Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

fLASHING RED LIGHT ON HOOD SWITCHES

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Robert63

Post by Robert63 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:48 pm

Hi many thanks for all the advice I really appreciate it. got up this morning jumped in the car and guess what the red light has stopped flashing :D :D I thought "yes" lets go for a spin with the top down, by the time I called the Missus and decided to get going . Guess what the dreaded light was back again :x :x :x. So no spin in this beautiful weather. The battery idea is a good shout actually, I did consider it today but was unsure if the radio is coded or not, so for fear of making a bad situation worse . I decided against it. Regarding inspecting the wiring I am unable drop the hood because of this blasted light .

Robert63

Post by Robert63 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:42 pm

I have disconnected the battery but the red light still persists, what about putting a code reader on it would that give me a clue ????

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:17 pm

Robert63 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:42 pm I have disconnected the battery but the red light still persists, what about putting a code reader on it would that give me a clue ????
To be honest if would all depend on the quality of the code reader. I used INPA when I was having issues and it gave me the clue I needed. A code for the front locks being open circuit. IIRC it was front arrestor hooks open circuit.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Robert63

Post by Robert63 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:03 pm

My friend put his creator c310+ code reader on the car . The following message came up : 20 switch cowl panel unlocked, short circuit to positive. Any one got any ideas ???

Russ59

Post by Russ59 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:30 pm

Robert63 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:03 pm My friend put his creator c310+ code reader on the car . The following message came up : 20 switch cowl panel unlocked, short circuit to positive. Any one got any ideas ???
That’s the code I got and this is the fix, as Mack has said, it’s a broken wire/wires in the loom in the roof as it goes down the passenger side.

This is from one of my posts a while ago of how you get to the wiring loom.

I have the same problem as you, No window drop and No unlatch.
I believe that if the roof motor has gone the windows should still lower and the roof should unlatch.
I'm going to try this from this thread when the weather is better http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic ... ch#p913746
Hopefully an easy fix.

If you try it before me let me know the outcome :thumbsup:

This is the fix (hopefully)

After some searching for info I finally managed to track down the 2 hidden side screws to get the 'Windshield Frame Cover' off to inspect the locking mechanism.

To take it off you need a T20 screwdriver or a T20 socket,

1- First you need to lower the roof just past half way, NOTE if the roofs not down enough you won't see the side screws, I had the engine running as the roof will creep down otherwise.
2- Then remove the cover that hides the part for manually releasing the roof, where the Allen Key goes. Then remove the screw at the back, it will be obvious which one it is.
3- Then remove the 4 little screws at the front of the panel.
4- Then remove the side screws (one on each side) it won't come off without breaking unless you Remove them as I very nearly found out.

So that's a total of 7 screws to remove and with a bit of wiggling she's off.
2005, 3.0l Toledo Blue, sports seats, sports suspension, ZHP, MFSW,4 clear spot rear lights, clear side repeaters and third brake light , 19" AXE EX14 wheels, DIY carbon badges, interior parts gloss black wrapped, rear spoiler

Robert63

Post by Robert63 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:50 pm

Hi Russ many thanks for the tips, I have one question though , how do I open the hood to get at the wiring. It wont move because of the flashing red light ????

Russ59

Post by Russ59 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:41 pm

Robert63 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:50 pm Hi Russ many thanks for the tips, I have one question though , how do I open the hood to get at the wiring. It wont move because of the flashing red light ????
In the left hand side of the boot you will see a red plastic ring, pull and twist it to disengage the motor.
In the roof above the windscreen remove the plastic trim then you can unlock the roof from the windscreen with the Allen key you should have, then manually push the roof back, to the point where it just stops dropping down under its own weight.
2005, 3.0l Toledo Blue, sports seats, sports suspension, ZHP, MFSW,4 clear spot rear lights, clear side repeaters and third brake light , 19" AXE EX14 wheels, DIY carbon badges, interior parts gloss black wrapped, rear spoiler