Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4 [2014] Purchase Help

First port of call for new members
leckytech

Z4 [2014] Purchase Help

Post by leckytech » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:39 pm

Hi guys,

I really need your help in making a decision. I've been looking at various Z4 and think they're beautiful cars but after trawling this forum I have to admit I'm a little apprehensive taking the plunge.

Specifically are the boot gasket/seal problems still relevant on the 2014 models? This will be a car for the missus popping back and forth to Aldi mainly haha as I need to get rid of her RCZ [DPF issues]. While I understand fixing the boot seals are relatively straight forward, my concerns are that if the car has had history of leaks the corrosion may have set in to the various electronic modules, Hyd pump, connectors and harnesses. I don't have the money to be splashing out >£2000 on a repair.

I dismissed the Z4 yesterday and started looking at SLK's but I kep getting drawn back to the Z4.

What do you all think? Has the faulty boot seals etc etc been resolved on the 2014 models? I am assuming the parking brake software update will have been applied.

Many thanks for your help

LT

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Z4 [2014] Purchase Help

Post by Smartbear » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:27 pm

Hi, my 2013 lci z4 has never had any water leaks that I’m aware of and I’m not 100% on this but the ebrake issue doesn’t seem to have surfaced on any facelift cars either? I was hoping the issue had been engineered out by then?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Pbondar

Z4 [2014] Purchase Help

Post by Pbondar » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:38 pm

I don’t think there was a specific date when boot seals magically improved, the top boot seal was updated as a running change in 2013 but it’s not clear if it was an improvement as such..

Boot leaks seem anecdotally to be more with accident damage / bad refit after swapping light units etc..and not that common..

Furthermore non of the electronic bits is low on the boot save that of the roof motor which can be easily checked for moisture in 60 seconds periodically..

Any historical corrosion on the motor is obvious to see again with t0 seconds..

The E89 series seems rust resistant and generally lacks the surface rust that can affect the first generation Z4..

I think if that’s the magnitude /focus of your worries I’d humbly suggest its de minimus

If your wary on costs then avoid the 35i 35is..

23i 30i seem pretty bulletproof

18i 20i 28i have some issues with cam chains/ oil pump drive on pre 2015 versions..mostly associated with extended oil changes and excessive use of start stop..again anecdotally

Avoid the 326m wheels as they crack

Change from run flats if still fitted

That’s a short list..others will have other views ..

leckytech

Z4 [2014] Purchase Help

Post by leckytech » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:11 pm

Many thanks for the replies. After deep discussions it turns out the missus prefers the look of the SLK [Go figure]. So the Z4 is out.

Many thanks for all the fish :D

LT

scootr

Z4 [2014] Purchase Help

Post by scootr » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:23 pm

leckytech wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:11 pm Many thanks for the replies. After deep discussions it turns out the missus prefers the look of the SLK [Go figure]. So the Z4 is out.

LT
leckytech wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:11 pm Many thanks for the replies. After deep discussions it turns out the missus prefers the look of the SLK [Go figure]. So the Z4 is out.

LT
[/quote

That's it? The wife has poor taste in cars so you give up !? :poke:
E89 3.0L 6 MT gone
Michelin P4s
Bilstein struts & shocks
Luxon tower brace

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Z4 [2014] Purchase Help

Post by buzyg » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:26 pm

Welcome fleatingly, Enjoy the SLK. :)

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Z4 [2014] Purchase Help

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:05 pm

Whoosh! And there he was.................. gone! :(
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

scootr

Z4 [2014] Purchase Help

Post by scootr » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:45 pm

She will never know what she missed. I understand it though, My wife finds it hard to get in and out of the Zed...
I find it a very small price to pay :P
E89 3.0L 6 MT gone
Michelin P4s
Bilstein struts & shocks
Luxon tower brace