Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Trickle charging

First port of call for new members
mackharry

Trickle charging

Post by mackharry » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:14 pm

Anyone got any advice on trickle charging? I only use my zed at the weekend but due to the weather its sat there for 3 weeks unused and this looks like it might be the case for the foreseeable. I've read that there is somewhere in the engine compartment to attach a charger rather than straight to the battery. It had a new battery in August as the previous one died and the car went into limp mode, luckily it was still under warranty so the garage sorted it, I want to avoid this happening again as I've heard it's expensive if it has to go into a dealer to reset. Any advice appreciated. Thanks
3.0 si sapphire black e85 facelift, individual leather New England black Silverstone grey, ZHP

Gone - Little 4pot e85 facelift ruby black metallic, oregon beige leather, ZHP

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Trickle charging

Post by buzyg » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:32 pm

Yes on the E85 there are two studs in the engine bay one, the earth, on the passenger side about halfway back and one , the positive, on the bulkhead about a third the way across from the passenger side. I have a tracker fitted, which drains the battery, but also txt me when it needs charging. I generally put mine on charge after two weeks, if not driven.

BRC

Trickle charging

Post by BRC » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:36 pm

Inside the engine bay there are two points to connect a charger. One (the negative) is on the near side spring turret and looks like a nut unconnected to anything. The other is just in front of the bulkhead and will likely be concealed by a plastic cover. Simply connect your trickle charger of choice to these points.
Some on here will advocate the use of CTek chargers but personally I have used a Lidl charger for the last 6 years and it has worked faultlessly. Whatever you connect with make sure it is a "smart" charger that can be left connected indefinitely.

Just been out and photographed mine in situ:

Attachments
20181202_173856.jpg
20181202_173856.jpg (252.23 KiB) Viewed 721 times
20181202_173846.jpg
20181202_173846.jpg (188.85 KiB) Viewed 721 times

Sold a pair of soft top side covers and now retired.

mackharry

Trickle charging

Post by mackharry » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:22 pm

Thanks guys, great info. Pitch black outside now but I'll have a look tomorrow :thumbsup:
3.0 si sapphire black e85 facelift, individual leather New England black Silverstone grey, ZHP

mackharry

Trickle charging

Post by mackharry » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:01 pm

Found the charging point and the nut/stud for the neg. once again many thanks guys, this site is a fantastic resource for us less technical individuals!

Kevoz4

Trickle charging

Post by Kevoz4 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:01 am

+1 for the Lidl chargers, I’ve had a couple for 5 years and had no problems and they are cheap enough to replace.
Cheers Kev.

2005 Titan Silver BMW Z4 E85 2.0SE
2013 Graphite BMW 120d Sport
1972 Pimento Red Triumph TR6 2.5 Pi
1979 Azzurro Blue Lancia Beta Coupe 1.6

earthdweller

Trickle charging

Post by earthdweller » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:34 pm

BRC wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:36 pm Inside the engine bay there are two points to connect a charger. One (the negative) is on the near side spring turret and looks like a nut unconnected to anything. The other is just in front of the bulkhead and will likely be concealed by a plastic cover. Simply connect your trickle charger of choice to these points.
Some on here will advocate the use of CTek chargers but personally I have used a Lidl charger for the last 6 years and it has worked faultlessly. Whatever you connect with make sure it is a "smart" charger that can be left connected indefinitely.

Just been out and photographed mine in situ:

I have both the ctek and the Lidl one both of the job

I kind of prefer the ctek and that’s on the zed

The Lidl one is one a lawn tractor and works just fine
07 3.0si Sport Roadster Titanium Silver/Syrah Blue Individual Leather, CSL reps ZHP