Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Potential owner...

First port of call for new members
chilistrucker

Potential owner...

Post by chilistrucker » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:56 pm

Hello all, I've been lurking for a while now and finally thought I'd register.
At some point this month I'll be in the market for a weekend/summer car and as the kids have grown up and buggered off I can finally treat myself to something 'I' want 8)

Always fancied a convertible but its not been an option before, I also want a car that makes me smile to look at and is a really nice drive. Shortlist is Z4, MX5 and Boxster and have registered on a couple of those cars relevant forums.

Originally set myself a budget of 7k but you know what its like when you start looking, so there is potential to stretch to 8k for an absolute winner of a car if 1 comes along. So far I've looked at 2 MX5's both of which were no where near as good as they looked in the ads but I knew I had to expect that. Still think they are a cracking car, obviously just not quite with the finish of the Z4 or the Boxster. Still a contender though.
Boxster wise, obviously there are cost issues should something big go wrong down the line but I will have a budget I'll be saving monthly for whichever car I end up with? I'm going to look at an 05 plate 987, 2.7 on Sunday, real cracking looking car, with the right history very good spec and ticks most of the boxes, it's on 90k miles and up for around the 7.5-8k range.

So, Z4's. My personal favorite is the E89 and its based purely on looks both in and out, as of yet I haven't really done much research into these, (which is why I'm here) as i thought a decent one would be out of my budget so was expecting to look at a Z4 somewhere around 06-08 plates. Lately though a couple of E89's have come up within range and although slightly higher mileage the ones I have been interested in do have FSH and appear to be well looked after examples, i have seen a couple of shabby ones though that I wouldn't touch with a barge pole.

I have found a stunna for 8.5k and phoned the guy immediately as its very, very nice, sadly though he has taken a deposit on it and the guy is viewing/buying on Saturday. The seller sounded very genuine though, (private sale) and has taken my number and is going to let me know either way what happens on Saturday morning as if the sale falls through i could view Saturday afternoon. Fingers crossed.

Anyway off for a more in depth look around this forum, if anyone has any helpful tips on things i should know/look for any help is appreciated and if you know of any suitable E89's please give me a shout,
cheers :thumbsup:

Dave 2 dogs

Potential owner...

Post by Dave 2 dogs » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:47 pm

Hi there
Welcome to the forum
I did exactly what you’re doing, looked at boxters for months and then ( because of worries about the age of boxter I could get for my money) I tried a z4 e85
Ended up putting a deposit on the first one I drove.
If you go down the boxter route.... be aware of ims bearing failure which can Grenade the engine. Think this problem was up to 07 ? Then was modified, there are some good older ones about that have had the upgrade bearing done, worth looking out for, but all this is mute , as if you drive a zed , I think you will fall
In love 😍 I’m just about to jump from an e85 to e89 hopefully, hopefully you have lots of fun test driving the cars , out ya know how you get on :driving:

jabber
Lifer
Lifer

Potential owner...

Post by jabber » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:33 pm

Hi and welcome good luck with the search :thumbsup:
Z less again
14 E89 Z4 2.0 msport grey gone now
10 E89 Z4 3.0 Black auto now. Very sadly gone
Gone 04 E85 z4 3.0 Maldives blue smg

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Potential owner...

Post by buzyg » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:21 pm

Welcome on board. Good hunting. :)

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Potential owner...

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:41 pm

Hi and welcome. :thumbsup:

Looking in the adverts on here may be a good starting point.

Still good luck finding what you want, even if it isn't a Z4! :(
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Haggisman

Potential owner...

Post by Haggisman » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:02 am

Welcome, I looked at the Boxster, 350Z as well as the Z4. Didn’t include the MX5 purely on a power basis though they are a very reliable, great handling car and very cheap to run in New Zealand.
Had 2 350Z coupes which were really good though the interior is a bit plasticy and imo not so nice as the others. I didn’t like the 350Z with the hood up and visibility is poor with it up.
I have owned several Porsche 911’s so felt the Boxster was too effeminate (IMO though the later ones less so). I did look at the 3.2 S but future repairs mentioned in previous posts worried me in addition to general running costs.
The 3.0 Z4 manual felt like a modern day Healey 3000, the standard of finish and general feeling of quality, the masculine look and relative rarity in NZ swung me. I am very happy with the car although I hanker towards the exclusivity and rawness of the Z4 M if I can find one over here.
With any of the cars I would insist on an accuarate and comprehensive service and maintenance history, stamps in a service book mean very little. Also, keep some cash aside for the unexpected.
Good hunting.
2003 Toledo Blue 3.0 E85 Manual
2008 Volvo V50 - Dog Car
2020 Kia Sportage GT - Her Indoor’s Car
1995 Dakar Yellow M3 E36 Race Car - Sold
2009 Vauxhall Astra VXR - Sold
2003 350Z well modded - Sold
1992 911 RS - Sold and still in mourning

chilistrucker

Potential owner...

Post by chilistrucker » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:27 am

Thanks all for the replies and info.Got in from work an hour ago and stupidly jumped on line for a nose at more Z4's and have found a potential car :o

It is an E89, 11 plate Z4, SDrive 23i M Sport. well thats how its listed, it is just about do able for my budget
BUT
it is on 100,000 miles.

Will go into more detail in another post on the right page, but what are peoples initial thoughts?
Is it a maybe, or should i have alarm bells going off?

TIA