Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

(not so) new Z4 Owner - Oxfordshire

First port of call for new members
PBandeira

(not so) new Z4 Owner - Oxfordshire

Post by PBandeira » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:06 pm

Hi All and first of all thanks for the massive amounts of content on this car!

I bought this 2005 e85 3.0 Roadster about a year ago now and I've been keeping tabs on what needs doing short/medium term. The car seems to be in really good condition from the previous owner and had the normal maintenance jobs done.

However a few things I know already:
- Airbag light came up not too long after I bought it - Carly says it's 98D4 - I wasn't able to find much info online on that one... I checked all the connections and reset it but it comes up straightaway

- Oil Change schedule says 8000miles to go - but I might do sooner rather than later - Do people use the recommended Castrol Edge 0w30?

- Tyres are ok but not much life left on the 4 of them (combination of Falken 452 & 453) , I've always used Yokohama Neovas on my cars but they don't seem to be very popular amongst Z4 owners...

- Another thing Carly says is the thermostat sensor is NFG, everything works fine and there is no engine check light but if you enquire for codes you get that error code (can't find it atm as I'm away on holiday)

- Brakes work well when cold but the fronts can get very warm and fade. Pedal stays OK when it fades so I suspect fluid is not too bad (I would replace it anyway) but maybe the discs are too thin? Are there forum's favourite discs/pads/fluid?

- Clutch seems to be ok-ish? Bite point is a bit on the high side and it slips a bit if you just take your foot off in 1st. But is it the valve? There is a tiny bit of vibration/kangarooing but only when very cold.

I appreciate there is a lot of info on the forum but if some kind soul could help me and also point me out to a basic maintenance schedule? I know the car had the variable intake mechanism done once, is it worth doing again? Is it worth changing Gearbox and Diff oils? Plugs?

Car has done just under 74k miles and it's not my daily driver. I'm ok with doing stuff myself but I'd probably prefer to go to an indy/local garage to get major jobs done.

PS: sorry for the long post!
Attachments
IMG_20180520_121159.jpg
IMG_20180520_121159.jpg (189.48 KiB) Viewed 363 times