Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

healights stopped dipping

First port of call for new members
06rob

Post by 06rob » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:10 pm

When I turn on headlights , they do that little up/down, or down/up movement. They stopped working, but all lights still functional. Anyone help with whats going on?. 2006 z4 3.0i, with hid lamps. Thanks

propaintballa

Post by propaintballa » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:57 pm

Assuming you mean the auto-levelling has stopped working? It seems pretty common for one of the motors that serve this purpose to fail (naturally there is one in each headlight). If both have suddenly stopped working, there is a higher probability that the level sensor located on the front right control arm has either stopped working or has an issue with the connection rod. Read up on where the sensor is and eyeball it. It should be pretty obvious as to whether the connecting rod has broken.

This article should help: https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticl ... cement.htm

06rob

Post by 06rob » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:37 pm

No, its not the auto leveling on the control arm. I'm talking about the little movement the headlamp makes when you turn them on. You hear the sound too. These are HID bi-xenon

propaintballa

Post by propaintballa » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:13 pm

06rob wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:37 pm o leveling on the control arm. I'm talking about the little movement the headlamp makes when you turn them on. You hear the sound too. These are HID bi-xenon
The sweep they do when you turn them on is a function of the auto levelling which is present on Xenon headlights. You didn't mention that you could hear the sound... If the sound you hear is indeed the levelling motors in the lights, you must have terrible luck and part of the mechanism on both lights has failed which will require you to take the lights apart.

If I were you, I'd check the levelling sensor, as mentioned prior and manipulate it manually. In doing so, the lights should go up and down. If they don't go up and down or make a noise, there is a problem with the sensor/wiring/both headlight levelling motors. You'd need to test this using the method in the post I linked. If they don't go up and down but there is an obvious noise from the headlights, the problem is in the headlights. You may find before doing this that the sensor arm is disconnected or broken, which is more common for this problem.

If you're wondering what my experience is of this, I used to have a Z4C with one failed headlight levelling motor.