Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

fLASHING RED LIGHT ON HOOD SWITCHES

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Robert63

Post by Robert63 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:12 pm

Hi all my zed is going from bad to worse I now have a flashing red light on my hood switches anyone got any ideas ???

noiseboy72

Post by noiseboy72 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:03 pm

Pump motor or connections to it. If it's been relocated to the boot, check the connections are sound. If it's still tucked under the roof, pump might well have seized.
E85 2.5si Sport in dark blue. Calibre CC S wheels

What could possibly go wrong!

noiseboy72

Post by noiseboy72 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:05 pm

But also check the parcel shelf is down. Turn the 2 knobs in the boot so that the shelf is in the lower position.
E85 2.5si Sport in dark blue. Calibre CC S wheels

What could possibly go wrong!

Robert63

Post by Robert63 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:10 pm

HI Many thanks I have checked the parcel shelf switch and I am certain it is not that, where about would it be under the roof, the flashing red light comes on as soon as I put the key in the ignition ??? is there any way of reseting this light I am coming to my wits end with this car !!!!!!!

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:38 pm

The motor lives in a dirty dank well in front of the passenger rear wheel, if moved, it could be behind a panel in the boot. Also ceck the micro switch for the parcel shelf, that has to contact or the roof won't work. The switch can fall apart, so worth checking.
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

Robert63

Post by Robert63 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:24 pm

Hi many thanks for your reply. Firstly I have checked the micro switch and it is good. I have even shorted it out and the flashing red light still persists. Would a code reader tell me what the fault is just a thought ???. Does the rear wheel need to be removed to get at this motor ???? I am loosing the will to live with this car :x :x :x :x

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:37 pm

Robert63 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:24 pm Hi many thanks for your reply. Firstly I have checked the micro switch and it is good. I have even shorted it out and the flashing red light still persists. Would a code reader tell me what the fault is just a thought ???. Does the rear wheel need to be removed to get at this motor ???? I am loosing the will to live with this car :x :x :x :x
Hi, the rear wheels stay in place when removing the roof motor, there’s a couple of useful guides on here if you use the search function :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Robert63

Post by Robert63 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:55 pm

Many thanks for the reply what I don't understand is that the windows don't drop down either, which is the first part of the sequence of lowering the hood. This suggests to me that it is not the roof motor

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:08 am

Robert63 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:55 pm Many thanks for the reply what I don't understand is that the windows don't drop down either, which is the first part of the sequence of lowering the hood. This suggests to me that it is not the roof motor
I think your right here. Normally when the main roof motor fails the windows still drop a short way and the smaller front motor that operates the locking mechanism at the windscreen still unlocks. What your describing sounds more like a short/open circuit or a failure of the front motor etc.
I had a similar intermittent fault exactly like this when I had an issue with some of the wires starting to perish in the roofs loom. Basically they were starting to break right where they bend when the roof retracts. I replaced all the wires right through out the length of the roof with new/better quality stuff and touch wood I haven't really had a re-occurrence in two years now.

In my case when it occurred I got a code in INPA for an open circuit on the front motor/latches. I think what was probably happening was that the roof module was detecting the open circuit as it started the cycle and then shutting off the roof as well as flashing the red light to indicate an issue.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Lance

Post by Lance » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:48 am

If the windows are not dropping and the roof is not unlatching, you may want to double check the boot microswitch and the relevant fuses. No window or latch action suggests the sequence is not starting at all, so not a motor issue based on this info,

Perhaps get someone to press the roof down button while you manually depress the m/s

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:34 pm

Lance wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:48 am If the windows are not dropping and the roof is not unlatching, you may want to double check the boot microswitch and the relevant fuses. No window or latch action suggests the sequence is not starting at all, so not a motor issue based on this info,

Perhaps get someone to press the roof down button while you manually depress the m/s
he says he's already check that
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Robert63

Post by Robert63 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:31 pm

Hi many thanks for your reply much appreciated. I am as certain as I can be that it is not the micro switch in the boot . I have tested it with a multi meter and it switches I have also, to make sure shorted it out and still the red light persists. May I ask as to where is the wiring in the hood and is it easy to get at. Many thanks.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:45 am

Robert63 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:31 pm Hi many thanks for your reply much appreciated. I am as certain as I can be that it is not the micro switch in the boot . I have tested it with a multi meter and it switches I have also, to make sure shorted it out and still the red light persists. May I ask as to where is the wiring in the hood and is it easy to get at. Many thanks.
The wiring is in the left side (UK passenger side). Its easy enough to access, you just have to drop the roof 1/3 to a 1/2 and unscrew the big plastic cover at the front that is attached to the roof lining. It become obvious from there.
Silver 05 3.0i SE

White E89 20i M Sport

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:00 am

Have you tried a reset, remove the battery lead and leave it off for a few minutes, it may help
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:57 am

firebobby wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:00 am Have you tried a reset, remove the battery lead and leave it off for a few minutes, it may help
Very good point, However I'd leave it for a good 30 mins or so, just to make sure everything's powered down and all the modules in the car restart from scratch. Just in case something else is upsetting the roof module operation. Can't hurt really!
Silver 05 3.0i SE

White E89 20i M Sport