Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Newbie after which Z4 to look for

First port of call for new members
Brickboy

Post by Brickboy » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:38 pm

Hi all,

Just signed up as I've vaguely fancied a Z4 for a while, my MX5 is on its last legs. I looked at an 03 2.5ltr diesel this morning. FDSH and 82k on the clock. Immaculate condition, £3250. I was seriously impressed by the drive but, of course, compared to the Mazda it would seem luxurious and quick. The only fault I could find was the clutch biting quite high and condensation in the passenger window. Still as a first look it certainly made me keen.

Really, I'd love to know what to look for, what to pay and what to avoid. I know nothing, as Manuel said, but I'd like to know!!
Cheers,

Simon

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:45 pm

Brickboy wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:38 pm Hi all,

Just signed up as I've vaguely fancied a Z4 for a while, my MX5 is on its last legs. I looked at an 03 2.5ltr diesel this morning. FDSH and 82k on the clock. Immaculate condition, £3250. I was seriously impressed by the drive but, of course, compared to the Mazda it would seem luxurious and quick. The only fault I could find was the clutch biting quite high and condensation in the passenger window. Still as a first look it certainly made me keen.

Really, I'd love to know what to look for, what to pay and what to avoid. I know nothing, as Manuel said, but I'd like to know!!
Cheers,

Simon
Hi, I think you’ve been misinformed as bmw never made a z4 diesel! :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

synthedup

Post by synthedup » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:45 pm

Diesel? I think you’re mistake there.

Welcome to the forum :thumbsup:

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:05 pm

Welcome to the forum, if it sounded like a diesel, walk away mate :wink:
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

Brickboy

Post by Brickboy » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:57 pm

Well, that would explain why it sounded so nice, but not why the diesel filter change box on the service record was ticked! Probably one to pass on! So... Onwards!

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:19 pm

Welcome to the forum. :) Diesel Z4 nice one. :o

Second car I ever bought was marked up as a 2.0 diesel Nissan Primera. The Service book was also stamped with a cam belt change. Very quickly became obvious it was a very fine petrol engine hiding under the bonnet. That had a timing chain, no cam belt. Any way I paid £6800 cash for it. Turned out to be my favourite ever family car. I kept it 8 years and the si 24v Modeo, that replaced it, was a poor relation in the fun and handling department.

Having said all that. I was hands on and a little more street wise in those days. These days I would likely run from paper work that was obviously wrong. :wink:

Trav

Post by Trav » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:12 pm

Brickboy wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:38 pm Hi all,

Just signed up as I've vaguely fancied a Z4 for a while,
Welcome. What do you mean vaguely fancied? I almost feel insulted :D . Fancy one properley and buy one. State what you want as clearly as you can, including budget and I am sure the experienced folk on here can guide you. Don't be shy to say exactly what you want or be afraid of making mistakes ( engne type) etc. You may get a bit of ribbing, but from what I can see you will also get advice.
Z4MR A.W.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:38 am

Hi and welcome. :thumbsup:

Thankfully BMW never inflicted a diesel on the lovely Z4 - they left that to Audi with the TT and Mercedes with the SLK. :rofl:

The 2.5i you looked at has the same engine as the 2.2i and 3.0i - just in a different size! Which means they all cost pretty much the same to run, so for more fun you could always look for a 3.0i (which is what most people on here will encourage you to do). :lol:

Then there was a facelift in early 2006 when a newer generation of 6 cylinder engine came along - a bit more powerful, but will obviously cost more!

It's probably best to work out which model(s) you might consider and set a budget then you'll get more specific advice.

But definitely have a look at the For Sale section on here, as buying one from a forum fanatic means it's probably been cherished!

Here's a link to a buyer's check list:- viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21281

Good luck with your search. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Brickboy

Post by Brickboy » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:13 pm

"Welcome. What do you mean vaguely fancied? I almost feel insulted :D . Fancy one properley and buy one. State what you want as clearly as you can, including budget and I am sure the experienced folk on here can guide you. Don't be shy to say exactly what you want or be afraid of making mistakes ( engne type) etc. You may get a bit of ribbing, but from what I can see you will also get advice."

Good advice - about £3500 is the budget. The one I looked at was spotless bar the condensation on the passenger window and the service book being for another car, I guess - perhaps the garage confused themselves. Vaguely looking as I hadn't seriously considered replacing the MX5 until I discovered how dangerously dim the headlights are and realised it's probably about to fall victim to the tin worm - hence the opportunity to buy something else. My real concern is running costs - MX5 = sod all :) I have no idea what a Z4 will cost and do a 30 mile daily commute down country roads - lots of fun but plenty of mess :)

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:58 pm

You should see 30 to 40 mpg and these are pretty bullet proof cars, but all depends how its been looked after. You may want to look at a suspension refresh and get the roof motor moved to the boot, if not already done. The condensation could be the plastic membrane in the door has been cut and is letting water into the passenger foot well, this is easy to sort out. Got any photos or link to the car you looked at.
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981