Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Another West Berkshire Newbie

First port of call for new members
acm

Post by acm » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:02 pm

Hi,

After almost 3 months lurking and reading all I can on the topic of 'Z4 Ownership' I guess it's time to introduce myself to the community.

Just before Easter I spotted a 2009 SDrive 35i, DCT, Space Grey metallic, advertised and after looking at and test driving it I decided to take the plunge (with wife's permission of course) so placed the deposit for collection the weekend after Easter.

It's not been loved - before I visited the dealer he was open with me and said bodywork is 'ok' but the interior 'lets it down'. Well, with not the time to commit to build my (second) kit car, I wanted a project car to keep me occupied for the winter months, but in the meantime enjoy it throughout the summer before getting down to things.

Some early remediation was needed - new battery, sidelights (I'll get to that in a mo'), there had been a hydraulic leak in boot so the padding around the roof opening/closing pump and the underside of the pump/battery compartment floor cover was full of oil. Been slowly getting the oil out of the floor cover - still not there, but I expected multiple attempts to degrease it. At least the compartment won't suffer from corrosion :D

List of to-dos is building up lights, wheels, brake calipers, interior (previous owner must have had long fingernails and lots of jewelry), but first thing is to get it into the paintshop the week after next to sort most the scrapes from the bodywork, a lot has buffed out, but some are too deep, rehang the front bumper and fix the headlight washers... problem yet to be determined.

One of the side repeaters had been loose and easy to pop out so I looked at replacing (maybe with the LCI chrome ones) but after a few minutes looking I found that for some reason the side emblem identifying the model is in between the BMW roundel and the side repeater.

Every other Z4 I've looked at (that hasn't been debadged) has it below the BMW roundel. Does anyone else have this configuration?
Offside Badge.jpg
Offside Badge.jpg (182.22 KiB) Viewed 1320 times
It's prevented me from getting the LCI side repeaters since it's likely to look a bit odd with the chrome 'stripe' underneath the model type.

Anyway, another grinning Z4 owner...

Cheers!
Andy

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:09 pm

Welcome to the forum. A little tlc and elbow grease and you should have yourself a cracker. :)

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:37 pm

Hi and welcome from an East Berkshire member. :thumbsup:

Hopefully it won't be too involved getting it back up to scratch, but at least you can enjoy it through the summer. :driving:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Lazza

Post by Lazza » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:09 pm

I have exactly the same model, year & colour in Wokingham. My model badges are below the rounded. I’ve never seen them where yours are Could it have been de-badged & re-badged or maybe have had a front-end shunt?
Z4 S-Drive 35i
Audi TT S-line
Mazda MX5 Mk2.5 (for sale)
Wokingham Berkshire

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:38 pm

Welcome to the forum, why not get your name down for Zedfest
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

Thrustyjust

Post by Thrustyjust » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:42 pm

Welcome from another West Berkshire owner :thumbsup:
E86 In sapphire black

gerryp

Post by gerryp » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:04 pm

Hi and welcome.

acm

Post by acm » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:37 am

Thanks all,

There has been at least one bump in the past, there is a sticker naming the bodyshop. What we were wondering is perhaps it wasn't badged originally and they were added at a later date, perhaps when the body repair was done.

At least they are genuine BMW badges, unlike the ///M bade that was put on the boot which had lost two of the coloured stripes - removing that eyesore was first job :D

Thrusty - think I saw yours a couple of weeks ago approaching the roundabout leaving Thatcham towards Reading just as I was going in the opposite dirdction to get home.

Lazza maybe I should swing by to see what mine should look like. I'm regularly at the office in Amen Corner.

You're a welcoming bunch of people, looking forward to talking to you all :driving:

Cheers!
Andy

Lazza

Post by Lazza » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:58 am

No problem Andy. I live in Wokingham but work in Kingsclere.
We also attend a monthly meet at Pinewood in Crowthorne if that helps...
https://www.facebook.com/events/465582914270966?sfns=mo
(It’s an MX5 meet but we also have Z4, TT, Mini and others attending at times.
Z4 S-Drive 35i
Audi TT S-line
Mazda MX5 Mk2.5 (for sale)
Wokingham Berkshire

Worcester_spoon

Post by Worcester_spoon » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:35 pm

Welcome :driving:
03 Z4R 3.0i/Silver/custom quad/330d brake upgrade/LSD/G-Power supercharger/FIC 365cc injectors/Severn Tuning map

clarker63

Post by clarker63 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:37 pm

Welcome! I'm surprised the picture police haven't been around yet! :rofl:
35is, sadly gone, but not forgotten.

Thrustyjust

Post by Thrustyjust » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:58 pm

acm wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:37 am

Thrusty - think I saw yours a couple of weeks ago approaching the roundabout leaving Thatcham towards Reading just as I was going in the opposite dirdction to get home.

Any excuse for a drive is good :driving: . We have a few locals now and another new one tonight, so perhaps a meet up for a drink and chat at a drinking hole one evening, is on the cards. :thumbsup:
E86 In sapphire black

acm

Post by acm » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:37 pm

Sounds like a plan... give me a few days to get mine back from paint/body shop where some of the previous owner's marks that were left behind are being sorted.

Thought clarker63 had dobbed me in to the picture police - Blue Thunder circled round a couple of times yesterday, then again today when I got back from the office. Good timing to get mine in the paint/body shop then :D

I'm missing tinkering... want to get halo rings done next 8) then move on to the CC and flappy paddle upgrade... but need work to slow down a bit, it's interfering with the fun.

Cheers!
Andy

acm

Post by acm » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:29 pm

Still lovin' it - yesterday popped out with missus for to buy some tealights from the local garden centre and ended up cruisin' 70-ish miles from Newbury -> Shefford -> Hungerford -> Tidmarsh -> past Thruxton then back to Newbury... some great lanes along that route :wink:

Cheers!
Andy

acm

Post by acm » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:53 am

Every day is something new... last night while parked I noticed that the display for the PDC showed the plan view of the car with the roof off... just like the following picture

I know I'm too old to die young, so memories are getting more vague by the day, but I don't recall it showing the view with the roof off. I am now wondering if the image is dependent upon the position of the roof, which is a worry because the roof was up and when I opened and closed it again the image didn't change.

Can anyone with PDC let me know and put me out of my misery, or put me down :D

Cheers!
Andy