Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Potential Newbie! Z4 E85 Euro 3 or Euro 4?

First port of call for new members
AbomicTom

Post by AbomicTom » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:34 am

Good morning all,

I live in Birmingham and they're bringing a Clean Air Zone in next year, so I'm looking to sell up my 2010 E90 320d and buy something a little older, petrol and more exciting! My budget will be a little low, £3-4k, but I've found lots of lovely pre-facelift 2.5i Z4s in that range, and plenty of post-facelift 2.0i's.

Now I'd prefer a 2.5, but I would need the car to be Euro 4 spec emissions for the Birmingham CAZ. I'm getting conflicting messages online about what will be classed as exempt for this clean air zone. For instance, a reg I found for a 2004 Z4 2.5i came up as exempt on the London ULEZ checker, which has the same requirements as the upcoming Birmingham CAZ (checker: https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra- ... ecker-ulez), but when I look up the vehicle details on the DVLA tax/emissions checker (https://carfueldata.vehicle-certificati ... cy.gov.uk/) it comes up as Euro 3, which by the wording of the CAZ wouldn't be exempt.

Does anyone have a definitive answer on this please? Or does anyone have a pre-2006 V5 that shows their car as Euro 3/4 please?

Thanks in advance!

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:14 pm

Hi and welcome. :thumbsup:

Selling a diesel for something older, petrol and more exciting is a great plan.

I sold my 123d in 2014 and bought a Z4 Coupe - then added a 325ti Compact for daily use. I just wish I had done it sooner. :oops:

Anyway I have a copy of the V5 for my 325ti (same M54 engine as a pre-facelift Z4), but it doesn't show which "Euro" standard it is - it just shows the emissions values for CO, HC & NOx. But the TFL website says it wouldn't be subject to the ULEZ.

It looks like they've changed how they record it on the V5 as my 1st Z4 also showed the actual values for the same emissions, but my current Z4 doesn't - it just says EURO IV.

So if someone has registered a pre-facelift 2.5i or 3.0i after 2016 their V5 should give you a definitive answer.

Or just buy a facelift 2.5Si or 3.0Si for extra excitement. :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black