Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Good morning from a very frost morning up here just north of Manchester.

First port of call for new members
JohnE

Post by JohnE » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:41 am

I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself.

Just about to reach my 71st birthday and I am a confirmed petrol head with interests in almost all motor sport but particularly rallying at local, national and international levels. I am a registered marshal with Motorsport UK and I help out on events all over the country and into Europe. My most recent exploit was part of the set up team for a stage on WRGB in North Wales.

Day to day we run a BMW X3.35D Sport which is a tidily quick car for its size and has semi reasonable off road (in the forest on gravel) capabilities and it gives a decent amount of ground clearance.

We don't tend to be frivolous or impulsive however a 2009 Z4 roadster is being collected this Friday. Its done 54k miles and has the 2.5 litre engine so it will be marginally slower than the X3 but should be fun with the top down.

Once I get it I am sure that there will be a need to come on here for advice however I have already read that the BMW Bluetooth is not good in these cars and so I will probably install something else like a talking Parrot or an integrated Garmin with sat nav and Bluetooth.

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:45 am

Morning and welcome :thumbsup:
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
My wife says I never listen - or something like that.
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

clarker63

Post by clarker63 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:04 am

JohnE wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:41 am We don't tend to be frivolous or impulsive however a 2009 Z4 roadster is being collected this Friday. Its done 54k miles and has the 2.5 litre engine so it will be marginally slower than the X3 but should be fun with the top down.
Welcome..

I would expect your Z4 to be quicker in the corners though! We look forward to the pictures!
35is, sadly gone, but not forgotten.

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:48 pm

Hi and welcome along to the forum, I’m sure the Zed will be a lot more fun to drive 👍
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:37 pm

Hi and welcome. :thumbsup:

Did anyone mention photos yet? :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

JohnE

Post by JohnE » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:00 am

8a83123e7d994c698d9989e1d0ea1c20.jpg
8a83123e7d994c698d9989e1d0ea1c20.jpg (142.72 KiB) Viewed 1190 times

Crazy Harry

Post by Crazy Harry » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:08 am

Oah - a 'previous' photo well done. Counting the sleeps to Friday then?

JohnE

Post by JohnE » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:34 am

Yes. I have been reading up on stuff such as Bluetooth etc so once I get it I can decide what bits it needs. I dont really want to spend all of my time doing stuff because with the onset of winter it takes me nearly all morning to warm up and get moving so hopefully it will be a sort of plug and play.
First trip planned is to the Christmas markets in Bath around the 9th December so unless it snows we will amble our way south :rofl:

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:55 pm

Welcome on board JohnE. Not long now. It may be slower, but get the roof down and it won't feel slower. :driving: :thumbsup:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:07 pm

Looks like a good 'un. Very nice.
Maybe it's just me, but I do think the pre-LCI ones suit debadging more than the later ones. Something around the plainer side indicators that works well on those.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:55 pm

Looking good - and I really like those wheels. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:10 pm

Looks great that :driving: welcome to the forum also from just north of Manchester :oops:
Where are you based John ?
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

JohnE

Post by JohnE » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:53 pm

Hi. I am in Bury, prefer not to say Greater Manchester so lets stick with Lancashire. I know very little about these cars to be honest even though I have run BMW's for over 40 years so I am intrigued when enuff_zed chats about pre LCI and stuff. No idea what this means to be honest but the car looked nice and I didn't even notice initially that it had been de-badged.
I have looked up the VIN spec and its fairly basic but the wheels are mentioned but I have no idea what style they are. All of my other BMW's have been company cars and they came with whatever they came with. My X3 is however a lovely car, goes like seven bells and is so comfortable to drive. hopefully this new addition will put a smile on my face but for different reasons :rofl:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:57 pm

JohnE wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:53 pm Hi. I am in Bury, prefer not to say Greater Manchester so lets stick with Lancashire. I know very little about these cars to be honest even though I have run BMW's for over 40 years so I am intrigued when enuff_zed chats about pre LCI and stuff. No idea what this means to be honest but the car looked nice and I didn't even notice initially that it had been de-badged.
I have looked up the VIN spec and its fairly basic but the wheels are mentioned but I have no idea what style they are. All of my other BMW's have been company cars and they came with whatever they came with. My X3 is however a lovely car, goes like seven bells and is so comfortable to drive. hopefully this new addition will put a smile on my face but for different reasons :rofl:
The later E89s had a couple of subtle changes as a mid-life update. The most noticeable one is the side indicators, which were given a swooping chrome trim. Not got any photos available to me at work, but i'm sure you'll soon see one.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup: