more than a SatNav, among more useful things it does also tell you how high you are from the water level, now that is important for sure :D
2004 E85 2.5i Sterling Grey - Now Gone
2010 E89 35i Titanium Silver

baconJazz

Post by baconJazz » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:58 pm

The CrapNaf really does spoil the look of the dash. Happy I don't have one . :driving:
2007 3.0si sport e86 coupe Black Sapphire 93k and rising at approx 2k a year.

Mazda mx5 mk3
Fiesta ST
Subaru WRX Blob eye
Mini Cooper S JCW
Mx5 mk1
Ford Puma.
Opel Manta GTE (1984)
Mk 1 Ford Capri 1.6 GT (1973)
Austin Maxi 1750 HL (269 BC)