Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New and looking for e86

First port of call for new members
herrickbj98

New and looking for e86

Post by herrickbj98 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:11 pm

Hi guys new to the forum.
Few questions
Anyone use chris knott for the insurance seen a link in the forum and anyone had to make a claim??

Looking for an e86 and have found one that looks a bit special. What sort of price should i be looking for an 07 plate 90k mileage with quad exhaust, carbon roof and spoiler lip, csl alloys.

And anything inparticular i should be looking for when buying
Thanks in advance
Ben

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

New and looking for e86

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:54 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

My E86 has been insured with Chris Knott for 2 years. Price is reasonable, and they didn't have an issue with my non-standard exhaust. But a few on here have reported issues getting quotes in city postcodes. Thankfully haven't had to try their claims service! :)

Hard to comment on price - is the car an SE or a Sport? Manual or Auto? Is the roof a carbon panel, or a carbon-look wrap?

The 3.0Si has an electric water pump that tends to die after 10-12 years and costs over £200 just for the part, so if the car has already had a new one that's reassuring - otherwise budget for one.

SE models came with what BMW call "Sport" seats, but Sport models had "M-Sport seats" which are much better and very sought after. If you buy an SE planning to swap to the M-Sport seats expect to have to pay up to £1,000 for a used pair! :o

The only other thing worth taking into account is that E86s had a pretty basic spec. Cruise control, parking sensors, stereo buttons on the steering wheel (MFSW), Bi-Xenon headlights, heated seats, cup-holders, folding door mirrors were all extras so if you need to work out what is essential and what would be good to have and search accordingly.

Good luck. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

buzyg
Legend
Legend

New and looking for e86

Post by buzyg » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:12 pm

Mr T seems to have covered all the bases. So I will just say, welcome aboard. :)