Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Considering a Z4 Coupe...

First port of call for new members
Petey

Post by Petey » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:55 pm

Hi All

I am new to the forum, never owned a Z4 (or even driven one) but I have always really loved the styling and the idea of a coupe.

I currently drive a 2014 M135i daily, when I bought it nearly 2 years ago it was a toss up between the 1 series and a Z4M Coupe, in the end I had to choose the M135i for practicality and fuel economy reasons.

Anyway I really like my 1 series, its a Mineral Grey 3 door hatch with black leather, Nav and a manual gearbox... however circumstances have changed, I do less miles now and don't really need a hatchback and I still really fancy getting a Z4C...

My options are:
a. sell the M135 and buy a 3.0si and have few grand left over.
b. sell the M135 and put some money towards a Z4M Coupe.

Do any of you guys have experience with the M135i and how they compare to the Z4C as a daily driver? I do mainly A and B road driving and occasional motorway journeys.

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks

Pete

Zee4Coop

Post by Zee4Coop » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:10 pm

Hi Petey,

Last week I traded a six year old 3 Series Coupe for a 10 year old Z4 Coupe 3.0.

So far everything is good! It's a driving machine pure and simple. The handling is amazing, both grip and composure. Don't fall for the line that the electric PAS doesn't give feedback - it tells you exactly what's going on! The engine is amazing! Instant response in any gear with a great soundtrack which gets better as the revs rise. The gearbox needs a firm hand and the clutch is on the heavy side, but nothing to worry about. My Mrs manages fine and she's 5'3" and 8 stone. Seats are very comfortable. After only a week it feels like I've always had it and that it just fits when I get into it. MPG so far (yes I know you don't buy a car like this for economy!) is a barely believable 34 mpg!!

Downsides? Well it's noisier than my 3 Coupe, but it's not excessive and the engine sounds so good I haven't had any music on yet. Compared to a newer design it feels less sophisticated, more raw and you have to concentrate when you're driving it. I have 4 x new Bridgestone RFL's that came with the car and the ride is firm for sure, but not uncomfortable. I've heard that non RFL is the way to go, but I'll leave the Bridgestones alone for now since they're probably worth about a £grand.

I had driven 6 x Z4C's before I took the plunge and some of the cars I drove just felt tired and old. I have limited mechanical knowledge so I can't tell you what to look/listen for. In the end went with what I think was the only Z4 in the BMW dealer network (Sytners Tamworth), paid through the nose, but got a full used BMW warranty and the car looks great and drives well.

When it first appeared the Z4 was controversial to say the least. But I think the design has matured well and lots of the styling cues have been copied by other designers. You never mistake a Z4 Coupe or Roadster for anything else and you can't say that about many cars!

Just do it Petey!
Good luck to you.

Phil
Current: Z4 Coupe 2008 Stratus Grey, cream leather, piano black dash.
Toyota C-HR Hybrid
Gone but not forgotten:- Cooper S - electric blue, black leather, split rims
330d Coupe Black Sapphire red leather

Petey

Post by Petey » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:53 pm

Thanks Phil, I do love the way they look and it sounds very much like the Z4 Coupe is the sort of car that will suit my driving style.
I guess I should really get behind the wheel of a Z4 to see what its all about :driving:

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:56 pm

The Z4M is great....

The only problem i can see is the suspension being very tiresome on the smaller roads if thats you main driving.

Petey

Post by Petey » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:25 pm

I do love the M, I take it they are pretty stiff then? The roads I drive on can be a bit bumpy. I know it’s about the overall experience with these cars but I’m wondering if the 3.0si might seem a bit slow compared to what I have now...

AveZ4coop

Post by AveZ4coop » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:42 pm

I have a 3.0si.
What I would say is it may not be the fastest car on the road, but it is quick enough, the experience is all consuming and the handling is excellent.
Mine is a daily driver and I find the ride is very comfortable on most road types. It definitely feels like a much more expensive car but can be run on a very sensible budget.
Absolutely love the coupe shape and receive nothing but complimentary comments on it, either way you cannot lose. :thumbsup:
Montego blue 2006 BMW Z4 coupe 3.0si with black interior, ZHP, Whippy, 12mm front/16mm rear spacers on BBS 108's wrapped in Michelin PS4's. :driving:Brand new Pierburg water pump fitted at 101k after failure :cry: (should have done it at 100k) :headbang:

Z4 COUPSTER

Post by Z4 COUPSTER » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:44 pm

Driven 40 plus bmws some my own others works or customers cars. The Z4 coupe bud is class full stop! Looks that get better each day and fab engine, handles like a dream and turns heads everywhere. It's not a quick as your 135i..BUT tbh I think they are overrated and way to common now.
That's a personal thing. I love Zeds in general the look, the drive and the sound, so I'm based.
Go for it!!!
And if your in Wales you can drive mine no problem.
D
:thumbsup: Z in da Head.
3.0i Z3 sport,sapphire black,3.0i Z4 roadster Sterling grey,auto,Z4 3.0si Coupe Titanium silver,Stubby &B06 Plus some other German beauties!!

Petey

Post by Petey » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:06 pm

Thanks for the comments and advice guys, much appreciated. I think I will put the 1 series up for sale and see what interest I get...

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:29 pm

Hi OP, I'm on my 2nd 3.0Si Coupe now and I love them!

That's an interesting post by Zee4Coop, but you won't have an issue with EPAS after your M135i because I'm sure that has it too!

I just had a quick search and it seems your car has a quoted 0-60 time of 5.1s, whereas a Z4C is 5.7s. So while it isn't as quick, it isn't too much slower.

I had a 123d before I got my first Coupe and while the Coupe was obviously far quicker, but another reason I wanted a Z4C was how it looked - it's a stunning design IMO. And having never owned a 2 seater before it's a totally different driving experience to any other BMW I've owned as it sits lower, has a smaller cabin and you sit just in front of the back wheels.

As has been suggested you really need to get in one as it will feel very different to what you have now. If you are ever around Berkshire you'd be welcome to have a look at mine. It may not hurt to try an MC too - although that might make you up the budget! :)

Anyway good luck whatever you decide to look for. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Z4 COUPSTER

Post by Z4 COUPSTER » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:30 pm

Petey wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:06 pm Thanks for the comments and advice guys, much appreciated. I think I will put the 1 series up for sale and see what interest I get...
as said bud if you want a spin and your in my area ill accommodate.
D
:thumbsup: Z in da Head.
3.0i Z3 sport,sapphire black,3.0i Z4 roadster Sterling grey,auto,Z4 3.0si Coupe Titanium silver,Stubby &B06 Plus some other German beauties!!