Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof!!

First port of call for new members
Nharris89

Roof!!

Post by Nharris89 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:13 pm

Hey Guys and Girls!

Apologies I am sure this has been asked before but I'm giving it a go! So I picked up my first z4 last Monday! She's a 2004 2.2i SE, the roof doesn't work though! I'm aware that the most likely cause is the motor has corroded, but I'm not too worried about that. The main issue now is, when I first tried, I pulled the red tab out in the boot, turned it and the roof went down fine with a bit of a push. That worked a few times BUT now the roof won't even go down in manual. It gets about a third of the way and just stops like there is some resistance in there. Does anyone know how I can sort this? I'm happy to keep operating the roof manually but obviously it's not working, can I drain the hydraulics somehow so there's no resistance?

Any help would be hugely appreciated!
04' e85 2.2i Roadster SE, Toledo blue.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Roof!!

Post by Smartbear » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:05 pm

Nharris89 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:13 pm Hey Guys and Girls!

Apologies I am sure this has been asked before but I'm giving it a go! So I picked up my first z4 last Monday! She's a 2004 2.2i SE, the roof doesn't work though! I'm aware that the most likely cause is the motor has corroded, but I'm not too worried about that. The main issue now is, when I first tried, I pulled the red tab out in the boot, turned it and the roof went down fine with a bit of a push. That worked a few times BUT now the roof won't even go down in manual. It gets about a third of the way and just stops like there is some resistance in there. Does anyone know how I can sort this? I'm happy to keep operating the roof manually but obviously it's not working, can I drain the hydraulics somehow so there's no resistance?

Any help would be hugely appreciated!
Maybe the bypass valve has slipped back, bringing the hydraulic system back in line? Go back into the boot & give it another pull and twist.
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Nharris89

Roof!!

Post by Nharris89 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:37 pm

Hi Rob, thanks for the speedy reply mate, I've tried that several times since it stopped going back but to no avail! I know it sounds barbaric but would it work if I drained the hydraulics somehow?! As I say I'm not too fussed about the power roof, quite happy doing it by hand as it's so quick!

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Roof!!

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:46 pm

Hi and welcome. :thumbsup:

As I've only had Coupes I can't offer much on the roof topic, but depending where you are there are forum members who can revive drowned motors and relocate them - which is probably a better long-term solution.

Anyway, we like to see new members' cars so don't faul foul of the photo police - get some piccies posted! :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Roof!!

Post by Smartbear » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:08 pm

Nharris89 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:37 pm Hi Rob, thanks for the speedy reply mate, I've tried that several times since it stopped going back but to no avail! I know it sounds barbaric but would it work if I drained the hydraulics somehow?! As I say I'm not too fussed about the power roof, quite happy doing it by hand as it's so quick!
Hi, it would work if you drained the fluid, but it’s a bit of a job to get to the motor or it’s unions unless it’s already been relocated to the boot :(
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Nharris89

Roof!!

Post by Nharris89 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:11 pm

You sir are a star. Thank you :-)