Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Just joined

First port of call for new members
NSM

Just joined

Post by NSM » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:48 pm

Hi
I came across the Z4-F when searching for information on my newly acquired Z4 Coupe and have to thank you all for the information held here that pretty much covers the problems and ideas I have for the car going forward.

I bought a 2008 E86 3.0si in Monaco blue with Champagne interior and piano black dash with 100k miles. When I bought it I realised that I would have to spend a few ££'s on some essential repairs and like all things I will probably end up spending too much but I will do so in the knowledge that it will be right for me in my period of ownership and be safe if I decide to sell at some stage.

First job was to de-badge as I do with any car - its the only time that I get to use a hairdryer!

The car as I bought it was bog standard apart from H&R lowering springs (part number 29269) which were totally useless for where I live and I spent the first weeks of ownership digging out the 'crown' of my drive - unmade footpath, just to avoid beaching the car. I knew I would have to raise the suspension so decided upon ST springs 28220272 which lower by 20mm and 10mm front and rear from standard height which would be a whole lot more clearance for me than the H&R. This is when I first became aware of the problems of parts supply - many emails and phone calls to suppliers all quoting silly time lead time so I rang KW Auto (ST manufacturers) in Germany to be told that they could get them to me in 3 days max - it turned out that their computer system was not showing any stock when they had some on the shelf.

I bought a pair of fog light cover plates so they could be changed when the suspension was being fixed - fortunately the paint work at the front of the car is in need of TLC so my pathetic attempts at spraying do not look so out of place.

When the suspension work was being undertaken it was clear that the front dampers where scrap so the obvious answer was Bilsteins - more aggro with part supply and an ever concerned garage that one of their ramps was becoming a permanent display of BMWness meant a decision was made to go with Sachs only for a hub locating bolt to shear and BMW then contributed to the delays by sending out 3 different replacement bolts - day after day of course.

The day after collecting the car back from the workshop it went in for wheel refurb when it was discovered that one had a slight buckle and one needed a small weld - both inner rather than outer which would have been easy. I also replaced the rear tyres at the same time.

I have the car back today so might actually drive the thing properly shortly.

Plans for the near future:
New discs - the fronts have been replaced but the rears are poor so I shall probably go down the route of grooved and dimpled all round - I know it is not necessary and all the arguments for and against but I like them.
Suspension set up - Once the new discs/pads are on.
Back box replacement - The car feels as if it needs to 'breathe' a little easier and I want more sound. I am pro

Longer term if I keep the car I will consider a respray as it does show its years.

Again, thanks for all the info already on the site.
Attachments
IMG_20190920_143737.jpg
IMG_20190920_143737.jpg (344.75 KiB) Viewed 915 times
IMG_20190920_143429.jpg
IMG_20190920_143429.jpg (404.5 KiB) Viewed 915 times

Vijay

Just joined

Post by Vijay » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:59 pm

Hi and welcome; lovely looking coupe u have there!
What finish did u go for on the alloys?...
2007 Z4 3.0Si Coupe, Carbon Black, 53K on clock & counting...
Mineral White M240i

NSM

Just joined

Post by NSM » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:17 pm

Hi
It is the silver that Range Rover use - it might be called silver llight, the pictures do not show how good they are, much better than the 'flat' BMW standard colour. My wife has just returned and wants hers done but I have suggested a wash could improve it ....
I did toil about new alloys but I am happy with the results of the refurb.

Vijay

Just joined

Post by Vijay » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:19 pm

They look like a chrome type finish, v nice!
2007 Z4 3.0Si Coupe, Carbon Black, 53K on clock & counting...
Mineral White M240i

Dave 2 dogs

Just joined

Post by Dave 2 dogs » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:14 pm

Hi and welcome,
Lovely coupe :thumbsup:
Hope it brings you lots of smiles :driving:

NSM

Just joined

Post by NSM » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:19 pm

Thanks.
My son had asked if I had already sold it as it has been in the workshop more than at home but it will be out and about over the w/end so I am sure the smiles will be there :D :D

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Just joined

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:14 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum and the exclusive Coupe Club! :thumbsup:

It sounds like you've been rather busy - good luck getting some miles on it over the weekend. :driving:

I'd be very surprised if you didn't come home smiling!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

NSM

Just joined

Post by NSM » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:59 pm

Hi and Thanks
I am a little intrigued to see what it does truly feel like when driving properly. I bought it unseen and did not test drive it - crazy crazy but I do (or did) know that things can be put right. When first driven it was possibly the worst car that I have driven with the exemption of the Bullnose Morris's in the family but for a modernish sports car, rubbish, due to the suspension failure/setup. Just driving 8 miles today from the wheel refurbers the difference is immense. It may be something I have to work on a little more and I have to consider the B and C roads around where I live.
I quite liked it when it was rubbish (!) so I am sure with a little fettling it will feel proper.
Since I decided to buy one some months ago I have only seen one other locally and that was possibly the greater draw.
Love looking at it, possibly more than my old Chimera but not as much as my 993.
Last thought - When I drove it home over 100 miles I returned 38.1 mpg I am hoping to get this into the more reasonable 20's which will still be better than 4mpg for the 600SL on my last LeMan trip - oh happy days ....

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Just joined

Post by buzyg » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:30 pm

Welcome to the forum. Great intro post. Real hair dressers drive Roadsters though. :wink:

Now stop tinkering and go drive. :driving: :thumbsup:

Chippie

Just joined

Post by Chippie » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:59 pm

Lovely looking car, welcome to the forum and enjoy the weekend
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Just joined

Post by firebobby » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:47 pm

Welcome to the forum :)
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

bz4kev

Just joined

Post by bz4kev » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:50 am

Looks great welcome :thumbsup: :driving:
2004 z4 30i auto Toledo blue stubby Areo front back sideskirts and rear spoiler M/// MFSW DLV exhaust mod mma tips vanos overhaul 108s refurbed ram air scoop E46 M3 heated seats clear rear lights M/// sport black grills

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Just joined

Post by paddy wright » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:39 am

Welcome along
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!