Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Is the E89 18i worth it?

First port of call for new members
mazlens

Is the E89 18i worth it?

Post by mazlens » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:41 pm

Hello all,

I am looking into getting a E89 Z4 18i as it appeals to me in many ways (MPG, hard top convertible and, most importantly to me, not a hatchback)
furthermore, as i am a young driver the insurance on the 18i's are low compared to the other variants (20i's ect)

The real question is will I be disappointed with the cars performance and are there any known common faults that I should be aware of?
I am aware that there are ECU maps available for these cars that see significant power increase which I do find appealing but don't know if these said remaps compromise reliability which would be far from ideal as I would be driving the car daily.

I currently drive a MK8 fiesta ST-Line 1.0 so the E89 will definitely be a step up!

Cheers,
Maz

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Is the E89 18i worth it?

Post by buzyg » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:32 am

I don't drive an E89. But from your opening post it sounds like he perfect Zed for you. They are all sports cars, just some of them go a bit faster. If your concerned about insurance and running cost and who isn't, then that has to play a big part in your decision. Which ever Zed you chose it will knock the spots off your Fiesta, :D Apart from the boot space. :wink:

philbo909

Is the E89 18i worth it?

Post by philbo909 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:56 am

mazlens wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:41 pm Hello all,

I am looking into getting a E89 Z4 18i as it appeals to me in many ways (MPG, hard top convertible and, most importantly to me, not a hatchback)
furthermore, as i am a young driver the insurance on the 18i's are low compared to the other variants (20i's ect)

The real question is will I be disappointed with the cars performance and are there any known common faults that I should be aware of?
I am aware that there are ECU maps available for these cars that see significant power increase which I do find appealing but don't know if these said remaps compromise reliability which would be far from ideal as I would be driving the car daily.

I currently drive a MK8 fiesta ST-Line 1.0 so the E89 will definitely be a step up!

Cheers,
Maz
Test drive one and see :thumbsup:
I ditched my e46 318I for a 2.0I E85, then bought a E86 3.0Si
At least with the 18i when you need more power all you need is a remap :D
When you don't have kids you don't need the space in your daily
Sapphire black z4 coupe 135,000miles young

Broads

Is the E89 18i worth it?

Post by Broads » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:17 am

If your young and the insurance is high, then go for the 18 as you get older and can afford the insurance, then get the remap done. I've heard it said many times on this forum that the 18 20 and 28 are the same engine, just with different maps.

I've got the 20 and the remap will take it from 197 - 280bhp for £300 not sure what the jump in insurance would be.. :P (assuming you tell them) There are also box's available (RaceChips) which have plugin box's. They dont have quite the same potential but are another option.

Take it for a spin at least and see if its for you.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/the_zed_head
Current: (2012) 20i Deep Sea Blue Z4 - E89
Past: (2000) 1.9 Topaz Z3

mazlens

Is the E89 18i worth it?

Post by mazlens » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:30 pm

cheers :)

sadly I doubt I will be old enough for a test drive as dealers (understandably) wont let 18 year olds drive "sports cars" that easily, do you know of anyone on here who has an 18i? would be good to get an ownership insight :)