Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Help! New Zed Front Tyres Stuck!

First port of call for new members
JimInBucksPA

Post by JimInBucksPA » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:04 pm

Well, after digging up an old Bimmer Tyre Iron and a scissors jack. I first went around broke all the lug nuts and then hand tighted them.
Well the back tyres were just replaced so no problems. The front tyres took a breaker bar and 17mm harden socket. The chinese junk socket broke. Then the lug lock key got stuck on the lugs. Just put on a reg lug bolt for now.
Finally, I jacked up the front tire to take it off. All five lugs came off, but the tyre and rim would not. I have encountered this before on
an old Jag before, Not fun!
The two different metals bond together over time, a long time.
Tried to pry off using the brake caliber housing, but not too hard. Didn't want to screw anything up.
Also tried to use my floor jack to raise up car and drop to ground, with scissors jack removed.
That didn't work, and now the floor jack was stuck under car.
At least the scissors jack was still able the lift the car.
Put lugs back in and stopped to think about this issue. And Have a Beer!
Any secrets anyone know, other then a BIGGER Hammer!

Capt Jim

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:09 pm

Loosen the lugs and move the car forward/backwards a few yards - this should release the recalcitrant wheel.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:46 pm

I had the same problem with my wheels when I first bought my Z4. A firm kick to the rear of the wheel did the job.

Copper grease will prevent this in future :thumbsup:
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:54 pm

I use a rubber hammer and aim at the back of the tyre. If I miss the rubber doesn't hurt the rim.

Another method is to give it a good hard drive with some serious braking, then jack it up straight away and try it. The heat can help, but it does tend to leave you with a little less skin on your fingers if you're not careful :)
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:17 pm

I was expecting this to be an issue when I swapped the wheels on my Z4. But thankfully bashing the tyre a few times at different points with the heel of my hand did the trick.

The only time I had a car where the wheels just wouldn't move I used the rubber mallet on the back of the tyres - I found it helped to move the wheel a quarter turn between each whack!

Good luck. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

warmasice

Post by warmasice » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:36 pm

mmm-five wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:09 pm Loosen the lugs and move the car forward/backwards a few yards - this should release the recalcitrant wheel.
This always works a treat.

JimInBucksPA

Post by JimInBucksPA » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:38 pm

Thanks, did the loosen lugs and move back and forth in driveway. then went for inspection where my mechanic got then off with a big hanmer! :rofl: