Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Is it a good choice?

First port of call for new members
Diamond

Is it a good choice?

Post by Diamond » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:21 pm

Hi all,

Came across this forum a few weeks back and have spent hours on it since, loads of really useful information.

However, I am still undecided whether a Z4 is a good choice of car for me. Basically, I need something reliable and with some power to take the pain out of a 5 hour round trip on European highways that I have to do weekly/fortnightly. Often the driving is late at night on empty motorways. Currently I am using my 2nd family car a Kia Picanto which makes for a painful journey to say the least. Particularly as I watch the big German cars fly past me. In my calculations, having a car which could average 90 rather than 70 would shave an hour of my journey time. The rest of the time the car would do short journeys or be garage stored.

I am not concerned about MPG, but I do want something which I can rely on to start after a weekend sat in airport car parks, and which will eat up the miles. For various reasons I want Petrol rather than diesel and from what I read the 6cyl engine sounds great. In the summer having the roof down would be awesome too 👍

Based on excellent info here I am thinking towards a E89 30i (2012) if possible, or possibly the 23i or 35i. Would prefer manual, with the stereo upgrade, heated seats and retractable mirrors. Not sure about other options. All thoughts/inputs much appreciated, particularly on whether the Z4 would be good in this role? Would be looking to buy when the right car comes up, but in no rush.

Cheers

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Is it a good choice?

Post by Marlon » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:26 pm

Sounds like your after a Grand Tourer with a sporty edge - many here believe E89s fit the bill.
Welcome along btw :)
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Trav

Is it a good choice?

Post by Trav » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:56 pm

If you have spent hours on here it only means one thing. You want one! Otherwise you would be on the Citroen Berlingo Club page. Get it bought, you won't be disappointed. :thumbsup:
Z4MR A.W.

Jollyjoiner

Is it a good choice?

Post by Jollyjoiner » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:58 pm

Welcome aboard.
E89 is a perfect GT car. I have the 35i but with the Dct gearbox and it just purrs like a kitten on the motorway and becomes a tiger when you give it a heavy right foot :driving: :thumbsup:
2009 35i DCT silver
SLT mapped to 365bhp :)

noiseboy72

Is it a good choice?

Post by noiseboy72 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:54 pm

I do a 3 hour return commute twice a week and TBH, I can think of nicer cars to do it in. My E85 2.5Si is not really that comfortable for longer drives. I find it a bit tight space wise and the heavy (and sensitive) steering and clutch gets a bit wearing after a while.

I am thinking of getting a Golf R as the daily and keeping the Zed for track days and topless driving in the better weather. That way I get adaptive cruise control, AEB, lane assist etc. which makes long distance driving safer and more comfortable but it's still got enough performance to put a smile on my face.

That being said, my Zed has been reliable and great fun to drive. Maybe an E89 is better in respects of creature comforts and would be a god choice.
E85 2.5si Sport in dark blue. Calibre CC S wheels

What could possibly go wrong!

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Is it a good choice?

Post by buzyg » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:09 pm

Sounds like you are in the right place. The Zed is a comfy well built reliable car, that will sit effortlessly at 90 all day long. Take one out for a test drive. :wink:

Diamond

Is it a good choice?

Post by Diamond » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:46 pm

Thanks all, really appreciate the advice and the welcome. Regarding budget it seems prices really vary. Max I am looking to spend is 11-12k, would that get me a nicely specced, low mileage (50k ish) 2011/12 30i or 35i? From what I’ve read the biggest challenge might be waiting for the right car to come up for sale and then being ready to buy quickly? I would prefer to buy from a forum member ideally 👍