Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4 Coupe with high miles?

First port of call for new members
tattooedally

Post by tattooedally » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:30 am

Hello folks,

I'm new here, have always loved the Z4 Coupe's and now in the market to buy my own, I was hoping you folks could help me out in terms of what to look out for when buying Coupe with high miles.

The one I am looking at has is a 2007 and has 151,000 on it, nothing in terms of service history. Just wondered what I should be looking out for, things to ask etc?

Any help would be appreciated! :)

Cheers,
Al

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jamie_z4 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:15 pm

My old z4 coupe is up for sale its done 174k miles and honestly drives better than the other 9 z4s I've owned. It'd a stratus grey one on ebay at £4900,there is about 15 grands worth of repceits in the book pack for various items.
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.

Haggisman

Post by Haggisman » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:52 pm

tattooedally wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:30 am Hello folks,

I'm new here, have always loved the Z4 Coupe's and now in the market to buy my own, I was hoping you folks could help me out in terms of what to look out for when buying Coupe with high miles.

The one I am looking at has is a 2007 and has 151,000 on it, nothing in terms of service history. Just wondered what I should be looking out for, things to ask etc?

Any help would be appreciated! :)

Cheers,
Al
High mileage and no service history needs to be reflected in price plus be prepared to change all fluids, spark plugs and ignition coils for starters so keep some money for that and other wear and tear items.. Might be better spending a bit more to get one with service history / receipts for work done.
Coupes look great, can’t help with prices as I am a forum member in NZ. Good hunting
2003 Toledo Blue 3.0 E85 Manual
2008 Volvo V50 - Dog Car
2020 Kia Sportage GT - Her Indoor’s Car
1995 Dakar Yellow M3 E36 Race Car - Sold
2009 Vauxhall Astra VXR - Sold
2003 350Z well modded - Sold
1992 911 RS - Sold and still in mourning

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:38 pm

Welcome to the forum from a Coupe owner. :thumbsup:

When you say nothing in terms of history do you mean not even a service book? If it was ever serviced at a BMW dealer and you can find out which one(s) a quick phone call should allow you to find out what was done and when.

But I wouldn't be put off by that mileage at the right price - I had an E91 325i with the same engine that had done 139K and it ran really well.

It's worth checking the MOT History as that may give you a few pointers for things to look at.

Any Z4 of that age is likely to have corroded rear brake pipes - there is a cover where they pass under the floor roughly under the passenger seat, and the end of the cover tends to trap road debris which holds moisture.

They have an electric water pump and OEM replacements cost over £200 for the part (Pierburg is the brand you want) so it's worth asking if it has been replaced. If not, budget for one just in case. My 1st Coupe needed one at 60K miles, and my E91 needed one at 135K - probably it's second!

And it's worth checking the tailgate for corrosion. When it is open check around the edges.

Otherwise it's pretty much the same things you would check on any other car of that age and mileage.

But you can't see what the oil looks like by pulling the dipstick because BMW decided not to fit one. :headbang: You check the oil level by pressing a button on the dash.

Good luck, and don't forget we like to see photos. :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jamie_z4 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:43 pm

for any one interested, my old Z4 coupe - now owned by my mates mrs, she realised with 2 kids under 6 it isnt ideal

:rofl:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Z4-Coupe ... SwLVNdIP0Q
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.