Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Going on a mini road trip

First port of call for new members
enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:05 pm

Ok, so nothing too exciting, but persuaded 'management' that the Z needed a nice run out this spring. Heading from Norfolk to Littlehampton on Saturday to visit the old man, then Sunday it's along the coast as far as Looe for a couple of days exploring the local area.
Looking forward to some top down cruising around the coastal roads.
Not sure who is around that area, and only there for a short while, but if anyone has any recommendations for good places to visit, that hopefully include a decent road to get there, then please let me know.
Oh and if you can book some sunny weather that would be a bonus :)
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Simmocs330

Post by Simmocs330 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:41 pm

I’m a few miles away from Littlehampton sadly working on Saturday otherwise I would have had a run out with you. Loads to see around here it depends on your interests. Arundel is a lovely place normally keeps the missus happy lots of little shops plus the castle is there. Tangmere airplane museum is a good place to visit if you are into planes lots of parking and Portsmouth is down the road for Naval stuff. Lots of interesting back roads around. Try and avoid A27 around Chichester at peak hours. Depends on which way you come down but the A272 is a good road to drive with some spirited overtakes. I’m in the van on Saturday but I’ll look out for an orange blur!
Z4 2011 sDrive30i Auto All Black

Simmocs330

Post by Simmocs330 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:55 pm

I have just seen your avatar maybe Tangmere air museum is for you!
Z4 2011 sDrive30i Auto All Black

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:34 pm

Have a good one. :thumbsup:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:00 pm

Simmocs330 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:55 pm I have just seen your avatar maybe Tangmere air museum is for you!
Hi, thanks, yes was raised in L'ton but moved away in '82 when I joined the RAF. Used to take my old cars to Tangmere in the snow for a play, when it was still open to everyone. The police had a skid pan there which was a giggle as long as they didn't catch you. The museum started up after I left I think. So I know that area pretty well. Was thinking more of the Looe end of the trip to be honest. But I shall make good use of the roads on the way down. I like to go across to Pulborough then down to Arundel. That can be fun if you get a free run at it.

Oh, and the avatar? That is actually ZA601, in which I got a backseat trip way back in '93. Stayed in service till the end. The mach loop is pretty impressive from the cockpit I can tell you. And I kept my breakfast down, which was my biggest achievement :D

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Vonlipvig

Post by Vonlipvig » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:08 am

Sounds good. When you get to Exeter, I would head right through the centre of Dartmoor, through Princetown. Normally I would say go through Gunnislake on the way to looe but be warned, the one bridge through had been closed so double check that before you head out. If its open, go through Tavistock then gunnislake. Lovely road, very twisty.
2009 Sapphire Black 23i

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:23 am

Vonlipvig wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:08 am Sounds good. When you get to Exeter, I would head right through the centre of Dartmoor, through Princetown. Normally I would say go through Gunnislake on the way to looe but be warned, the one bridge through had been closed so double check that before you head out. If its open, go through Tavistock then gunnislake. Lovely road, very twisty.
That's a good shout, exactly what I was looking for, thank you. Got to beat just bumbling along the A38!
I did the Ten Tors 55 mile hike across Dartmoor, way back in '84. Be nice to go back.
So, if I get to Tavistock and the bridge is closed, I'm then looking to head down the A386 to Plymouth, through Yelverton, is that correct?

Vonlipvig

Post by Vonlipvig » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:50 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:23 am
Vonlipvig wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:08 am Sounds good. When you get to Exeter, I would head right through the centre of Dartmoor, through Princetown. Normally I would say go through Gunnislake on the way to looe but be warned, the one bridge through had been closed so double check that before you head out. If its open, go through Tavistock then gunnislake. Lovely road, very twisty.
That's a good shout, exactly what I was looking for, thank you. Got to beat just bumbling along the A38!
I did the Ten Tors 55 mile hike across Dartmoor, way back in '84. Be nice to go back.
So, if I get to Tavistock and the bridge is closed, I'm then looking to head down the A386 to Plymouth, through Yelverton, is that correct?
To that's the ticket. But rather than the bridge, jump on the Torpoint ferry and follow the Torpoint road till the looe turn off
2009 Sapphire Black 23i

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:25 pm

Vonlipvig wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:50 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:23 am
To that's the ticket. But rather than the bridge, jump on the Torpoint ferry and follow the Torpoint road till the looe turn off
Great, will try that if I have time. Latest management thought is to stop for lunch on the New Forest, so will be governed by how long that takes and how late we want to get to the hotel. I am making a list though.

tee.gilding

Post by tee.gilding » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:53 am

Enjoy the drive. Sounds like a great way to spend a weekend!
2007 Z4 3.0si Sport (E86) : Stratus Grey : Black Oregon leather : 19" Veemann V-FS33 : BC Racing coilovers : Kumho Ecsta rubber : MTEC discs : Brembo pads : stubby aerial : ZHP gear knob

Instagram: @stratus.z4coupe

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:26 pm

tee.gilding wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:53 am Enjoy the drive. Sounds like a great way to spend a weekend!
Cheers,
Beats working, that's for sure!

jimmybell

Post by jimmybell » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:47 pm

ooh i did my SVA at Marham back when i was a student, attached to II Sqn. maybe we met! :)

FAA Museum (and if you ask the right person in advance nicely - the RN Historic Flight) at Yeovilton down that way is a great stop if you're still interested in things like that.

Dunno if the RN Historic Flight is still operating, i know it was solely charity funded (unlike BBMF).

I love a Ten Tors nostalgic trip to Postbridge whenever i drive through Dartmoor, else if it's pissing down then tea+scones at the two bridges hotel.
V12 Vantage S - Hammerhead Silver, Manual, Lightweight Wheels, Exterior Carbon++, Carbon Buckets, AMR Performance Pack.
M135i LCI - ZF8, White, HK Audio, Adaptive
--
GONE Z4 M Coupe, Imola, CSLs
GONE C63 AMG, Black, Performance Pack+, LSD, HK

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:02 pm

jimmybell wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:47 pm ooh i did my SVA at Marham back when i was a student, attached to II Sqn. maybe we met! :)

FAA Museum (and if you ask the right person in advance nicely - the RN Historic Flight) at Yeovilton down that way is a great stop if you're still interested in things like that.

Dunno if the RN Historic Flight is still operating, i know it was solely charity funded (unlike BBMF).

I love a Ten Tors nostalgic trip to Postbridge whenever i drive through Dartmoor, else if it's pissing down then tea+scones at the two bridges hotel.
I was lucky enough not to be on tacky two :)
Were they in the HAS site then, or on the dispersal?
I spent 9 years on the HAS site with 617, until they went to Lossie, then I moved to the other end of the airfield with 13 Sqn.
Oddly enough, my lad joined up 3 years ago. His first posting? Marham, same HAS site, same aircraft

jimmybell

Post by jimmybell » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:05 pm

I think the hangers had just been sold to BAE for painting stuff. It was some years back but i seem to remember it being called HAS-no-aircon during the summer :(

Still - sitting in huge metal sweatboxes was more fun than a day sat at Holbeach tower. :tumbleweed:
V12 Vantage S - Hammerhead Silver, Manual, Lightweight Wheels, Exterior Carbon++, Carbon Buckets, AMR Performance Pack.
M135i LCI - ZF8, White, HK Audio, Adaptive
--
GONE Z4 M Coupe, Imola, CSLs
GONE C63 AMG, Black, Performance Pack+, LSD, HK