Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New to the forum

First port of call for new members
Runnerunner

New to the forum

Post by Runnerunner » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:15 pm

Hello everyone.
I have been lurking around the forum and decided to pull the trigger and fire some questions.
I am about to pass my license and am questioning whether a 2.5 Z4 would be a suitable car for someone without much experience on UK roads.
I am a 26 year old professional that bailed his initial path of getting a license at a younger age due to personal causes, 8 years later and at the different side of the road, I am about to get my UK drivers license. I have done a couple of thousand miles on a 125cc motorcycle on English roads, but overall, wouldn't call myself experienced at all.
I love the looks of the Zed, am not interested in the speed factor of the car, just after the roadster aspect + the sound of the 6 cylinder engine.
Insurance wise, I can get a really good deal on a 2.5 Z4, question is whether it will be a overkill.
What are your thoughts on this?
:tumbleweed:

Doddsy

New to the forum

Post by Doddsy » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:27 pm

Take one out on a test drive dude :thumbsup:
Now: Z4MC Titan Silver
Gone: E86 3.0Si Sport Titan Silver - M exhaust + bumper - Battery Relocated - Aero Front
E86 3.0Si Sport Silver Grey - Carbon Diffuser - Aero Kit - B/Box Mod - Storm MW V2
E85 2.5 Si Sport Titan Silver

Dave 2 dogs

New to the forum

Post by Dave 2 dogs » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:37 pm

Welcome to the forum
Love your honesty..... like doddsy says take one out on a drive , think you will be sold on it . They are awesome cars , only got mine as a weekend car , but my poor Range Rover seems to be stuck at home more and more , and I suspect there would be plenty on here saying the same.... good luck with finding one , let us know how you get on :thumbsup:

buzyg
Legend
Legend

New to the forum

Post by buzyg » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:34 pm

Not the easiest car in the word to drive. They follow the tarmac aka, can tramline.The bonnet can be a bit intimidating too. Reversing is a doddle though. :wink: Take one out and see what you think. Take an Mx5 out too. Just as much fun, in a simpler to learn package. :driving:

Happy hunting. :thumbsup:

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

New to the forum

Post by firebobby » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:45 pm

Welcome to the forum, where are you in the country. You will notice the difference from a 125 though :)
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

New to the forum

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:55 pm

Hi and welcome OP. :thumbsup:

A 2.5 litre Z4 would be an impressive 1st car! But as others have said you might want to try before you buy - a Z4 is a bit more demanding to drive than your typical 1st car (I'm thinking Fiesta/Corsa type of cars).

But if you've survived a couple of thousand miles on a 125 I'm guessing you have some sense of self-preservation, so why not? Just take some time to get used to it before you plant the accelerator!

Oh, and if you do go for it don't forget the photos. :)
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

New to the forum

Post by Marlon » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:13 pm

Great choice, sounds like you've given it a lot of thought. I agree - the Z4 s a great looking car :thumbsup:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S