Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New Zealand Z4 Owner

First port of call for new members
tee.gilding

New Zealand Z4 Owner

Post by tee.gilding » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:38 am

Haggisman wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:53 pm Thanks for the warning, I’m in Wellington. Cheers
Welcome to the forum Haggisman. I'm originally from Auckland but living in the UK now. Nice to see the Zed's are getting some love in NZ too. Never saw any while I was living there - or at least not that I had noticed!
2007 Z4 3.0si Sport (E86) : Stratus Grey : Black Oregon leather : 19" Veemann V-FS33 : BC Racing coilovers : Kumho Ecsta rubber : MTEC discs : Brembo pads : stubby aerial : ZHP gear knob

Instagram: @stratus.z4coupe

Haggisman

New Zealand Z4 Owner

Post by Haggisman » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:20 am

tee.gilding wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:38 am
Haggisman wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:53 pm Thanks for the warning, I’m in Wellington. Cheers
Welcome to the forum Haggisman. I'm originally from Auckland but living in the UK now. Nice to see the Zed's are getting some love in NZ too. Never saw any while I was living there - or at least not that I had noticed!
They are pretty rare here and I reckon very much underated, trying to get a manual one almost impossible. Quite a few jap imports mostly auto. Happy to get my manual uk import.

I am envious of the variety of car's in the UK and whilst NZ is great for many reasons I do get frustrated about the car scene being so narrow.

Cheers
2003 Toledo Blue 3.0 E85 Manual
2008 Volvo V50 - Dog Car
2020 Kia Sportage GT - Her Indoor’s Car
1995 Dakar Yellow M3 E36 Race Car - Sold
2009 Vauxhall Astra VXR - Sold
2003 350Z well modded - Sold
1992 911 RS - Sold and still in mourning

tee.gilding

New Zealand Z4 Owner

Post by tee.gilding » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:23 am

Haggisman wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:20 am
tee.gilding wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:38 am
They are pretty rare here and I reckon very much underated, trying to get a manual one almost impossible. Quite a few jap imports mostly auto. Happy to get my manual uk import.

I am envious of the variety of car's in the UK and whilst NZ is great for many reasons I do get frustrated about the car scene being so narrow.

Cheers
Agreed. If I was still back home I'd have no chance in hell of owning the car I currently own. A manual 3.0si coupe in NZ? Basically less common than a unicorn.

Love your car, and the combination of colour and wheels is spot on. Nice!
2007 Z4 3.0si Sport (E86) : Stratus Grey : Black Oregon leather : 19" Veemann V-FS33 : BC Racing coilovers : Kumho Ecsta rubber : MTEC discs : Brembo pads : stubby aerial : ZHP gear knob

Instagram: @stratus.z4coupe

Haggisman

New Zealand Z4 Owner

Post by Haggisman » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:05 pm

tee.gilding wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:23 am
Haggisman wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:20 am
tee.gilding wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:38 am Welcome to the forum Haggisman. I'm originally from Auckland but living in the UK now. Nice to see the Zed's are getting some love in NZ too. Never saw any while I was living there - or at least not that I had noticed!

Cheers
Agreed. If I was still back home I'd have no chance in hell of owning the car I currently own. A manual 3.0si coupe in NZ? Basically less common than a unicorn.

Thanks and sounds like you have a nice car as well.
Currently advertised for sale in NZ (Trademe & Autotrader NZ ) there are 88 Z4’s for sale, all roadsters. Only 4 are manual and 2 are NZ new. 1 is a 2003 E85 3.0 done 90,000klms asking NZ$13,700, no service history and quite a few owners. Other is a 2009 2.3i S Drive with 40,000klms asking NZ$38,000.
Has been a couple of Z4M coupes for sale over the last year, 1 NZ new at NZ45,000, lovely condition and another UK imported one, same price but a bit tired.
Looked at a personal import from the UK, freight is getting cheaper so might consider that, just the risk of buying a car sight unseen.
If you come back here you might want to consider bringing a car with you.
Hope you find the above of interest.
Cheers
2008 Volvo V50 - Dog Car

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

New Zealand Z4 Owner

Post by enzed4 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:43 am

Haggisman wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:05 pm
tee.gilding wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:23 am
Haggisman wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:20 am They are pretty rare here and I reckon very much underated, trying to get a manual one almost impossible. Quite a few jap imports mostly auto. Happy to get my manual uk import.

Cheers

Thanks and sounds like you have a nice car as well.
Currently advertised for sale in NZ (Trademe & Autotrader NZ ) there are 88 Z4’s for sale, all roadsters. Only 4 are manual and 2 are NZ new. 1 is a 2003 E85 3.0 done 90,000klms asking NZ$13,700, no service history and quite a few owners. Other is a 2009 2.3i S Drive with 40,000klms asking NZ$38,000.
Has been a couple of Z4M coupes for sale over the last year, 1 NZ new at NZ45,000, lovely condition and another UK imported one, same price but a bit tired.
Looked at a personal import from the UK, freight is getting cheaper so might consider that, just the risk of buying a car sight unseen.
If you come back here you might want to consider bringing a car with you.
Hope you find the above of interest.
Cheers
Don't forget the 2009 3.0i E89 (UK import). I drove it - nice, with red m-sport seats, but a bit rough cosmetically. It is the 6 speed manual.
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

Haggisman

New Zealand Z4 Owner

Post by Haggisman » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:12 am

Missed that one somehow. Cheers
2008 Volvo V50 - Dog Car

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

New Zealand Z4 Owner

Post by MrPT » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:46 am

Welcome! Lovely car, lovely country. :thumbsup:

Interested to see what you do with it, given your experience. I'm not normally a Schnitzer fan but those suit the car well. Never thought I'd say it, but the pre-facelift front end is starting to look a bit better than the facelift...
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

Haggisman

New Zealand Z4 Owner

Post by Haggisman » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:06 pm

MrPT wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:46 am Welcome! Lovely car, lovely country. :thumbsup:

Interested to see what you do with it, given your experience. I'm not normally a Schnitzer fan but those suit the car well. Never thought I'd say it, but the pre-facelift front end is starting to look a bit better than the facelift...
Thanks Mr PT. I see you’ve gone the coil over route, sounds like you will have a great handling and stopping M. Nice colour as well.

I think the Schnitzer’s suit the car, don’t quite fill the arches the way I would like but will probably stick with them for the moment. Surprisingly they are lighter than the 17” BMW wheels with run flats that were on the car.

Going to the track (Chris Amon Motorsport Park at Manfeild on 21st Jan which will allow me to assess the car and prioritise any mods. I would buy an M if I can find one rather than throw $10,000 in modifications at the car which would be worth no more than I paid for it so sitting on the fence as to what to do.

I can afford to buy a UK M car but have freight, insurance and tax @ 15% on the lot which is lost money again.

Even putting spacers on a car here requires a compliance certificate which costs around $650, same with coil overs though springs and shocks are ok. ! Set of H & R springs in NZ for this car at $620, everything needs to be brought in from the States or UK.

Love the fundamentals of the car and like the pre facelift model’s looks, Understated in my opinion. Will see what the trackday brings and make some decisions from there. Going to be hard to stop me spending money one way or the other.

Appreciate your interest, have to admit I am envious of your car.

Cheers
2008 Volvo V50 - Dog Car

scarlet-jester

New Zealand Z4 Owner

Post by scarlet-jester » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:50 am

Hi Haggisman - great to see another Kiwi enjoying the great outdoors in a Z4!

enzed4 and I got together last year and did bit of Carly on my car which turned out well. I drove mine down from Auckland last year and we swung by a mates place in Masterton so got to enjoy the drive over the hill to Wellington.

Totally agree that they are awesome cars - a lot of car for the money!
E85 - 2006 3.0Si

Haggisman

New Zealand Z4 Owner

Post by Haggisman » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:45 am

Hi, thanks for the welcome, I wondered where you were from. Not many Z4’s around at all. I took the car to Manfeild race track at Feilding near Palmerston North on the 21st. I had upgraded the rotors, pads and brake fluid before going and the car exceeded my expectations. I have raced there for about 20 years in various cars so know the track quiet well and the Z4 proved to be a well balanced and great handling car and because I know the right lines to take was quicker than some of the more expensive “exotica” that was there. Car had good punch out of the corners and brakes held up very well.

My view of the car has changed (positively) and the capability as standard shows me the potential so I am appreciating the Z4 even more. Mind you, I do hanker after the “M” model, do you know anyone in NZ who has one.

Be great to have a Z$ “meet” someday. Cheers
2008 Volvo V50 - Dog Car

Haggisman

New Zealand Z4 Owner

Post by Haggisman » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:46 am

Oops, meant to say “ Z4 meet” not Z$ Haha
2008 Volvo V50 - Dog Car

scarlet-jester

New Zealand Z4 Owner

Post by scarlet-jester » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:45 am

Haggisman wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:20 am They are pretty rare here and I reckon very much underated, trying to get a manual one almost impossible. Quite a few jap imports mostly auto. Happy to get my manual uk import.

Cheers
Yes, I hear you on the frustrations of a small market, and this pretty much extends into most things really. I am having a hard time getting hold of a set of ice 18’s for my zed. Current wheels I have bought will need spacers and I was not aware of the $650 compliance you note in this thread – real bummer. Pretty keen to take her on the track and was planning on getting some sticky feet for my current 17's after upgrading, but having to contend with spacers makes it all the more complex.

That being said, as we have sooooo many amazing roads to enjoy them on, bugger all traffic to contend with and pretty good climate to boot too. Love NZ
Haggisman wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:45 am Hi, thanks for the welcome, I wondered where you were from. Not many Z4’s around at all. I took the car to Manfeild race track at Feilding near Palmerston North on the 21st. I had upgraded the rotors, pads and brake fluid before going and the car exceeded my expectations. I have raced there for about 20 years in various cars so know the track quiet well and the Z4 proved to be a well balanced and great handling car and because I know the right lines to take was quicker than some of the more expensive “exotica” that was there. Car had good punch out of the corners and brakes held up very well.

My view of the car has changed (positively) and the capability as standard shows me the potential so I am appreciating the Z4 even more. Mind you, I do hanker after the “M” model, do you know anyone in NZ who has one.

Be great to have a Z$ “meet” someday. Cheers
I do not know of any M’s around, but I have to admit I am not looking. I will have a word with my mechanic as they have their finger on the pulse of a lot of BMW stuff going on around NZ.

A get together would be pretty cool. Went to Ruapuna on the weekend and enjoyed some motorsport – some terrific E30 race cars and the F5000’s were LOUD! Saw a nice 3.0Si coupe but no other E85/6’s.
E85 - 2006 3.0Si

Haggisman

New Zealand Z4 Owner

Post by Haggisman » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:15 am

A 2009 Z4 MC just came on trade me, I would be happy with a M roadster, seem to be a bit cheaper? I ran spacers on my race M3 because of the amount of neg camber on front, did a stud conversion bought from Turner Motorsport to make life a bit easier as well.
My track day was awesome, sticky tyres would have made a huge difference in the confidence stakes, was expecting the road tyres to go off after a few laps but surprisingly they behaved, brakes with decent pads and Motul high temp fluid were great as well.

I saw some forged BBS wheels that I fancied on trademe, seller was in CHristchurch plus they were quite expensive and hard to know what condition they were in even with reasonable photo’s.
Are you in Christchurch?
2008 Volvo V50 - Dog Car

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

New Zealand Z4 Owner

Post by enzed4 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:40 pm

scarlet-jester wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:45 am

A get together would be pretty cool. Went to Ruapuna on the weekend and enjoyed some motorsport – some terrific E30 race cars and the F5000’s were LOUD! Saw a nice 3.0Si coupe but no other E85/6’s.
My son was there at the same time (he's more into the JDM scene). I don't know that I've ever been to Ruapuna, but I suspect he may drag me along some day, some of the track days sound interesting.
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

scarlet-jester

New Zealand Z4 Owner

Post by scarlet-jester » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:47 am

Haggisman wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:15 am A 2009 Z4 MC just came on trade me, I would be happy with a M roadster, seem to be a bit cheaper? I ran spacers on my race M3 because of the amount of neg camber on front, did a stud conversion bought from Turner Motorsport to make life a bit easier as well.
My track day was awesome, sticky tyres would have made a huge difference in the confidence stakes, was expecting the road tyres to go off after a few laps but surprisingly they behaved, brakes with decent pads and Motul high temp fluid were great as well.

I saw some forged BBS wheels that I fancied on trademe, seller was in CHristchurch plus they were quite expensive and hard to know what condition they were in even with reasonable photo’s.
Are you in Christchurch?
Yes, I am in CHCH - happy to look at stuff for you if you need it. Drop me a PM if you need help with anything. Wow, $50k for the Z4M, will be interesting to see if it shifts at that price. I see it has had the dash carbon wrapped too

I have a good mechanic who does all of our cars (apart from the Z4) and he sorts warrants and such like. I will go and have a chat with him around my new wheels - get some advice and see what the costs look like before taking the plunge.
E85 - 2006 3.0Si