Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Classic old fart with new toy

First port of call for new members
scotty57

Post by scotty57 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:29 pm

Tony 007 & Shorty - wow - I guess I'm just an apprentice old fart ! Sometimes my knees and back tell me different though. I'm enjoying the spannering and the intellectual challenge of understanding modern car electrics. :o

Z4 COUPSTER

Post by Z4 COUPSTER » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:49 pm

scotty57 wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:38 pm ps - sorry about the orientation of the photos. Has anyone got a wind deflector to sell or tell me the best place to get one.
Incase you miss it.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=109072
D
:thumbsup: Z in da Head.
3.0i Z3 sport,sapphire black,3.0i Z4 roadster Sterling grey,auto,Z4 3.0si Coupe Titanium silver,Stubby &B06 Plus some other German beauties!!

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:59 pm

i have a perspex one and tested it upto a 100, its fine. :thumbsup: its fair to say there are few on the market of various orders of quality .
firebobby wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:23 pm Welcome to the forum, Stag has the best sounding V8 ever :thumbsup:
you mean the rover 3.5 lump that many stuck in it I assume.. the stag came with a 6 cylinder 2.5 and overheating problems
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
My wife says I never listen - or something like that.
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

Worcester_spoon

Post by Worcester_spoon » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:12 pm

Welcome! Ex MGB owner myself (was actually my first car as an 18 year old!). Look forward to following your story.
03 Z4R 3.0i/Silver/custom quad/330d brake upgrade/LSD/G-Power supercharger/FIC 365cc injectors/Severn Tuning map

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:17 pm

Worcester_spoon wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:12 pm Welcome! Ex MGB owner myself (was actually my first car as an 18 year old!). Look forward to following your story.
happy days, i had 3 of them, all old, all knackered, with the ridiculous twin 6v batteries and the screw in the middle that was always coming loose.. :rofl:
but i loved the sweet spot exhaust note around 2000 rpm, which prompty disappeared if you put another exhaust on ( which you did cus they were mild steel and rusted like a mad thing )
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:23 pm

road warrior wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:59 pm you mean the rover 3.5 lump that many stuck in it I assume.. the stag came with a 6 cylinder 2.5 and overheating problems
I don't think so - the only Stags I've seen had a Triumph built 3 litre V8. The ones with Rover V8s usually only got them because the Triumph unit had cooked itself! :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:34 pm

WELL I DO.. I REMEMBER THEM :poke:
"The initial Stag design was based around the saloon's 2.5-litre six cylinder engine, but Webster intended the Stag, large saloons and estate cars to use a new Triumph-designed overhead cam (OHC) 2.5-litre fuel injected (PI) V8. In 1968, under the direction of Webster's successor, Spen King, the new 2.5 PI V8 was enlarged to 2,997 cc (3 L; 183 cu in) to increase torque."

As you say, they suffered for poor cooling, might be wrong cus its so long ago, but i think the problem was the radiator was too small and it over heated and warped the head

i had a dolly sprint and the ritual was to fill up the radiator every morning and it was fine all day, but forget and you were in a world of trouble.

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:22 pm

No, I mean the Triumph V8, not the Rover unit. I loved the burble of my Stag V8, such a fine sound track. The original Triumph V8 is a fine engine, just needed finishing off.
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

scotty57

Post by scotty57 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:37 pm

I loved the Stag and the original TV8 was brillaint, it just needed proper maintenance. The original problems it had were apparently due to casting sand being left in the block which clogged up the waterways. The big design fault for me was having the coolant header tank below the level of the water pump....think about it !! There are many mods on the market for that though. The engine was 2 SAAB derived Dolomite motors combined. At the time of the engine development Triumph & Rover had fallen out (even though both under BL) and Triumph decided to go their own way. I had a couple of Dolly Sprints back in the day............now there is an idea.............

I'm loving the Zed, I've now sorted all the issues and it goes like a dream, so impressed with the 2.5i engine. If I get a project for restoration it may have to go though, it would be a great but for someone now its sorted.