Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Prospective new owner

First port of call for new members
trigden

Prospective new owner

Post by trigden » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:42 pm

Hi all,

Been a reader of this forum for several months but never thought to register until now.

I’ve been considering a 2 seater ‘sports car’ for sometime and narrowed down the list to a Cayman, Boxster or Z4. The servicing costs and potential for bore scoring or IMS failure has deterred me from picking up a budget Porsche and after owning an E46 325ci for a few years, the Z4 is the logical choice.

I think my must haves are;
- 3.0i or 3.0si
- Manual
- Heated seats
- Comprehensive service history
- Not a complete shed

And beyond that I’m pretty flexible. Is there anything else that you’d all suggest adding to that? I should say that this car will be my daily driver but my commute isn’t that long so running costs/fuel etc aren’t too much of a concern.

Cheers

wonkydonkey

Prospective new owner

Post by wonkydonkey » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:25 pm

Welcome :thumbsup: The Porsches had too many unnerving engine issues for my liking too. It'll be hard to find many opinions on here other than "the Z4 is a good choice", but that's just because it is! For £5,000, give or take £1,000 or so, the 3.0 Z4s tick a LOT of boxes. You'll find lots of useful info on the forum, as you'll know if you've been lurking for a while already :wink: Broken rear springs, sticky steering, drowned roof motors and worn suspension bushes are some of the usual culprits. Service history is important as it is with any car, and the electric water pumps on Si cars have a lifespan that needs considering, though this needn't put you off owning one.
Previous:
~2006 Z4MR in Silver Grey
~2003 3.0i E85 in Sterling Grey

Click here for the Sticky Steering thread
<My name is James>

Roberltd2

Prospective new owner

Post by Roberltd2 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:27 pm

Hi Trigden,
I bought a 57 plate 2.5si 18 months ago and I have used it as my daily drive since then (24 mile commute both ways).
Love it to bits, absolutely no regrets.
Go for it
Robert.
2007 E85 2.5 si Sport in Montego Blue
1994 Eunos J2Ltd - now sold
1963 Triumph Thunderbird.

trigden

Prospective new owner

Post by trigden » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:34 pm

Thanks for the insight and list of things to look out for.

Is the general consensus that the power of the 3.0i is adequate for road use? Not read much on the gearing but assume it’s up into triple digits at the top of 3rd gear? Is the 3.0si worth the uplift in price?

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Prospective new owner

Post by buzyg » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:37 pm

Welcome to the board. Solid reliable fun for 5-6k. Enjoy the hunt? :)

wonkydonkey

Prospective new owner

Post by wonkydonkey » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:19 pm

trigden wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:34 pm Thanks for the insight and list of things to look out for.

Is the general consensus that the power of the 3.0i is adequate for road use? Not read much on the gearing but assume it’s up into triple digits at the top of 3rd gear? Is the 3.0si worth the uplift in price?
Power is a highly subjective thing :) I've seen some say that no road in the UK is long enough or safe enough to allow a responsible driver to experience 100% throttle in a car with the power:weight ratio of the 3.0i Z4. I disagree with that sentiment, but at the same time, 230 bhp pulling 1.4 tonnes isn't going to embarrass an Aventador. Third gear is a really handy gear and will nudge you just beyond 100 mph.

I have driven the Si but not enthusiastically so I can't comment. I think they hold onto their torque higher up the range, giving them that elevated power figure. You pay a bit of a premium for that, at the same time arguably losing a smidge of the M54's reliability and also losing the dipstick. Best thing to do would be to try one of each, I'd say.
Previous:
~2006 Z4MR in Silver Grey
~2003 3.0i E85 in Sterling Grey

Click here for the Sticky Steering thread
<My name is James>

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Prospective new owner

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:04 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

I think BMW quoted 0-62 mph at 5.9 seconds for the 3.0i and 5.7 seconds for the 3.0Si, so there isn't much in it performance-wise!

I've only experienced the M54 engine as a 2.5 in an E46 325ti, but I prefer how the later N52 engine is so eager to chase the 7,000 rpm red-line! So I've currently got my 3rd and 4th N52 engined cars. :lol:

But as has already been said it's probably worth trying to test both and see what suits you better.

FWIW Bi-Xenon headlights are a desirable option, and M-Sport seats are very sought after but were an option on the 3.0i models whereas a 3.0Si Sport had them as standard.

Happy hunting. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

dcgrooveride

Prospective new owner

Post by dcgrooveride » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:51 pm

:thumbsup: