Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Hi New Z4 3.0 6MT owner

First port of call for new members
Z4Life

Hi New Z4 3.0 6MT owner

Post by Z4Life » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:39 pm

Hello! Just got my first bmw/z car. I have been in the market for a while now and found a 2003 Z4 with 68k miles near Seattle. It all looks pretty clean, and I got it for 7k so that seems like a decent deal. Unfortunately the power top isn't working :( Need to figure that out. Otherwise it has the sport package with button and staggered wheels, heated seats, power top, and fog lights.

Got a couple things to work out. I'll search the forum of course.

1. Power top isn't working. Tried pulling the manual release but it doesn't appear to be doing anything. I was a little confused about the lever / alan thing you are supposed to turn behind the seats.
2. The chime is super annoying and I am planning to disable it as quickly as possible. I believe I found a post on that already.
3. I have a bulb light malfunction indicator, but I am planning on getting a spare and moving it around to see which bulb is causing it. Wondering if the dynamic brake light thing could be causing it.
4. I am noticing what sounds to be a loud injector. It might be that I am just being picky, but at light throttle input I will hear a whining sound, similar to injector noise. It is pretty consistent and low throttle input in most gears and goes away when the engine is not under load.

I can't get the photo sharing system to work so here are direct links if you interested.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1H8Nvg ... PCimviYNX0

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LY0De ... Jtra0uMAZw

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1v7q4x ... MrJcW6SEkt

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Hi New Z4 3.0 6MT owner

Post by paddy wright » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:12 pm

Welcome- nice Merlot Z!
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

Z4Life

Hi New Z4 3.0 6MT owner

Post by Z4Life » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:16 am

Got my first check engine code after a 2 hour highway drive home. Vacuum leak from intake boot. Seems very convenient, is there any way to check if the check engine light has been reset recently? The clock wasn't set when I bought it so they may have disconnected the battery to clear the code or something. Never trust a dealer!

:fuelfire:

greg81

Hi New Z4 3.0 6MT owner

Post by greg81 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:35 am

Welcome! I've just left Seattle to fly home to Edinburgh. Great city!

Dellboy1948

Hi New Z4 3.0 6MT owner

Post by Dellboy1948 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:55 am

Welcome, hope you get it all sorted.
2002 Dakar Yellow Z3, 2009-2018
3 litre S type 2006 Jaguar daily runner
2010 Z4 SDrive2.3i Havana brown :driving:

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Hi New Z4 3.0 6MT owner

Post by buzyg » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:38 pm

Great looking Zed. I do like the pepperpot look wheels on early Zeds. Welcome aboard. :)

Z4Life

Hi New Z4 3.0 6MT owner

Post by Z4Life » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:47 pm

Hi Guys I got some updates!
    • Independent BMW shop found that an intake boot was leaking and causing the code. Cost about $300 total to repair.
    • DTC light came on while driving home from the shop. Turned off a couple days latter though.
    • Took the top off and found a corroded pump. I disconnected the hydraulic lines (make sure to put them in something that is leak proof if you do this), and now I can manually open and close the top. I may try to rebuild the pump and put it in the trunk like everyone else ha.
    • In the process of taking the top out I managed to pull the glass window partly off the fabric liner. I glued it back and sealed it with some silicone ha! Should hold up.
    • Got two new rear tires for the rear. Federal S595 Super Sports! Best tire ever!!! Previous rear tire had a belt failure and was on its way to a blowout. This was causing some shaking at speed as well so I am really glad to have gotten this fixed.
    • Disabled the seat belt warning chime. Easiest way to do it is to cut the black wire behind the rubber grommet on the belt plug thing (where you plug in the belt). Now the Zed thinks my belt is always plugged in. No beep for the belt, but still beeps for key and lights on.

jabber
Lifer
Lifer

Hi New Z4 3.0 6MT owner

Post by jabber » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:43 pm

Hi and welcome :thumbsup:
Z less again
14 E89 Z4 2.0 msport grey gone now
10 E89 Z4 3.0 Black auto now. Very sadly gone
Gone 04 E85 z4 3.0 Maldives blue smg